Nexus 5 leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
KitKat thread is already here :p: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18539264

Nice find, but I wonder if that's the final design? Looks very different from the N4/GN, yet it also seems to match the N7 more. Would be interesting if Google decides to give all the new Nexus devices a more similiar design to each other. Or it could be hinting Asus really is the one manufacturing the N5...

Associate
OP
Looks like the same LG logo at the bottom as on the nexus 4.. I can't wait though it looks awesome.. The video got removed on YouTube.. It has to be real! Lol

Aod

Aod

Soldato
I like the design, it seems quite square with minimal curvature, but it also looks even bigger than the N4 which is pretty much as big a phone as I can handle :(

Soldato
Do consumers really want gigantic phones like this? Or is this just the result of the numbers war that we have (more cores, higher clock speeds and bigger displays = a better device)?

The Nexus 4 is about the right size, if anything I'd want a 720p display at 4.3". 5.2" or even 5.0" is getting a little silly.

I'm not talking about whether the sales figures suggest that people want devices that large (as there is the whole "iPhone sux" crew who buy a Samsung phone purely because it isn't an iPhone, because they're a bit sad, and therefore will say that they want the larger display for the sake of it), but do people actually think that displays so large are actually convenient?

Pretty unsure now, whether to go iPhone or Nexus 5 - the form factor alone is seriously making me consider using the former (I'm completely neutral when it comes the OS). Pretty much refuse to buy anything other than a Nexus because I prefer stock Android and like the software support (whether that be through custom ROMs or official).

Soldato
If the Nexus 5 is based on the LG G2 as rumoured, then the size of that is only 4.6x2.2x0.2mm biggerthan the Nexus 4, not exactly much bigger yet it's got a larger screen, it's win-win :p

For me as well if it's sub £300 with a minimum of 16Gb I'll be getting one of these :)

Associate
Do consumers really want gigantic phones like this? Or is this just the result of the numbers war that we have (more cores, higher clock speeds and bigger displays = a better device)?

The Nexus 4 is about the right size, if anything I'd want a 720p display at 4.3". 5.2" or even 5.0" is getting a little silly.

I'm not talking about whether the sales figures suggest that people want devices that large (as there is the whole "iPhone sux" crew who buy a Samsung phone purely because it isn't an iPhone, because they're a bit sad, and therefore will say that they want the larger display for the sake of it), but do people actually think that displays so large are actually convenient?

Pretty unsure now, whether to go iPhone or Nexus 5 - the form factor alone is seriously making me consider using the former (I'm completely neutral when it comes the OS). Pretty much refuse to buy anything other than a Nexus because I prefer stock Android and like the software support (whether that be through custom ROMs or official).

Yep I want a 5" phone, happy to go to 6" if the One Max turns out to be worth it. Using my phone for calls isn't as important as in the past as I communication via text more than voice now. So a nice big screen I can use to read documents on is primary.

Soldato
If the Nexus 5 is based on the LG G2 as rumoured, then the size of that is only 4.6x2.2x0.2mm biggerthan the Nexus 4, not exactly much bigger yet it's got a larger screen, it's win-win :p

For me as well if it's sub £300 with a minimum of 16Gb I'll be getting one of these :)

True, but even so, a bigger display will be more difficult to navigate.

Not saying that this will be a bad device (no doubt it'll be excellent, as is the N4 IMO) and that the display doesn't serve a purpose, but the whole "big display" thing does seem to be driven more by numbers than usability. Of course, this isn't a trait only the N5 "suffers" from, just happens I'm bringing this up now.

Soldato
I guess it depends on usage, for one handed 'basic' usage like text messages etc then yeah a smaller, and specifically thinner phone/screen are ideal, but for web browsing, gaming, videos, emails, etc then the larger screen is far better.

For me at least the latter is far more indicative of my usage, if I'm using my phone one handed then I'm only checking something very quickly, the contents of a text message, the header of an email etc, anything else I use two hands and size stops being an issue.

I beleive the general consensus is that people do actually want bigger screens (to a point at least, which the G2 is probably borderline for, 'phablets' with much bigger screens are a bit more of a niche), rather than it just being a case of a pure numbers game

Soldato

Anybody with man sized hands wouldn't be maoning about the size :p

Man of Honour
The S4 is the maximum size I'd want my phone, any bigger than that and it would be daft trying to do anything one handed. Also the 5 inch screen is just nice for it to be any better then it would have to go up to 7 inches like my N7.

Soldato
Might also be a bit more expensive now that the Hynix factory just burst into flames and DRAM prices are going mental :/ But on the upside as nexus devices don't come with much built in it should only be a small bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom