• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 3570k overclock suddenly fails after months of use

Associate
Hi,

I turned on my PC earlier (after it had been off for the night) and instead of booting into windows, I got a black screen apart from 2 messages.

1) saying that my overclock settings had failed, and that I could try reboot

2) to enter setup and remove the overclock settings

I followed number 2, removed the overclock and windows booted just fine.

My question is, why would this suddenly happen? I was running my i5 3570k @ 4.3ghz for atleast 4 months with no crashes/hangups/freezes etc. Temps were below 70c under loads. Voltage was slightly above 1.32v.

Any ideas so to why it would suddenly stop working?

I haven't changed any hardware recently, and my PSU is more than adequate

Thanks

Associate
OP
If it just happened once, I would just restore the overclock and see how it goes.

Just tried it again at 4.3ghz, doesn't boot. Tried at 4.2ghz, same thing.

Works fine at stock (3.4ghz) but that's it. My pc turns on, all the fans spin, then some numbers/letter appears bottom right like AO B2 etc.

Before any issues, these numbers would fly past, but now they appear and linger for a lot longer.

Soldato
ICs degrade over time.

I don't know how your mobo decided that the overclock is no good, but if it's true I wouldn't be surprised. All you can do is go through the motions again and see if you can get back to those settings with stability. If it takes more voltage than it used to that's par for the course really.

Or it could be the mobo being silly. No idea what it's doing to come up with this warning.

Soldato
My 3570k started to fail overclock and it turned out to be the ram.

I dont think cpu would degrade to the point of not booting at 4.3mhz.

What I would do is if you have a bios switch try the other bios and also try testing each ram stick one at a time

Associate
OP
My 3570k started to fail overclock and it turned out to be the ram.

I dont think cpu would degrade to the point of not booting at 4.3mhz.

What I would do is if you have a bios switch try the other bios and also try testing each ram stick one at a time

By RAM do you mean the ram was faulty or you had to down clock them or something?

Soldato
By RAM do you mean the ram was faulty or you had to down clock them or something?

I had to downclock it, I had been running my ram at 2133mhz and my 3570k at 4.7mhz 1.4v for 3 years then I started getting random blue screens so I dropped my processor down to 4.6 and it was ok for a while then after a few months more random blue screens then dropped to 4.5mhz was alright for a while then more random blue screens.

In the end it turned out it was my ram that needed dropping my processor still fine at 4.7mhz.

Mine was slow process sounds like yours might be a completely failed ram stick.

Soldato
Yep I would be more inclined to look at your RAM too, could be possible that your bios is corrupt as a result of dodgy stick of RAM. Had the same issue with a Z77 board and a 3770k. Anything above the stock multiplier would refuse to boot.

Reset your CPU OC back to stock and see if you can boot with your RAM above 1333Mhz.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I just put it back to stock, with ram back at 1866 and it all works fine. I then put it back to 4.3 with ram the same and it works fine, how odd. Unfortunately my motherboard won't allow me to reduce CPU voltage

Soldato
How are you overclocking your CPU southernorth? Just raising the multiplier or are you using some overclocking software? Im interested what motherboard you're using also, i didnt know they did mobos that allow overclocking without voltage control anymore, i know some have reduced overclocking features like the lack of Load Line Calibration in MSI boards but i thought the minimum ya would want from a overclocking board would be voltage and MHZ adjustments :)

Associate
OP
How are you overclocking your CPU southernorth? Just raising the multiplier or are you using some overclocking software? Im interested what motherboard you're using also, i didnt know they did mobos that allow overclocking without voltage control anymore, i know some have reduced overclocking features like the lack of Load Line Calibration in MSI boards but i thought the minimum ya would want from a overclocking board would be voltage and MHZ adjustments :)

I'm using a msi z77a-g43

I'm just raising the multiplayer, from 34 to 43. Wish I could reduce voltage. I could be wrong ofcourse about not reducing voltage, but I have the newest bio version and there is nothing which obviously allows me to reduce voltage. It does allow me to increase voltage though, but that doesn't help of course.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but isnt using multiplier dangerous on ivy and sandy?

Edit: Im thinking of blk

Last edited:
Soldato
I just put it back to stock, with ram back at 1866 and it all works fine. I then put it back to 4.3 with ram the same and it works fine, how odd. Unfortunately my motherboard won't allow me to reduce CPU voltage

I have had same thing happen with my msi board and 3570k where I would get overclock failed with some ram timings then change them only to have it work again later with same timings.

Back
Top Bottom