Swap old S2000 for....

Caporegime
Thinking about swapping my s2000 for something else next year

It's getting quite old now (2001)
If I keep it it will need respray/wrap as more than a few scratches, blemishes and chips
Will be 90k miles I suspect by swap time

It's a good car and I very much want to stay with the 2 seater but practical sporty retractable roof type
I also don't want something a bit newer
I'm quite fussy on lools
Yes, this limits me!

Main thing I'm tempted by is porsche boxster 987 gen 2
I've been told they are fairly good handling

Another I like the look of is slk.. But I don't think they are as good

I'm not really sure what else fits in that price bracket

Last edited:
Soldato
How much are you looking to spend? Sounds like low to mid teens?

At that price it's really too much to pay for a first gen BMW Z4, but too little for a 2nd gen with a decent engine. A nice Z4M is within budget, but you have to want one as the running costs will be a fair bit more (though probably no more than a Boxster).

Soldato
How much are you looking to spend? Sounds like low to mid teens?

At that price it's really too much to pay for a first gen BMW Z4, but too little for a 2nd gen with a decent engine. A nice Z4M is within budget, but you have to want one as the running costs will be a fair bit more (though probably no more than a Boxster).

I was going to go from my MX5 to a S2000 but I couldn't justify it as enough of a step up, the Z4M is a completely different level in terms of performance and how much it costs to run, you have to really want it.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah annoying phone typo.. Look

And yes. Hairdressers car please. I'm in training don't you know!

And yep. Low to mid teens. That annoying price point where there isn't much!

Caporegime
I've been looking for years. Nothing yet.

Mine hit 174k yesterday but needs replacing soon as 16yr old Honda arch seem to disintegrate overnight.

I don't know what to get as I love the engine and driving experience of it. I don't need anything faster

Caporegime
OP

Mine hit 174k yesterday but needs replacing soon as 16yr old Honda arch seem to disintegrate overnight.

I don't know what to get as I love the engine and driving experience of it. I don't need anything faster

Mines definitely showing its age too. It's this more than anything makes me want a change. It's just such a slim pickings market.

Nothing stands out for less than double the money!

Z4M is a bit too refined from what I gather.
A new s2000 seems a bit pointless
Slk is a bit dull/slow/lifeless
As much as I like an exige.. I don't think it's practical enough

I very much like the rawness and how tactile it is.
But would love a bit more torque from standing

I can't see anything except a boxster.. Ugh is there anything in missing?

Soldato
Uh, I don't think a Z4M is that refined. Many reviews described it as a TVR made by BMW.

Certainly worth a look and not a dismissal in my opinion. Quite rare too and values are likely to remain exactly where they are for some time.

Caporegime
OP
Uh, I don't think a Z4M is that refined. Many reviews described it as a TVR made by BMW.

Certainly worth a look and not a dismissal in my opinion. Quite rare too and values are likely to remain exactly where they are for some time.

It's worth a test drive (although I'm crap in test drives.. Takes me a while to get to know a car)

Associate

Yeh refined is not what I would class my Z4m as in anyway shape or form. Unless you mean hearing every single noise the engine makes, not exactly smooth gear changes or suspension. It being called the BMW TVR is something I've seen mentioned a lot but as I have never driven a TVR despite my 12 year old self's great choice of an email address I cant say one way or another. But a 5 series (or even the same age M3) it is not.

To add to that the only thing mines cost me so far that needed doing since Feb is a new set of pads all round and front disc which I think cost me £500ish (pads cheap, discs not so much) using OEM parts (BMW wanted 900 just to do the fronts), other then that the only money I've spent on it is replacing warn out trim to freshen it up.

Last edited:
Caporegime

newest non chocolate piston S2000 you can find

Don
I know you discounted the z4m, but z4 the lesser 3.0si is exactly what I augmented too, similar to the s2000 but better in every single way, take one for a test drive I challenge you to not be impressed :)

Soldato
I'm biased since I've recently bought one and haven't really tested another roadster, Z4.

Though mine is the 231hp variant, I've yet to think "Hmm I need more power", I can only imagine an extra 100bhp from the M would make things quite more interesting.

Also I've found the car to be quite practical even though its missing rear seats, the boot is big for what it is, easily do the weekly shop, My old man managed to get his and his mates golf bags with room to spare in the back of it.

Great little car imo.

My second choice would have been S2000 if prices were not so high for lets say an 04-06

Caporegime
OP
Elise/VX220 ?

I'd just spend some money on refreshing the paint/suspension, you'll fall in love again.

Don't tempt me. I've always wanted an elise/exige but I just don't know if it could ever be an only car
And I always find me looking.

Would have to be the 1.8 vvtli which I had in my celica

I know you discounted the z4m, but z4 the lesser 3.0si is exactly what I augmented too, similar to the s2000 but better in every single way, take one for a test drive I challenge you to not be impressed :)

I think I'd have to get the z4m to make it worth it. Probably worth a test drive

Back
Top Bottom