• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Time for an upgrade?

Associate
Now that I've got more time on my hands I've started PC gaming again for the past 6 months and it's starting to show that my PC isn't as good as it once was.

My current setup

amd 1090t @ 3.8
NVidia 770
8gb ddr3 1333
120gb SSD + other HDDs
144hz monitor
600w psu

The 144hz monitor and nvidia770 I acquired a couple of months ago. The monitor was for CSGO and the 770 was purchased to help with MGS (which now runs at 90+ fps)

What's prompted me to upgrade the CPU is that I've started playing Black Ops 3 and noticed I'm getting between 55-80fps. What's weird is that at the multiplayer screen the GPU is showing 100% usage and pulling 100fps, but once in game the GPU usage drops to about 65% and I get 55-80fps. This leads me to believe my CPU isn't able to keep up with all the action and feed the data needed to the GPU?

Can anyone recommend an improved setup? I'd rather keep to DDR3 to save money. I'm looking to spend about £250? Would obviously need a new M-ATX mobo to go with the cpu.

Thanks!
Josh

Associate
Tell you what; your setup is okay. You've got a GTX 770, SSD and even a 144hz monitor. But the CPU is terrible. I agree with upgrading to an i5 - always intel, don't get an AMD processor.

Soldato
TBH with a 770 I really wouldn't bother. If you were running a 980ti or something I could see a real need to upgrade but having played BLOPS 3 and seeing what a mess it is I don't think having a faster CPU would allow your GPU to do any more than it's doing right now.

Associate
I think gtx 770 is max for 1090t when you upgrade gpu you must change platform for intel like unlocked i5/i7 lga 1150/1151 if not will be bottleneck.

Associate
AMD make competitive GPUs.

AMD do not make competitive CPUs at the moment. Don't buy them.

A 4690k or even 4670k would be a massive upgrade for you.

Associate
OP
Does this seem okay guys? I've got a h50 cooler at the moment so I'm assuming i can use the 1155 brackets fine on the 1150 socket?

Thanks

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £279.42
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
OP
Thought I would conclude this post, as I hate posts without a finish!

Realised I didn't have all the brackets for the H50 cooler so installed the stock cooler whilst the new brackets arrived. Brackets arrived but it took me 3 attempts, and 3 hours, to get the cooler sitting nicely with good temps (combination of rev 2 brackets with a rev 1 cooler and the fact the radiator is pretty much touching the pump due to the cpu's location) but it's all running great now!

When I upgraded to a SSD on my old rig I thought the boot up time was great, but this motherboard posts so fast the login screen is waiting for me seconds after my screen wakes up.

GPU is now showing 100% when playing Blackops and I'm in the 100+ fps average with slightly higher graphics than before, win!

Got the CPU on 4.5ghz @ 1.25v, I set the motherboard to max autoclock and it did a stable 4.7ghz but at 1.42v! so sticking with 4.5 :)

Thanks All!

Back
Top Bottom