• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Reusing CPU

Associate
Hi guys i want to build a new PC that is air cooled this time as can't be bothered with the hassle of water cooling again. Want to upgrade my 2 x 7970 to a GTX 1080 and I know the PSU which is a Corsair AX1200 will be fine but i'm not sure how my CPU compares to current CPUs as to be honest not really been keeping up with lately. I have an i7 3930k, would this hold back the graphics card? Also wondering if the 16GB DDR3 would slow the system down. I plan to use a HTC Vive on this system.

Thanks.

Soldato
Yeah just stick a decent air cooler on so you can overclock it still, the higher clock speed will help keep the fps up in some games.

Associate
Sandybridge-E, like the others have said keep it. You should see a boost from dx12 when more games take advantage of it and unless you play at a really low resolution you'll be gpu limited in the majority of games before cpu limited.

Back
Top Bottom