Le Mans - Circuit de la Sarthe 2016 – FIA WEC – Race 3 / 9

Soldato
So the 2nd place Ferrari protested the 1st placed Ford about speeding in a Slow Zone and they got a 50 second penalty, plus another 20 second penalty for a wheel sensor issue. That droped them to 2nd and promoted the Ferrari to 1st.

But then Ford protested the Ferrari based on faulty leader lights which they refused to honor the fix for in the race and instead the protest got them a 20 second penalty applied after the race, dropping them back into 2nd and promoting the Ford back up to 1st!

So shenanigans all round!

Further to this, Ferrari protested that the Ford was contravening the 107% rule whereby the GTE Pro class has to be lapping over 107% of the times posted by the LMP2, to prevent their pace being too similar.

Ultimately this all comes down to crap sportsmanship by Ford. They don't race at Le Mans for years, decide they'd like a publicity stunt so design a car specifically for GTE, say that there will be a road car, even though none have been built yet, are allowed to compete anyway - a publicity stunt for the ACO I'd say - then sandbag massively. Everything they've done has been in contravention of the spirit of the GT class. Road going GT cars modified to race and performance balanced based on the warm up and practice sessions.

I think the ACO were more than aware however, setting up a nice Ferrari vs Ford battle for the 50th anniversary, and some extra press coverage whilst at it.

Soldato
Ah the ZEOD, the 2nd of 3 attempts by Nissan to make itself look utterly stupid. I really have started to dislike them in Sports Car racing.

Their following attempt (and huge amount of wasted money) was the GT-R LM Nismo, which was described as being 'very dangerous' to drive. I'd honestly not expect them to try anything out of the ordinary for quite some time.

The Ford vs Ferrari thing - ACO probably knew about it all and just went for it. Free publicity for the sport with all of the advertising and hype around it.

I liked the talk of hybrid GTE cars. Porsche had a hybrid 911 a few year back if I remember correctly. The new NSX would be a good one to have and unlike the aforementioned GT, at least it's already a car.

Caporegime
Porsche started the whole Hybrid sports car era off with the 911 GT3 RSR Hybrid back in 2010 when they put the Williams Flywheel KERS technology in a GT3 and created a car with 200BHP more than its rivals that could also go further on a tank of fuel.

As for Nissan, they have a recent history of over promising and then under delivering and walking away.
In 2012 they jumped aboard the Delta Wing and all seemed great, but as soon as Le Mans was over they stole Ben Bowlby and all the Delta Wing designs away from the American based Delta Wing team, which basically stiffled any chance that the car could really make waves in GT racing.
Then they took the 2014 Garage 56 entry under the promise of a "full electric" Le Mans car, yet turned up with a "not a Delta Wing" that was a petrol engined car but with a motor and massive battery bolted to it that could juuuust about do 9 miles on electric power alone, yet claimed it was some sort of break through. That promptly broke down about 2 laps into the race and they threw the "not a Delta Wing" project in the trash.
Then in 2015 they anounced a full on manufacturer assault on WEC with the GT-R LM, promised a design they couldn't deliver, failed to turn up to any rounds other than Le Mans where they were woeful, and then threw that project in the bin too.

Soldato
The garage 56 entry this year was much more impressive than Nissan's recent attempts.

Didn't really enjoy the GT pro this year, thought the 'rivalry' kind of spoilt it... Thought the GT Am was much better.

Soldato
Great stuff every year from the GTE section, very few mistakes from the AM this year too! Although every time I see Dalla Lana I think of what happened to him at Le Mans last year. So close to getting the win, but binning it into the wall. :(

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
As I can't see another thread for WEC (feeling too ill for the effort to search :p)..

Audi are flying at the 6H of Nurburgring. :eek: Toyota seem to be half a second off the pace.

I've not been at home long enough to create one this week. :o

Man of Honour
Well that's killed the No2 Porsche's race. Being forced to come in and repair the rear of the car.

Understandable, legality panels have to be there and it's dragging bits along the ground. Seems to have been a bit of an argument about it though.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Well that's killed the No2 Porsche's race. Being forced to come in and repair the rear of the car.

Understandable, legality panels have to be there and it's dragging bits along the ground. Seems to have been a bit of an argument about it though.

Never say never though with the WEC, just look at Toyota at Le Mans. I agree thought those are the rules at least they are being consistent.

It's some epic racing today rather the the snooze feast of the F1. The WEC App + Apple TV is just epic! :D

Back
Top Bottom