Got my Samsung 550P5C today

Soldato
Cashback? How do I claim this? Could you message me in trust if you can't post links? Cheers. :)

EDIT: The only cashback offers I can find concerning this model ended in June.

Last edited:
Associate
Cashback? How do I claim this? Could you message me in trust if you can't post links? Cheers. :)

EDIT: The only cashback offers I can find concerning this model ended in June.

I may have over estimated myself cannot verify laptop with the samsung website going to ****** Monday and going to ask them.

Kenneth

Last edited:
Soldato
Going to where? A high-street vendor you say? :p

They didn't mention anything when I was there today. (Well, with their sister company).

Caporegime
looking at this model myself for £629.98 and there is 100 pound cash back on this model, going to get it from a high street store on Monday Morning.

got a 240 samsung ssd to put in this for boot up and leave the 1 tb in as a backup internally.

this laptop should last me 3 years give or take.

Kenneth.

Think the cash back ended, and it's about the same price now as it was with the cash back.

Soldato
Still a bargain for an IB laptop with decent build quality.

Has anyone mounted another HDD/SSD in the optical bay with an adapter yet? I still can't find an as to whether it's possible or not.

Soldato
Quote from my thread.

I got this for £630 instead of £900. If you google "SAMSUNG Series 5 NP550P5C 15.6" Laptop" then you should find that one of the top links is to a well known high street chain of computer selling people who wear purple shirts and force extra cover down your neck as soon as you walk through the door. I got that one. :p

Associate
Purple shirts site doesn't mention the nVidia card, oddly.. The bookseller with the orange smiley logo does, fortunately!

Shame about the resolution on this model, if it was higher it'd be perfect :(

Soldato
I prefer this resolution on a 15.6" screen personally.

My one from those of the purple shirt persuasion doesn't have the nVidia card. I chose it for work purposes, and seeing as the HD4000 that comes with the Ivy Bridge CPUs gets pretty good reviews, I decided that it would do. It's brilliant! I can play Minecraft (kind of), and probably some less demanding games, and it returns over 4 hours of battery life.

Interestingly, it did have the nVidia drivers installed though.

Associate
Minecraft is one of the things it absolutely must do well, anything more is a bonus in my eyes :)

My current old Dell Latitude has a decrepit GM965 which runs around 9FPS, blech!

Soldato
Well, it doesn't do it well. It can just about play it, but you can't hold a key down (running/walking for example) whilst looking around with the trackpad, it ignores your gestures, which is slightly annoying.

Associate
Did anyone manage to add an SSD to this laptop? I noticed in the user manual you could only add one to the 17 inch model. I guess you have to swap the dvd drive out for the this one.

Associate
Soldato
No I didn't install them, as there's no point, as it doesn't have a nVidia GPU, it uses the on-board Intel HD4000 GPU.

I have had a productive weekend. If you google "Slim ODD conversion tray for 2.5"" HDD or SSD + USB external slim ODD enclosure" you should find a link to the Silverstone adapter I bought, and I managed to get it fitted and working the HDD from my girlfriends laptop, so I think that you can run an SSD in the native slot, and move the HDD to the ODD bay with this adapter. I'm planning on ordering an SSD this week for it.

Soldato
How is this laptop for gaming. I'm looking to replace my desktop with a laptop to save space and I'm after something that will game ok. I'm not worried about max detail full settings just a decent experience in games like Guild wars 2, Anno and the X games.

I have been looking into the MSI GX60 but this seems a decent deal for less.

Associate
How is this laptop for gaming. I'm looking to replace my desktop with a laptop to save space and I'm after something that will game ok. I'm not worried about max detail full settings just a decent experience in games like Guild wars 2, Anno and the X games.

I have been looking into the MSI GX60 but this seems a decent deal for less.

Hi Moogleys

I Have just this minute got it delivered, otherwise judging from amazon uk website product is NP550P5C-S03UK that one includes the gt650M GPU, reviews from people have said battlefield 3 has roughly 30 - 40 frames, also on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYc_pk27Vks
also ssd inserted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTDkcSlNJ-M

guild wars 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVOhyl6YLvo

Kenneth.

UPDATE

currently backing up three partitions using norton ghost to my external adata HD time on screen said start 25 minutes.
NEXT Step is to recover them back to the 250 GB SSD... "Before I can do that the Battery has to get a first time full charge"

Last edited:
Associate
So this laptop holds up pretty well gaming-wise then? I've done some browsing and it seems like this (with the GT650M) seems to have a decent price/performance ratio - though I only really want it for some DX11 dev so I'm not always tied to my PC.

Cheapest I've seen it for seems to be ~£659, anyone found it any cheaper than that?

Back
Top Bottom