SanDisk X300 vs Crucial BX100

Soldato
Hi,

I am tempted by the Sandisk X300 512GB Enterprise Class SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive which you are currently offering for just under £100, but am not sure if this is actually a 'better' drive than (say) a Crucial BX200 480GB SSD at a slightly higher price?

Seeing the Sandisk listed as an 'Enterprise Class' device makes me think that it may not be the best choice for a home/gaming system?

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated... thanks! :)

Associate
I just went for the Sandisk X300 as its cheaper seem and has a longer warranty....I'm betting I could not tell if one was faster or slower....

I'm guessing both drives are the same size...one post formatting and one pre formatting shows is specs....

Associate
Considered the x300 too and did some research. It's not really a proper Enterprise Class drive because it doesn't have power loss protection ect. It does have full drive encryption though and Sandisk marketed it as a bussiness drive aimed at organisations as a HDD replacement.

As a OS/Game/file storage drive it's fine and should be reliable given the audience it was marketed at. For high write usage and/or heavy random usage I'd look elsewhere because there are better performers.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys... actually I am not too concerned about the Enterprise 'features' and was really just looking for a 500GB (approx.) SSD to install in my new Skylake system.

Although the price of the X300 is very attractive, the popularity and good reviews of the Crucial BX200 are actually starting to make that one look a bit more tempting at the moment!

Hmm!

Soldato
I picked one up for the putting the steam library on, not managed to install it yet so can't really comment, but I've no worries about it being up to the job.

Man of Honour
Just purchase whatever option gives you the cheapest GB/£ and the best warranty. Though double-check that the internet isn't full of horror stories about any particular model you intend to buy.

Speed-wise you're not going to notice any difference.

V F

V F

Soldato
Just purchase whatever option gives you the cheapest GB/£ and the best warranty. Though double-check that the internet isn't full of horror stories about any particular model you intend to buy.

Speed-wise you're not going to notice any difference.

Isn't that the problem? If you go looking you'll always find some persons really bad story. I haven't seen any product that hasn't had bad reviews/experiences/stories.

Man of Honour
Isn't that the problem? If you go looking you'll always find some persons really bad story. I haven't seen any product that hasn't had bad reviews/experiences/stories.

Very true but I guess I meant more like "This version of the sandforce controller is causing hitching for lots of people". You're right though - it's very hard to separate the wheat from the chaff with such things.

Associate
I'm affraid that review is for the x300s, it's a different drive to the x300 that the OP is talking about. That nearly caught me out when I was researching the x300 too. Sandisk apparently didn't send out review samples for the x300 so when you search all you get back are x300s reviews, easy to get caught out with the simular model number.

Personally, I would only buy a Samsung 850 evo/pro or 950
Same here, I went with (yet another) sammy after weighing up the current competition. Their the all round better option and are just a few extra quid now.

You can't go wrong for general use with most of the current drives though, the baseline performance is so good now it's pretty much a lucky dip. Only time you need to get picky is if you have specific requirements, then the reviews can help you narrow down the options.

Permabanned
I'm affraid that review is for the x300s, it's a different drive to the x300 that the OP is talking about. That nearly caught me out when I was researching the x300 too. Sandisk apparently didn't send out review samples for the x300 so when you search all you get back are x300s reviews, easy to get caught out with the simular model number.

I'd be better off with Ovaltine than trying to order a SSD at 3 in the morning :o

Back
Top Bottom