The 'Official' Screenshot & Tips thread 4 FSX enthusiasts & flight simmers.

Soldato
Vuvuzela, thanks. It was awesome. And yes a C172..

Tonight - nope.
Weds - yes.
Thursday - nope.
Friday - tentative.
Saturday / Sunday - most probably.

And you're now a P3D convert? I love the idea, but wouldn't look forward to the prospect of conversion and cost of porting over for (IMO) not much gain to my use of FSX. If it gave a solid 5-10 fps increase and use of all my current planes and sceneries, then I'm there!

And we're into the xmas period ..Where's the T7 and A320?! :confused:

Associate
Wednesday should be good and I’m about on the weekend too. Will keep my eyes on the forum.

Not 100% convert yet! Still running FSX. I’m getting a slight increase in FPS e.g. Gatwick Extreme in FSX I get 10/15fps on P3D I get about 20/25 but that also depends on what plane I use and weather etc. I get a constant 30FPS most of the time though. To be honest I don’t think it’s been a massive performance increase but it is so stable. I haven’t had one error or crash or anything like that. Stutters have all gone just feels right!

Cost wise

P3D - £30 – Rumour about paying a fee when v2 comes, nobody sure yet.
Migration Tool - £9
REX -£3 for licence, once off cost. Just have to change the directory when using fsx or p3d.
Ifly - £8 to use in P3D - You can’t use the tool.
ATR – Cant use the tool and no talk about using in P3D.
Orbx – for older scenery and airports they have a “FREE” tool to use in P3D. All the latest scenery and airports e.g. EU England, has a install for FSX and P3D so just select the different folders.
Quality Wings – has an install for P3D and FSX again just select what folder.
Caranado – Used Migration tool
PMDG – Not tried this yet. Read you can’t use Migration tool
Avilasoft EFB – Used the migration tool
SquawkBox – Migration tool, but launch from Windows not in P3D. Not sure about FSINN?

That’s all I have paid for. The migration tool is brilliant, you don’t have to do any tweaking it does it for you. All you have to do is click a button “Enable Virtual FSX”

http://www.flightsim.ee/products/fsx-to-prepar3d-migration-tool

The above is what I use and have. Reading the different forums you can use 90% of the software using the migration tool.

Vuvu, how do you find Prepar3d? Did you get much of a performance boost? Do you have to do lots of cfg tweaks to get it running well?

Ringo as mentioned above, finding it very good and very solid. It uses much less CPU usage. Performance has been better in certain areas and scenarios. It hasn’t been massive.

I did 4 tweaks that’s all. The 1026 to 4096 tweak is gone and the 4.500000 to 6.50000 also gone never have to change that again :D. I followed Kosta’s tweaks.

Have a look at this, Kosta has done some good Comparison‘s with FSX and P3D

http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-vs-p3d-performance-comparison/

Edit:
Oh yes, I have 1 issue with P3D, it doesn’t have a free flight option. So to get the fight you want, e.g. Gatwick, Day/Summer, Caranado 172 etc. It restarts about 4 times, because ever time you choose a different option it resets itself. Quite frustrating to be honest. :mad: BUT.......

There is a brilliant tool called Simlauncher(its free :)) and it acts exactly like free flight option in FSX, so you choose all your options and you launch p3d once. :D

Again, rumour has it that there will be a free flight option in the next big update.

I will try load up some photos too.

Any other questions about p3d please ask. Only been using it about a week but will try answer whatever I can.

Last edited:
Associate
SquawkBox – Migration tool, but launch from Windows not in P3D. Not sure about FSINN?

I believe that FSInn can be made to work with P3D, see http://forum.avsim.net/topic/380397-how-to-fscopilot-fsinn-with-prepar3d/

If you fly on a private FSD server, like I do with guys in the Bristol Flight Sim Group, you need FSInn as SB4 reports the server is too old. I've not tried this as that fix wasn't around when I had a free trial month of P3D around last Christmas.

Associate
I believe that FSInn can be made to work with P3D, see http://forum.avsim.net/topic/380397-how-to-fscopilot-fsinn-with-prepar3d/

If you fly on a private FSD server, like I do with guys in the Bristol Flight Sim Group, you need FSInn as SB4 reports the server is too old. I've not tried this as that fix wasn't around when I had a free trial month of P3D around last Christmas.

Picnic, thanks for clearly that up. So both SB and FSInn work in P3D. I’ve always used SB(never got FSInn working :rolleyes:)and its working well in P3D.

Associate
long story short, theres an article regarding small incident involving an unstable approach and go around which got a few comments bashing ryanair's safety, ryanairs legal team are now asking for both the comments to be removed and the article edited, whilst threating further legal action on the basis it undermines their reputation (think the reputation part was aimed more at the comments than the article though).

