wiring pinout/help with evga 650 g1,making new cables

Associate
hi guys hope someone could help with this.

just bought a new g1 650 fully modular supernova gold and want to make some shorter cables(very short as its a custom case).

i have stripped the black sheathing off the very long 24 pin lead but a bit shocked as the cable pinout doesnt run 1:1,they just seem a mishmash of pin locations so it looks likes its impossible to make a 'clean' braided short wire setup,why the heck didnt they make 1:1 pinouts as all mb use the same pin settings dont they?

im hoping someone has a pin layout drawing or something so i can confirm this factory lead is wired correct because i saw 1 drawing on the net and my pins dont match it :(

thanks
dave

Associate
Below is the 24 pin atx pin out.

Pin # with the same colors are interchangeable, so it is possible for instance for Pin 1 to end up on Pin 13 on the other end of the modular cable.

If your a bit confused by this I think it would be a good idea to have your cable done by an experience cable modder just to be on the safe side.

gJ9RVqe.png

Associate
OP
hi
thanks i have the diagram of the atx mb connector,however all the wires are black and criss crossed like spaghetti.
i checked it out via testing with my multimeter vs the psu output and it was just the actual lead that was supplied by evga,as you said the coloured wires(read all black wires as its evga) were in the correct slots but not by numerical order so it looked like it was put together in a spaghetti factory lol.

will it be ok to say swap some of the wires around to neaten it up as i assume they will all converge at one point on the breadboard inside the psu anyways?

thanks

Associate
You are right that wires with the same colors are all connected to the same point inside the psu, so it is fine to move wires with the same colors around to neaten it up, just double check it up after your done that it is in the correct place.

Check that the modded cable has the correct voltages on every pin by manually checking with a meter, you can also use a psu tester like the one below to check the modded cable after, as it is possible that the 24 pin connector on the

psu itself does not follow the atx pin out, that's why the cables are crisscross, this is just a guess though as I don't have the said psu.

PcoiwCZ.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
hi
yes they are all criss-crossed but i am now in the middle of shortening the cable and making sure they are now in the right order numerically,only problem is i am building my new rig with the mb layed flat 10 mm above the psu so was hoping they would come out nice and neat straight up and round into the mb but no no no lol..the whole cable will have to be twisted 180 because of the psu pin layout..either that or i flip the psu upside down then it would be perfect.

thanks
dave

Associate
OP
hi
yes i thought of doing that but the wife had some little coloured tiewraps that matched the colours perfect so i fastened one to each cable as i removed the pin and since i now know the pin layout on the psu its making it easier..just as i said the wire has to be twisted after its been braided now so its going to look fugly,i guess i could make a twisted v short patch lead to sit between the psu and new cable

i did a quick paint job last night,the coloured dots are the voltage of the wires coming out of the psu as you look at it,the number on the dot is the pin number it goes to on the other end of the cable provided by evga.

thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2_mFsFSSkTuMlBfZGQwazZicGM/view

12314432_10153146211976367_1203984708945063089_o.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Oh, if the misses is involved this changes everything :) Nice Job!!! This will help others a lot of they want to do something similar!! THANKS
So as I can hear, you managed now everything and it is working?
I am wondering what kind of super mini machine you are doing :) do you have pics?

Associate
OP
not tested it yes as i am awaiting some pins for the connectors, i should have just cut the wire in hindsight and just soldered back together but will have to wait now.

hopefully be finished by end of week,nothing special but ok for me.

Back
Top Bottom