Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
This is vague from the angle of when I read "everything" so I am not sure what you mean.

It is meant to be a tinker and discovery unit so as long as you do not physically abuse the thing, the SD cards can be wiped and played with many times over.

Yeah, I meant more like what do I need for it to be usable. Like, do I need a micro PSU? Case? Keyboard/mouse - if so, Bluetooth or USB? I really know nothing about what even makes this usable... :o

Give it to him unopened and point him at the internet. Let him figure out how to set it up himself.

I like this idea, but then I'd just end up having to buy whatever was needed over a longer period, wouldn't I?

That is great!! :) Have you bought it yet? there are great little kits on amazon that include everything you will need to get started.

Then I would say point him to the raspberrypi documentation page and see how he gets on :)

Okay, I didn't really think of looking for kits on the rainforest site for some reason. Maybe that's a sensible starting point.

A bit embarrassed by my complete lack of knowledge on this front, and I'm sure I'm going to be surpassed by my kids in very short order on the tech front...

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
If you want minimalistic and learn the command line properly you can install an OS on the card, use your existing keyboard and monitor to setup SSH. This allows you to use a client like putty to remote login and control from anywhere local by using the ip address assigned to the pi.

If you want to use the GUI then a keyb/mouse and either a tv or monitor will get you going. You do need a psu, if you have an old model a blackberry charger is ideal. If you get the pi 2 then a 2 amp rated one would be best in case you want to use all the USB ports and studd that tap off some voltage.

Don
thepihut

They sell a 2A 5V PSU, for £5.

Very basic requirements..

Pi2
PSU
microSD cards, multiple cards means a quick way of testing many operating systems.
hdmi cable
network cable (keep things simple before looking into wifi)

Associate
Cant see this posted yet
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/
£4 for the new PI :O:O.
A Broadcom BCM2835 application processor
1GHz ARM11 core (40% faster than Raspberry Pi 1)
512MB of LPDDR2 SDRAM
A micro-SD card slot
A mini-HDMI socket for 1080p60 video output
Micro-USB sockets for data and power
An unpopulated 40-pin GPIO header
Identical pinout to Model A+/B+/2B
An unpopulated composite video header
Our smallest ever form factor, at 65mm x 30mm x 5mm

maj

maj

Soldato
Not sure what will be quicker. Waiting for them to come back into stock on their website or trying to get hold of their magazine that comes with it!

Art

Art

Associate
Interested, then I realised as I live in NIreland there are virtually no WHSmiths so looked at subscribing which starts in Jan 2016 as Issue #40 has sold out...

Small chance you could pick one up next week:

If you’re in Ireland or Northern Ireland: it appears there was a bit of a SNAFU yesterday. MagPis were meant to be going into Tesco stores across both Ireland and Northern Ireland, but the tills hadn’t been programmed correctly (this was the first month they were carrying the MagPi, and we think a crucial button didn’t get pressed), so the magazine didn’t scan. Tesco’s response was to order shops to return all the magazines to the warehouse.

We’re talking to the distributors now, and we heard ten minutes ago that the magazines will be going back to the stores at the start of next week. Keep an eye on our Twitter feed and Facebook – we’ll let you know as soon as we hear they’ve hit the ground, so you can all go and do the swarm of locusts thing at your local Tesco.

I'm not sure if all stores are going to have them though.

Soldato
Yeah I read that today which gave me some hope Art!

I will try a store on monday morning and again on tuesday on the off chance no savvy nerds are on the ball. If that fails they are still mentioning if you subscribe you will get the issue due for more printing.

I was confused as the other day they stated completely sold out even to subscribers. :(

Art

Art

Associate
I will try a store on monday morning and again on tuesday on the off chance no savvy nerds are on the ball.

If you go here there's a map of stores which stock it. Seems like it's only a few Tesco stores in NI which are carrying it.

I wonder how long it'll take to get new stock of the zero back into the shops. Pimoroni's case looks pretty good, but I really hope someone makes a "hat" with proper-sized USB ports on them. I know that defies the point a little but it would make it so much more useable, and it'd be so much neater than an external hub.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you go here there's a map of stores which stock it. Seems like it's only a few Tesco stores in NI which are carrying it.

I doubt its accuracy Art as I went to the flagged Newcastle shop on the day of launch. Turns out the manager sent back the 3 copies they received as she thought it was too expensive and would not sell..

There were a handful of guys fuming when they found out. :)

Looks like I might have to subscribe or just be patient and buy the zero direct for £4 or whatever it goes for.

Associate
Does anybody use a powered usb/ethernet switch with their Pis at all? I am looking at one to provide networking to the Pi Zero.

David

Associate
A single USB to ethernet adapter is what I was originally looking at then I spotted some USB hubs with ethernet built-in which looked like multiple devices could share network via USB.

Would save space on cables too :)

Back
Top Bottom