Poll: Apple iPad Pro

Are you going to buy an iPad Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 146 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 295 66.9%

• Total voters
Associate
I like the concept of the iPad Pro however, despite its power, I still think that it's heavily restricted by the iOS. It needs a mobile version of Mac OS to really allow it to reach its full potential - also, the price of that thing is just crazy! iOS is fine in iPhone and generic iPad format, but the Pro needs some of the software limitations of iOS removing.

Don
I like the concept of the iPad Pro however, despite its power, I still think that it's heavily restricted by the iOS. It needs a mobile version of Mac OS to really allow it to reach its full potential - also, the price of that thing is just crazy! iOS is fine in iPhone and generic iPad format, but the Pro needs some of the software limitations of iOS removing.

The thing is, a lot of people want those restrictions.
An artist I know is about to buy one of these after getting fed up with her Surface Pro 3. She's totally non-technical and so a full featured PC is just too much hassle for her. She just wants something that works immediately with no faf and I think it's people like her who Apple are marketing to. People like us who like to get under the hood are not the target market IMO.

I would love an OSX based tablet but I don't think Apple will ever go there.

Soldato
The thing is, a lot of people want those restrictions.
An artist I know is about to buy one of these after getting fed up with her Surface Pro 3. She's totally non-technical and so a full featured PC is just too much hassle for her. She just wants something that works immediately with no faf and I think it's people like her who Apple are marketing to. People like us who like to get under the hood are not the target market IMO.

I would love an OSX based tablet but I don't think Apple will ever go there.
Imagine a 15" macbook pro, but without a keyboard and with an ipad like touch screen. With OS X of course. It would be incredible for productivity

Soldato
It would be terrible for productivity as OSX isn't designed for touch.

I'm glad that Apple hasn't gone down the Windows route of trying to bodge touch controls on top of a legacy user interface. I'd rather have two operating systems optimised for their own thing.

Soldato
It would be terrible for productivity as OSX isn't designed for touch.

I'm glad that Apple hasn't gone down the Windows route of trying to bodge touch controls on top of a legacy user interface. I'd rather have two operating systems optimised for their own thing.
Fair point. I suppose it would have to be a sort of hybrid between OS X and iOS, with the intuitiveness of iOS but with the capability of OS X

Associate
As Finance Director of the company I work for I thought I'd have a go at justifying spend of £878 (iPad + apple care) plus £79 (Apple Pencil).

The benefits case:
- as trial for replacement for paper notebook with pencil & app like notability
- as portable extended display for win 10 laptop via duet display
- replacement to my 2011 iPad...so media consumption / dicking around
- itching a massive pre-Christmas scratch for shiny new toys

Weighting in strict reverse order...of course.

I am forecasting positive NPV as a result of:
- one-off big smile when I get my hands on new toys.
- recurring smaller smiles any time I use.
- special bonus for any usage which is in any way vaguely productive or related to work.
- ongoing smiles as I buy and use additional related gizmos and apps.

I fully approve of the "pro" label as it makes it easier to position as business rather than personal spend and offset against corporation tax liability.

I have reviewed the business case and I think it is sound. Approval granted. Proceed to order.

noj

noj

Associate
I wasn't going to....right up to the point that my cousin offered me his staff discount on one. 128gb picked up for £660

Permabanned
OP
Astropad works really nice on the Pro...

image.jpg

Associate
Can those with an iPad pro check this for me.
Can you turn on/off the option, reduce white point in the accessibility,contrast in general settings.
For me it doesn't make a difference similar to what it does on my iPad Air and iPhone.
It should dim the screen but it doesn't on my iPad Pro.
Regards.

Back
Top Bottom