1-2 sticks = fine. 4 sticks = memtest errors

Associate
So I bought the new Gears of War this week and was excited to start the campaign. I get 10 minutes into the game and it just freezes completely. ctrl-alt-del to close it.
This happens every time I try to play the game, and I think I've narrowed it down to my RAM.
Im using 16GB Teamgroup Xtreem DDR3 2400Mhz (4 x 4GB sticks)
My motherboard is an Asrock Z97 Extreme4

Running Memtest86 shows that each stick of RAM individually seems to work fine, but if I test all 4 sticks at once, I get errors on test 7.

Anyone have any ideas whats going on here?

Soldato
Well assuming you tested all sticks in every slot without error then ......
4 sticks is a much higher drain on the memory controller and its causing errors

Associate
OP
Well assuming you tested all sticks in every slot without error then ......
4 sticks is a much higher drain on the memory controller and its causing errors

yes I tested all 4 slots separately.

So what do I need to change in the bios the fix the higher drain on the memory controller?

Associate
so apparently there is no way to adjust the IMC voltage on my board. So it looks like I'm going to have to buy new memory. Thanks anyway.

Viewing page 104 of the user manual for your mobo you have access to relevant voltage.

Ref this image with that page.

ZCInl9r.jpg

The above image is from der8auer Overclocking site (pro-overclocker/CPU binner @ caseking.de), link to his Haswell / Devil's Canyon guide.

Associate
OP
I see nothing on page 104 that talks about voltages?

Edit:. Never mind. I see the options in the bios now.

So the recommended SA voltage is 1.1v and by default it should be 0.85v? So I should set SA voltage offset to +0.250v correct?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok so HWiNFO reports my CPU Digital and Analog IO voltages are 1.168v and SA voltage is 1.080v I'll do some testing tonight and see if I get anymore freezes

Associate
I've had 2 differing i5 4690K in my mobo and the vcore/vcring differed between them, as I was new to the platform I did not take note of the other voltage at that time (~1yr ago). I would not be surprised if the other voltages differ between CPUs. Use the stock column in the image above as guide not as the absolute what stock voltage maybe, same with the OC voltages, on OCN I've seen some people go above those.

Another thing I noted on my Asus board when OC'ing was if vcring was "auto" and I upped cache ratio it would up it (vcring automatically). So basically what I did was boot mobo with defaults, note voltages and set manually. This way when I adjusted CPU or cache ratio, etc things were not getting increased as per what Asus had set in UEFI for "auto".

I have not had an Asrock mobo ever, I have not built a pc for anyone with one, so can not tell you how it may behave in the way I've seen other boards. So you will need to get to know it ;) , happy to share anything I can from what my OC exploits have taught me :) .

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are you using 1.65v vdram?

I was, yes.

So I did some testing with the increased voltages, and it apparently made no difference. Gears 4 still freezes after about 10 minutes.

Removed 2 sticks of memory, and I've been enjoying the campaign today for about 4 hours.
I've went ahead and ordered a 16GB kit to replace these 4 sticks, which i'll most like sell on the MM sometime soon.

Back
Top Bottom