Bedroom Is Freezing, What Do I Check For?

Soldato
More insulation wont stop damp, it will make it worse as less air is moving in the house although it will affect make the heating more effective

To stop damp you need more air and to up the temps you need to shut the windows and have the heating on so in some houses its a constant battle, most people resolve it with dehumidifiers, extraction fans in bathrooms and kitchens etc

Was that reply for me? If so who mentioned damp, no issue with damp just a cold house due to lack of insulation for us.

Soldato
Was that reply for me? If so who mentioned damp, no issue with damp just a cold house due to lack of insulation for us.

Calm down.

You add more insulation you start to get damp, for example in an older house the walls are meant to breath but people have them filled with insulation to keep the warmth in, this then causes damp in the right conditions

Its not going to be the case for every house I'm just saying it happens

Soldato
Calm down.

You add more insulation you start to get damp, for example in an older house the walls are meant to breath but people have them filled with insulation to keep the warmth in, this then causes damp in the right conditions

Its not going to be the case for every house I'm just saying it happens

The plan is to install underfloor and loft insulation and leave the wall alone, i cant see any signs of previous cavity insulation.
I know that with loft you leave a space at the extremes for the cavity and roof to breath, and the underfloor you leave a gap again and keep all air bricks open.

Soldato
I would leave vent in window open for airflow.

Is this a north facing room?

Perhaps running an oil filled rad in the room on a timer may help. Gaps in the floor/windows, door would be my first stop. Then as others have said it's insulation above/below.

As you're renting you will probably be very limited as to what you can do but keeping some airflow in a room is quite important, particularly a bedroom.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
You could try putting up some wallrock thermal wallpaper, I have put it on all external facing walls (cant have cavity walls) and its made a massive difference, quicker to warm the room up and holds the heat a little better. Oh and get some of the radiator reflector from screwfix @ £7 a roll its a steal and works really well, again only if no cavity walls.

Soldato
My little downstairs toilet was feeling a little moist and freezing. Getting the heating on and putting the window on the latch helped greatly! Should be all good once I've moved in properly!

Soldato
If so check under the carpet for underlay, it seems silly but this does help a lot.

Good call, we will be going with some of that nice thick 11mm cloud9 underlay.

Had a look at the Wallrock stuff as well and fancy trying the KV600 stuff 4mm lining paper should help on exterior facing walls and ceilings.

Soldato
OP
Oooh thanks guys, learning loads here.

IIRC from the room gallery thread your room has bare brick walls and is in an attic, or am I thinking of someone else?

I'm guessing it is down to a lack of insulation in the walls and the roof space.

It's me! but my old house :( :( She made me move cause it was too masculine. In fairness, it was totally a bachelor pad (and pretty impractical).

Ok so. There's no obvious drafts but it IS noticeably colder by the window. The radiator is working (and is large) so theres no worries there. The gap under the door ive started stuffing when i go out to see if it makes a difference (today's weather was noticeably more mild than recent days so nothing reliable to report). Insulation i havent checked, so that might be a good place to look although the other upstairs rooms seem fine (badly laid maybe?). Under the room is the living room which is stupidly warm all the time, but also the entry hall which does get a little nippy.. so that could be a big factor? The bedroom carpet is... well it looks like it was laid by someone who had once heard about carpet by rough description; so i assume insulation and underlay is equally as shoddy. Could be a cause there.

I'm reluctant to put too much effort in as it's rented, but I want to learn how to figure these things out and all your suggestions are perfect. I'll be buying my first place next year and i'll need to know how to fix this stuff.

As for the poltergeists idea.. well, the GF is convinced my Dad is knocking about so who knows ;)

My feelings from your responses is poor window seal (it is definitely cooler by the window) and bad floor insulation. Ill report back with more findings!

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Good call, we will be going with some of that nice thick 11mm cloud9 underlay.

Had a look at the Wallrock stuff as well and fancy trying the KV600 stuff 4mm lining paper should help on exterior facing walls and ceilings.

Dont bother with the ceilings and 11mm underlay means the doors will have to come off :)

Back
Top Bottom