** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Associate
rsz_120151128_224417_hdr_zpswdpbelji.jpg~original

Slightly off topic but whats the little fish tank you have on your speaker, that looks really good, I want one! ;P

Associate
Ok, so this second X34 is from recent new stock that came in last week. It is also a September build. The wake from sleep issue seems to be corrected with new firmware. Can someone post a screenshot of their factory OSD to compare? (Press 5,5,4,4,2,3) Far left button being 1 and far right button being 6. The new X34:

The Predator logo/display backlight now comes on slowly when powering on instead of instant on (sometimes half back light) as I recall with my returned monitor. Unless my memory isn't correct.

This monitor is virtually identical to my previous one. The only difference being the wake from sleep issue being fixed. So both X34's:

1. Zero dead/stuck pixels.
2. BLB and IPS glow are virtually identical. Not the greatest in the dark, but not horrible either.
3. No coil whine from either the monitor or power brick at any brightness setting or display content.
4. Both overclock to 100 Hz with zero issue.
5. Both have scan-lines when G-Sync is enabled and most prominent when FPS is in the 40 to 60 range. From 60 to 80 it's much less noticeable (have to lean in close to see). From 80-100 FPS it's virtually non-existent. Clicking back and forth V-Sync off and G-Sync on there is no difference.

Some random thoughts:

It's a September build monitor. The packaging had no evidence that it was used before, no QC labels/stickers, the original factory tape/seal was intact and was not taped over a previous factory tape. Zero evidence that the monitor or it's contents have been disturbed.

How could that be if the firmware to fix the wake from sleep issue was fairly recent? My only explanation is that these monitors at the Acer factory by far and large are sitting un-packaged. It's only when they are ordered by retailers that they get packaged up, crated/pallet-ed for shipping. This makes sense from Acer as it allows easy firmware updates.

Now to everyone's favorite topic; the scan lines. I honestly believe that every X34 has the "issue". The issue is so slight though that I could see people A: not testing them correctly or B: simply not being able to notice. The scan lines are only under certain circumstances, generally only on the left hand side of the screen. At 60 to 80 FPS/Hz they start to greatly diminish and are virtually non existent at 80-100 FPS/Hz. That last range is where 100% of Desktop work will be done, and the vast majority of gaming will be done. This scan-line issue is definitely making a mountain out of a molehill.

If you don't have that fast of a computer and will run a 100 Hz monitor at 40-60 FPS/Hz, then yes, it will be a concern worth noting. Just simply wait for the ASUS version to see if they have solved it. Considering both my X34 samples are identical in the scan-line arena, I'm pretty confident that it's a hardware/design issue that A: isn't correctable without considerable effort/redesign by Acer, B: isn't correctable by firmware, and C: Acer deem's the issue too small to make expensive design changes to the product.

If the scan-line issue really just crushes your soul, simply return the monitor or don't buy it in the first place. That's all I can say. I think this is the best overall gaming monitor on the market. Yes, Acer does get products to market fast that should be tested a bit more for flaws. But you have to admit that having such a display 3-4 months on the market before ASUS's product is quite nice. For those that are interested, through my testing I find the stock 100 overdrive setting a bit conservative. I prefer 120. Overdrive artifacts really don't start to appear until the 125-130 range. The increase of 20 over stock (8% more overdrive assuming a logarithmic scale from 0 to 255) reduces trailing slightly.

EDIT: disregard adjusting the OD setting. It reverts back to 100.

