Options for broadband for those stuck on 2meg adsl

Soldato
Hi,

Moving house soon and doing some checking there's no immediate plan to upgrade the local cab to fttc.

The only option is adsl, no cable, and it's about a 2 meg connection due to distance from exchange.

Are there any other options, as Comming from 80mb fibre this will be painful..
4g signal is strong... Are there any 4g deals that either allow unlimited tether or function as home broadband that aren't prohibitively expensive?

Soldato
OP
I've seen EE do a 4g 'modem' for £25 per month with a 50gb cap..
Ideally if I have a cap it would need to be about 2-300gb..

Any ideas?

Soldato
What's the actual distance from the exchange (samknows web site can give you this).

And is your estimate of it being a 2meg capable line based on the BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER. As this is notoriously inaccurate.

EG. it gives my max expected speed for ADSL2+ as 5.5 ... while my actual sync is a fully stable 11.5!

If you do go ADSL. I would consider picking up a modem/router that has a Broadcom chip set in it, as these usually are the best for longer lines.
EG. Billion 7800DXL. or one of the earlier TP-Link TD-W8960N if looking for something cheaper (watch it though, as I think later ones don't use Broadcom chipset).

Associate
You can get some unlimited plans on satellite internet.
They are expensive, sometimes up to 60-100 per month. (It was a while ago i properly looked) and the latency is usually around 80ms

Soldato
OP
I've checked Sam knows and had my current provider do a line check on the new place, with a view to porting my current service over.. also the current occupants have a 2meg if lucky download speed.

The physical distance from the exchange is too far, and there's no plans on bt wholesale check to say if or whenever the fttc will be available.

I'm currently on plusnet fttc 80mb.. I could cope with a solid 15 if it was uncapped.

EE are doing a 4g thing but it's capped at 50gigs a month.. I currently use between 150 and 300 gigs DL pm, so I'm not sure that's a viable option.

I'm thinking I'm ship out a luck.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unluckily. Looks like you might be stuffed then.

Only option to really consider would be satellite. Don't know much about this area but what about something like (if you live in England that is):
https://www.europasat.com/ses-broadband/
Not cheap but if you are desperate enough and really need it, then you might have to bite the bullet.

At least you can get 4G... I'm lucky if I can even get a damn mobile signal at all round here (rural SW Scotland).

Just goes to show how a half decent BB connection is now so important ... and can in fact even influence house prices!

Good luck.

Soldato
OP
The thing that bothers me about the spoof option is it might cripple the battery on my phone as it will be worked hard and might fail.

Associate
Invest in a OnePlus One just for tethering.

No Spoof hack required. For some reason tethered data is classed as normal mobile data.
You say the 4G signal is good. Get a three unlimited contract, they are about £22 a month

Contract will say 2GB tethering limit but with a oneplus one I can use a lot more of that with out it registering as tethering.

Soldato
Invest in a OnePlus One just for tethering.

No Spoof hack required. For some reason tethered data is classed as normal mobile data.
You say the 4G signal is good. Get a three unlimited contract, they are about £22 a month

Contract will say 2GB tethering limit but with a oneplus one I can use a lot more of that with out it registering as tethering.

Personally think he might be struggling to get away with 150\300 GB !

Soldato
Use 4G for stuff you want fast, ADSL for stuff that you don't need so fast.

Not quite sure how that'd work with switching connections but surely there'd be a way.

Soldato
My parents are moving to an address where the line is barely capable of 1Mbps atm. There is a FTTC cabinet built and ready to go, but we understand there's a way leave issue regarding power. No doubt this will drag on for ages! You're lucky to get 4G, that's what I would pursue personally. We've just bought a Netgear ac785 + dock for mum and dad's broadband, but they barley get 3 bars of 3G in the top bedroom with EE - No service everywhere with other networks.

What's the ping for satellite like?

Associate
Even if you have unlimited on your phone, you won't like it.

If you are on Three, you may have unlimited 4G but as soon as you become a "heavy user" they will put you in the naughty corner with the other heavy users and you'll be lucky to get 1mbit.

If you are on the old T-Mobile all you can eat tarrifs, these are limited to 4mbit/1mbit, although T-Mobile refuse to admit this.

I used to work in satellite broadband, and it is an option, even with unlimited overnight usage as an option, and could get you 15 down 1 up with a 9mbit speed guarantee, and unlimited overnight usage.

600ms or so ping makes it unusable for gaming, but would work well as a 2nd connection for your downloading.

Back
Top Bottom