• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 4690K Temp Issues?

Associate
I was running a NZXT H440 with a MSI Gaming 7 motherboard H100i GTX cooler. All my temps where fine never over 65° at 4.6Ghz 1.21v whilst gaming long sessions

However I have switched to a Antec P50 and a Asus Z97-Plus for a smaller build to fit on my desk, Everything else remains the same.

The problem I am having is the temperatures now of the i5 4690K are thermal throttling even at stock voltage and stock core. I have used HWmonitor and HWInfo64 both show the same temps and I am testing with the CPUZ stress CPU feature. I have tried reseating the CPU applying new thermal paste which did help a little but still idle temps of 60°+ on idle.
Also the temps as soon as i click test will jump within a second up by around 20°?

Anyone have any ideas I know its a smaller case but I wouldn't expect this much temperature increase considering everything is at stock

I am also running the latest BIOS, No Asus suite installed Qfan disabled & even if I max the fans out on the CPU and case temps will still be over 60°+ at idle on stock

Associate
OP
Possibly a faulty cooler, is the pump working? these cheap AIOs aren't exactly renown for their reliability.

There doesn't seem to be loads of heat from the radiator fans blowing but not sure if that's cause I am used to the H440 top vent having a build up of heat before pressure pushes it out.

Everything was fine until the board and case change

Though my original 105 did fail and I payed extra to get the H100i GTX

Associate
OP
double check all your H100i's connections. do you have corsair link installed? what pump speed is it showing?

also worth trying to reseat the cooler.

All connections for the H100i are fine

Corsair Link is installed

Pump in Link shows 3100RPM, But the Top tube is hot and the other tube cold with no real feel of flow through the tube

Confused:confused:

Associate
one tube should take the hot water away and the other should bring back cool water.
I wonder if you have an airlock in the loop. You could try turning the system over and running it for a few minutes in hope that it will get rid of the airlock if this is the problem.

Associate
OP
one tube should take the hot water away and the other should bring back cool water.
I wonder if you have an airlock in the loop. You could try turning the system over and running it for a few minutes in hope that it will get rid of the airlock if this is the problem.

Cheers I will have a look tonight see what happens

Soldato
No joy still as high as ever, Not sure now will try asking Corsair. Anyone think it could be a issue with the new board?

Asus boards' stock Vcore and LLC are high recently and making CPUs run hotter than on other boards till tweaked. BUT I don't think enough to cause what you describe in this situation. Still, you can try eliminating it from the equation by entering a manual Vcore and lowering the LLC. And then proceed from there.

Back
Top Bottom