Or at least thats my take on it anyhoo.

Associate
Soldato
V, I wasn't going to fly, but then I grabbed some time at 8pm, so tried to get a flight into EGNX.

I set off from Bristol in the ATR. I was using my newly obtained kit which unfortunately doesn't all work with the ATR. Alt, Hdg and the other dials don't work with this, but does work with the Lancair, ifly at default planes.

There was no control at Bristol, and I made contact with London. The flight was really enjoyable and the skies were busy. I was put into the hold at Pigot.

Now, back to the controls; all through the flight, thanks to this kit, the engine dials was surging.This didn't affect the autopilot too much but needs fine tuning.

When I disengaged autopilot to land, it all went wrong. I was too slow, then too fast, I should have gone around, but couldn't be faffed so I took a plunge for the runway and got down and off on my designated taxiway just in time.

On the VATSIM forum, there's good feedback from the event.

I'm going to need to have a week of IFR circuits to practice with my toys.

This week is looking busy. I reckon I can do Thursday.

Associate
V, I wasn't going to fly, but then I grabbed some time at 8pm, so tried to get a flight into EGNX.

I set off from Bristol in the ATR. I was using my newly obtained kit which unfortunately doesn't all work with the ATR. Alt, Hdg and the other dials don't work with this, but does work with the Lancair, ifly at default planes.

There was no control at Bristol, and I made contact with London. The flight was really enjoyable and the skies were busy. I was put into the hold at Pigot.

Now, back to the controls; all through the flight, thanks to this kit, the engine dials was surging.This didn't affect the autopilot too much but needs fine tuning.

When I disengaged autopilot to land, it all went wrong. I was too slow, then too fast, I should have gone around, but couldn't be faffed so I took a plunge for the runway and got down and off on my designated taxiway just in time.

On the VATSIM forum, there's good feedback from the event.

I'm going to need to have a week of IFR circuits to practice with my toys.

This week is looking busy. I reckon I can do Thursday.

It looked very busy on Sunday. As I said, I got on a bit late.

I’m sure you will get used to the hardware very soon mate, trial and error I guess.

Yes I’m about on Thursday so look forward to that.

Associate
Bluetonic - thanks for your post on your real world flight. I haven't got the spare cash to learn to fly but have always thought about a trial/experience type flight - your post has at least spurred me on to find some local schools. It does appear I'm pretty limited for choice up here and prices for a 60 minute session are around £150 so will have to hope Santa is kind to me.

Reading through the other posts it does seem that a few here fly on vatsim. My FSX flying tends to be in small aircraft and VFR - would vatsim add anything? I like the appeal of real life ATC but also find the whole thing a bit intimidating!

Soldato
Hey guys, just a quick heads up that Captain Sim are doing each of their excellent products at 9.99 for 24hrs, so if you want to pick up some great aircraft (love the c130 and 777) I'd jump on it.

Soldato
Bluetonic - thanks for your post on your real world flight.

You're welcome. It was a joy to do, and then write and share.

Reading through the other posts it does seem that a few here fly on vatsim. My FSX flying tends to be in small aircraft and VFR - would vatsim add anything? I like the appeal of real life ATC but also find the whole thing a bit intimidating!

VATSIM opened up a whole new world of FSX for me. There is so much to take onboard, but any of the seasoned VATSIM-ers from here will answer any question you may have, no matter what.

I'm hoping to fly tonight from 7.30-8pm. If you're about and have a headset/mic, download the Mumble voice client and set it up with the instructions from earlier in this thread. If not, we can arrange a tutorial flight one evening.

This is a superb timelapse from the VATSIM East Midlands event:

http://joejenkins.me/radar.html

I'm flying as AUR644D and make a radar appearance at 8m.43s. I was put into the hold at Pigot, then vectored over the runway for a right hand turn to capture the localizer. My landing was awful, but that's another story. :o

Devrij, thanks for the heads-up on the CapSim stuff.

Soldato
alright guys, such a newbie here. im playing the missions in single player, have tweaked my system so its all running smoothish, where on earth do i start with all this multiplayer? do you guys have your own servers? or should i keep practising.

Soldato
alright guys, such a newbie here. im playing the missions in single player, have tweaked my system so its all running smoothish, where on earth do i start with all this multiplayer? do you guys have your own servers? or should i keep practising.

Well done on a good start. No servers of our own.

Multiplayer in a nutshell
1. Get a headset/mic
2. Download and setup Mumble Voice client
3. Get a Gamespy account (through FSX multiplayer tab)
4. Get a VATSIM account
5. Be here one evening to fly with Vuvuzela, Me et al and we'll teach the basics of multiplayer flying.

This weekend, I'm possibly free on Saturday afternoon, early Sunday evening and back to some 7.30pm(s) next week.

Back
Top Bottom