PPI

Associate
You made a PPI claim but didn't actually have PPI? If even if you were silly enough to not read the T&Cs of the finance product when you took it out and didn't know you had PPI (which is of-course you're fault for signing without reading), surely you actually bothered to read them now before claiming that you were mis-sold?

Sorry but this is ********, I was sold PPI on a credit card when I was 18. It was not explained to me when I signed up, I was a student at the time so was totally useless to me. When I realised I was being charged £30 quid a month for nothing as I wasnt even in employment, I rang up, told them to cancel and refund my PPI payments, but they refused.

Im glad they did, I got over £1000 2 years ago.

It was a blatant rip off, many were sold it almost covertly as far as im concerned..

Caporegime
Sorry but this is ********, I was sold PPI on a credit card when I was 18. It was not explained to me when I signed up, I was a student at the time so was totally useless to me.

Which is a legitimate case of miss-selling, like mine was when they told me my loan would be refused if I didn't accept it, but the OP reads like someone seeing all the adverts and wanting a piece of that pie.

Associate
Which is a legitimate case of miss-selling, like mine was when they told me my loan would be refused if I didn't accept it, but the OP reads like someone seeing all the adverts and wanting a piece of that pie.

But this is the problem, I didnt know I had PPI until I saw it on a statement many months later, some of the banks 'hid' PPI into 'interest' so people didnt even notice.

There are a lot of people I know who 'chance' PPI claims to find out, they did indeed have PPI and never knew..

Its the banks fault for not being clear and as far as I'm concerned committing fraud in some cases.

Associate
OP
I was 99% sure I had PPI initially, hence i made the claim.

Obviously it transpired I was correct, although it was several years ago and as such I didn't have any correspondence in my possession to substanuate this.

Originally the CC company insinuated I hadn't.

Associate
OP
Another 30 min wait on the phone, finally advised this has been escalated to the "highest level" - based on previous conversations I assume this is the tea lady - and will hear in the next 3-5 days (or months, whichever suits).

Absolutely useless! I am PPI'd off!

Soldato
I really have no idea about the whole PPI thing

I've had no end of mortgages, loans, credit cards, buy now pay later schemes etc etc. Obviously once they have been paid off I shred the paperwork and forget about it.

Don't think I have ever agreed to having PPI added on

Maybe I should do one of those experian checks, log down all the CCs and loans I've had and fire a load of letters off.

What do you need, just your name and address?

Associate
I really have no idea about the whole PPI thing

I've had no end of mortgages, loans, credit cards, buy now pay later schemes etc etc. Obviously once they have been paid off I shred the paperwork and forget about it.

Don't think I have ever agreed to having PPI added on

Maybe I should do one of those experian checks, log down all the CCs and loans I've had and fire a load of letters off.

What do you need, just your name and address?

Its really easy, contact your bank, enquire about your old accounts and get the account numbers. Then put in a complaint about PPI, include the account number and your address and get money.

Caporegime
But this is the problem, I didnt know I had PPI until I saw it on a statement many months later, some of the banks 'hid' PPI into 'interest' so people didnt even notice.

There are a lot of people I know who 'chance' PPI claims to find out, they did indeed have PPI and never knew..

Its the banks fault for not being clear and as far as I'm concerned committing fraud in some cases.

And yet plenty of people willfully took out PPI, and are now trying to claim it back as miss-sold because all the bloody claims companies are like "They've put money aside, so you might as well just claim even if you aren't technically entitled to it."

I don't see everyone jumping to try and get refunds from other insurance policies that they didn't end up needing, lord knows I have plenty of travel insurance policies like that. :p

Associate
OP
As an update, Bank of Scotland (Marbles) have finally advised they have discovered they made an error, and as a consequence want me to pay the balance back!

There has clearly been a communication and administration error which has led to them double-paying me, hence I have now got an £800+ credit card balance which was completely clear.

I have apportioned the money they gave me elsewhere, so am fuming.

I have advised I am complaining and will be in contact with the Financial Ombudsman - not sure what else I can do?

Associate
In all honesty I think the FOS will side with the bank on this one - they have settled the complaint, albeit badly. I think you should clear the credit card balance and be happy with £800. One think I would ask for is a copy of the final decision letter you were sent if you haven't already.

Associate
OP
I have never been sent any decision letter or offer - this is the thing that annoys me, because I had no barometer against which to measure what they paid me.

So I could have been owing £1,600 or £800 (as it turns out, it was the latter).

As a consequence, It's not really my responsibility to of chased this up to this extent only to discover a multi-billion pound banking corporation has crap administration!

Associate
OP
The balance is now sat on my credit card, so presumably I will get statements accordingly.

I have been told it costs around £750 for the bank's admin for an Ombudsman claim, so might work at this avenue.

Associate
OP
Update:

Following a stern letter, copying in the Financial Ombudman, they have agreed to clear the balance from my credit card, so a veritable success!

:D

Back
Top Bottom