OCUK Memory FAQ

dww

dww

Associate
As I said 2 years ago, and others have said similar since,
Sorry to complain, but is there any chance of this FAQ being re-written? ... Thanks.
However, the OCUK memory expert (I'm sure there is one!) has not had time to update this FAQ for 6 years now, so I doubt a new version is imminent. Can someone at least rename this thread so it does not confuse new customers. That will only take a moment to do.

Perhaps from OCUK Memory FAQ to Historic Memory - The Way It Used to Be or even Memory for Archaeologists ;)

Then put 'Write a new Memory FAQ' into someone's annual objectives :)

Last edited:

dww

dww

Associate
Found this thread very useful for upgrading the 4MB of EDO SIMMs on my 386 motherboard

Good point! I have an ICL M75 up in the loft - very expensive in its day as it used the new 486 processor. I wonder if it would run Windows 7 if it had more memory? :D :D

Associate
OoOoOoOo!

My first PC was an ICL DRS Workstation M30 - NEC variant of the 8086 with 640KB and a 20MB HDD! Then had a M55 386 system but never the M75 :(

Very good machines those, looked the part too

/nostalgia

dww

dww

Associate
We had ICL DRS M40's in the Harlow lab if I remember rightly - along with Sun 3's for the engineers. We had a project to test ICL's implementation of tcp/ip, among other things. We also had 4 of the first Sun 2's to be sold in the UK, but they became obsolete once the Sun 3 came out. Later, I got an M75 - and later still I bought it from the company for a nominal sum when it became obsolete. Which is how it got up in my loft.

However, this is REALLY off-topic for even an out of date memory FAQ, so I guess we'd better not continue reminiscing here.

Associate
70sa1.jpg

Associate
Hi there,
The burst length determines the maximum number of column locations that can be accessed for a given Read or Write command. As usual, the lower the number the faster the performance. However this wont make a vast difference to your memory performance.

Associate
Is it worth me going from 4x8gbs to 2x16gbs to accompany my 5800x3D or would it be pointless?

In a couple of years from now I'll join the AM5 train so not sure if it's worth it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom