Am I being special?

Soldato
I was just sitting there and hand my hand over the front my case to see if i could feel the airflow for some weird reason and I can feel loads of air blowing against my hand yet none on the back of the rad.

I swear my fans are currently pushing air through my rad?

RJ2GlsK.jpg

Soldato
Yeah that's the correct orientation. I can't remember what it's called, but essentially some fans will spit air outward at the edges due to pressure or something. That will be what you're feeling.

Soldato
OP
Yeah that's the correct orientation. I can't remember what it's called, but essentially some fans will spit air outward at the edges due to pressure or something. That will be what you're feeling.

are they high fpi rads? what rpm are your fans at?

Rads? Not a clue! They are only like 38mm thick though, pretty slim!

They are at like 800rpm. They max out at 1250. They are so noisy too :(

Soldato
Rads? Not a clue! They are only like 38mm thick though, pretty slim!

They are at like 800rpm. They max out at 1250. They are so noisy too :(

Doesn't matter if they are thin so much, the higher the FPI the more surface area of the rad to cool over, BUT this also means more resistance which may be why you can feel a lot of air coming back and not a lot going through. If you run the fans at 1250 can you feel the flow?

Soldato
The fin density on the radiator isn't particularly high, you can see them between the fan blades in the photo. So it won't be that.

Soldato
Was gonna say you're a bit special for using stock corsair fans for a WC loop :eek: :p

They aren't. They're SP120s with their coloured rings removed.

Sam, get a fan controller to tame them a bit. I've got the same fans in the same place in my 540 case, and they are loud as well without a controller.

They'll definitely be moving air through, however touch the radiator to see how warm it's getting, it'll tell you if it's being cooled properly.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Was gonna say your a bit special for using stock corsair fans for a WC loop :eek: :p

Yeah they are going, just not sure what to buy. May try them OcUK ones everyone talks about. They seem highly rated on here.

Doesn't matter if they are thin so much, the higher the FPI the more surface area of the rad to cool over, BUT this also means more resistance which may be why you can feel a lot of air coming back and not a lot going through. If you run the fans at 1250 can you feel the flow?

Yeah but not a massive amount. I know what FPI is but not of these rads, I just bought them as I needed thin rads at the time and that was all I cared about tbh! :p

Soldato
Yeah they are going, just not sure what to buy. May try them OcUK ones everyone talks about. They seem highly rated on here.

Yeah but not a massive amount. I know what FPI is but not of these rads, I just bought them as I needed thin rads at the time and that was all I cared about tbh! :p

How is the rest of you fan setup? Whats your pressure in there like? What temps you hitting?

Soldato
Looks can be deceiving.

I would say have you checked them for dust, but I know you've only just finished the loop so I doubt its that.

Whilst looks can be deceiving, in this instance they aren't. I can quite clearly see that they have a low density arrangement of fins.

This guy knows! :D

I do indeed, I've got about 11 SP120s, and 9 AF140s. :p

They're actually decent fans and I get good temps with low noise in my set up (a fan controller is a must though).

Soldato
bit of a random thought here :)

aren't those bottom 2 af120's so airflow instead of static pressure sf120's (like top one). The sf's are meant for rads iirc, better airflow pressure, so could be why airs not pushing though the rad.

Also removing the coloured rings leaves a 'gap' at the top for air to escape doesn't it and it's likely coming out the front as it's got less resistance.

Soldato
OP
bit of a random thought here :)

aren't those bottom 2 af120's so airflow instead of static pressure sf129's (like top one). The sf's are meant for rads iirc, better airflow pressure, so could be why airs not pushing though the rad.

Also removing the coloured rings leaves a 'gap' at the top for air to escape doesn't it and it's likely coming out the front as it's got less resistance.

Nope, they are all SP's. Well I hope so as they all came from new SP120 boxes at ones time and I do not own any other fans for them to get muddled up with.

The coloured rings are so ugly, they couldn't have stayed if they do a job or not :(

Soldato
Nope, they are all SP's. Well I hope so as they all came from new SP120 boxes at ones time and I do not own any other fans for them to get muddled up with.

Are you sure... because they look awfully like the af120's
The sp120's have the big fat blades like the top one while the af120's have the 'thin' blades like the bottom 2

edit: you sure you didn't buy an af's for extracting air from elsewhere in the case?

Back
Top Bottom