• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8150 upgrade ideas required

Associate
Looking at getting abit speed/power from my system with my old gfx dieing early in the year I got a free upgrade via warranty for it feel now its the CPU im losing on so possibly looking at an upgrade.

AM3+ chips all seem reasonable these days, VR could be on the cards soon and CPU fails all tests everything else passes fine.

Mainly need to know if is worthy upgrade or im just getting a minor tweak

specs here

990FX SABERTOOTH
AMD 8150
390X R9 ATI GFX
16GIG VENGEANCE
256SSD
3TB DRIVE

Throw suggestions my way please :p

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're keeping the motherboard you could try a Piledriver CPU such as the 8320. On paper it's an improvement over your Bulldozer, in reality it's very hard to predict because OS and software optimizations changed over time. If you're using a nice high screen res with that 390X you might not see much difference.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/434?vs=698

Only other option is completely new platform, probably Intel Skylake, or wait for Zen.

Associate
OP
If you're keeping the motherboard you could try a Piledriver CPU such as the 8320. On paper it's an improvement over your Bulldozer, in reality it's very hard to predict because OS and software optimizations changed over time. If you're using a nice high screen res with that 390X you might not see much difference.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/434?vs=698

Only other option is completely new platform, probably Intel Skylake, or wait for Zen.

Those comparisons don't seem like a huge leap forward and possibly worth to stick with it until I fancy a major upgrade cpu/mobo.

how about a Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 9590 ?

Soldato
9590 is just a faster clocked 8320. Not worth the premium.

AMD launches a new CPU and motherboard range at the end of 2016 (probably early 2017, for wide availability). might be worth hanging on until then to see the state of the market.

Associate
OP
9590 is just a faster clocked 8320. Not worth the premium.

AMD launches a new CPU and motherboard range at the end of 2016 (probably early 2017, for wide availability). might be worth hanging on until then to see the state of the market.

Thanks for that defo worth a wait I guess

Associate
Hey Adam,

Is your Sabertooth an R2.0? If not you'll be limited to the 8XXX series. The 9XXX are just factory oc'd versions. I managed to get a 9370 really cheap so was a good upgrade for my 8120.

But as others have said, if you can bear with it till the end of the year, Zen should be around and then you can either upgrade to that or pick up a cheap cpu from someone who has *wink* *wink*

Associate
OP
Hey Adam,

Is your Sabertooth an R2.0? If not you'll be limited to the 8XXX series. The 9XXX are just factory oc'd versions. I managed to get a 9370 really cheap so was a good upgrade for my 8120.

But as others have said, if you can bear with it till the end of the year, Zen should be around and then you can either upgrade to that or pick up a cheap cpu from someone who has *wink* *wink*

Invoice states "Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SB950 DDR3 ATX TUF R2.0" so I think so :cool:

Associate
OP
Thats a great motherboard being held back by your cpu.

Second hand 8320 and a big cooler and you will hit 4.5 minimum. Will be a good match for your 390x.

I have closed loop cooler for the cpu so im sure this would be suffice? your think an overclocked 8320 would be a good upgrade?

Associate
Sounds like you have the cooling sorted then.

8320 will give some extra grunt, whether its needed depends on if you are unhappy with performance with any games on your current cpu :D

Back
Top Bottom