• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is a 6950x suitable for my mobo?

Associate
i've got a 5820k in an evga micro 2 at the moment and I want to futureproof my rig, ideally to a 6950x.

is this a bad idea, i.e will it be bottlenecked or not work at all?

i'm not up to speed on the compatibility of haswell-e focused x99 motherboards like mine. is it a case of a bios upgrade or something similar?

cheers

Soldato
you could put it in the board with a bios update but it would be a waste on money and quite pointless. anything that uses that number of threads would be better off with a xeon and for gaming a 5820k is already overkill.

Associate
OP
you could put it in the board with a bios update but it would be a waste on money and quite pointless. anything that uses that number of threads would be better off with a xeon and for gaming a 5820k is already overkill.

I do game on it, along with the odd bit of video work and streaming around the house which my current chip is fine for, but I built my pc primarily as an audio workstation and anything beyond 60 channels in my daw usually taxes my 5820k considerably. More cores is the way to go and the 6950x looks like the fastest chip available at the moment.

I'm not sure how i'd be better off with a xeon as it would mean selling my entire pc and building a new one....

Associate
OP
You could build a second full system for the cost of just the CPU upgrade.

and why would I want to do that?

I want to to be able to use 10 cores if possible, and to not have to worry about upgrading my cpu in the next 5-7 years, not to build a second system with the same components I have now...

Associate
The guy wants a 6950x

Loads of people buy them, 8pack bathes in them and no one says a word

he knows what he wants.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to the Op question but can't you help him out

Associate
Yes it does I have one in a micro 2 in matx system I am building.
Just make sure bios is 2.01, it detected my M2 drive no trouble too.

Back
Top Bottom