Last edited:
Soldato
i have a 29/10/15 build monitor and i have zero issues...

no sleep no coil whine bug OC's to 100hz... i have gsync on and vsync on via NCP and everygame is super smooth and zero input lag..

perfectly happy with mine i have no BLB but some tiny IPS glow..

how do i test for scan lines cause i don't ever notice anything when gaming its incredible to look at in any game..

also why is my OD 255... ah i had my OD settting to extreme.. ive heard normal is better then extreme for gaming?

piccy below

20151201_042440_zps4joumqmm.jpg~original

Last edited:
Associate
i have a 29/10/15 build monitor and i have zero issues...

no sleep no coil whine bug OC's to 100hz... i have gsync on and vsync on via NCP and everygame is super smooth and zero input lag..

perfectly happy with mine i have no BLB but some tiny IPS glow..

how do i test for scan lines cause i don't ever notice anything when gaming its incredible to look at in any game..

also why is my OD 255... ah i had my OD settting to extreme.. ive heard normal is better then extreme for gaming?

piccy below

Interesting. You have a newer OSD version and G-Sync firmware version then the monitor I just got in.

When did you take delivery of yours?

Could you do some testing?

Go here and download pendulum demo:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/downloads/cool_stuff/demos/Setup_G-SYNC_1.10.exe

Launch it with the monitor overclocked to 100 Hz, 100 Hz selected in NVIDIA control panel and G-Sync selected and the monitors brightness turned up.

Click on simulate 40-60 FPS. Then click on test pattern at the bottom left. It should bring up a grey background with a moving vertical bar.

Is the grey background perfectly grey looking at it closely on the left edge of the display or do you see faint horizontal lines? If you click between G-Sync and V-Sync off, do the lines come and go?

Soldato
kk ill test now and get back to you!

i got mine on saturday.. ordered friday daytime from OCUK when there was about 5 left in stock!

Just done testing and the lines are very very faint i have to look up close about 2-3 cms away to be able to see them and then they are still faint.. and i have good eyesight dont wear glasses etc the lines dont change when switching vsync on and off from what i can see... i sit about a foot and half away from my monitor and would never be able to see the lines in every day use..

i was expecting to see a lot worse from what people previously said about scan lines on other forums so im very happy with my screen.. i would say its a perfect screen for me other then OSD can suck a bit but i doubt ill need to even use it again!

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, the great "scan line" issue is a bit overblown. So you can see some lines then eh?

The should appear and disappear when you select V-Sync off or G-Sync. Click between those, don't worry about V-Sync "on".

If you play around with the FPS sliders on the bottom left, you will see if the FPS is increased in G-Sync mode, the lines disappear also.

Soldato
Yes, the great "scan line" issue is a bit overblown. So you can see some lines then eh?

The should appear and disappear when you select V-Sync off or G-Sync. Click between those, don't worry about V-Sync "on".

If you play around with the FPS sliders on the bottom left, you will see if the FPS is increased in G-Sync mode, the lines disappear also.

Overblown or not, they simply SHOULD NOT be there on a monitor with a near £1000 price tag. End of.

Associate
My monitor is only running @ 30hz when not in game guys

anyone know why this is? i suspect its a setting issue, i run it in game mode setting

Im just home from the boxing last night and im very hungover so its most likely a user issue :D

Anyone else experiencing this? i see someone on Hardforum is encountering the same issue

Associate
anybody know when stock is due , might give them a ring tomorrow as the money has left my bank and I've heard nothing . . its in stock else where , somewhere i would rather not buy from and at same black friday price. dont mind waiting on here until end of the week . but the suspense is killing me , not been this excited since i paid 4k for my mountain bike last september and building this extreme pc i have just built .

Associate
Got a screen that couldnt do 100hz, get some wicked flickering on the X34. Got it to 95HZ and everything is smooth. bit gutted but dont even know if its returnable and if i can be even bothered.

***EDIT*** When i overclock the monitor to 100hz its fine as soon as i put 100hz in the nvidida control panel it goes crazy. If i creat a custom resolution and set it to 99hz its fine, im confused? :s

***EDIT EDIT*** Flickers even at 99, 95 seems stable. Could this be a DP cable issue?

And so how are you sure that yours is fixed?

Because it's recent stock that was only released after the stock-hold from Acer and I've thoroughly tested it and the issue is no longer there? On my old X34 it would do it every time I started my computer.

With the new monitor, the way it turns on is completely different.

Back
Top Bottom