****Folding@home setup guide****

Associate
The very latest on my 970

It seems to work fine when on medium or low performance. but as soon as I put it on high then it doesn't want to work.

CPU works fine when on high on its own.

Soldato
I stopped folding quite few years ago.

I think it was when I went from my first I7 up to my AMD 8 core, it kind of didnt handle it as good as the I7 did? Maybe it was a config issue, I dont know, and dont really care that much now, but I was talking the other day about FAH and how I had done it, and then it got me thingking...

I now own a ton of PCs, many of them get turned on a few times a day, and not only that but I also have my main PC with 8 cores. my daughters PC with 12 Cores and my Server with 64 cores, all running 24/7 so wh ythe hell dont I have another play about?

So I kicked it back in, only for it to simply stay there trying to find stuff to do, and after a short while re-trying... I decided to leavberit go cos I had stuff to do, but I forgot all about it and I came to it a few hours later and it still hadnt been able to download any work?

Ok, its bee na long time, so Itry to download the latest version, just in case but I go to teh page and all I see is a cartoonish type page with a dowbload link that does nothing but link me back on itself?

Is Folding At Home still running?

Why am I unable to do any folding anymore?

I am almost gutted really cos I got into the top 30 folders in OCUK before I gave up! I seriously doubt Im even in there now LOL

Soldato
Fantastic. Its downloaded.

Im a bit funky with the GPU... I did do it before, but the card got painfully hot.
My CPU is fair game cos its cooled well enough, but the GFX has stock cooling on it.

I suppose what I could do, if the GPU is really THAT much better, is give my daughter a better card and get hers to do it.... Maybe the Media Center also... They can have half decent cards that I dont mind risking... I got a couple of GTX 470 cards that are spare, and a few ATI 7770 cards too! - they are mid range I suppose.. Although the 470s do get toasty anyway.

Well we shall see... A new approach and maybe I can limit myself.

Soldato
gtx 470 wont really do great, for example your gtx970 will do around 300'000 ppd, were as a gtx470 will be no more than 20'000 ppd. you could always use your cpus on boinc and join in with that. boincs abit like folding but has loads of projects for all sorts of things, from seti@home to science to math projects

Associate
I stopped folding quite few years ago.

I think it was when I went from my first I7 up to my AMD 8 core, it kind of didnt handle it as good as the I7 did? Maybe it was a config issue, I dont know, and dont really care that much now, but I was talking the other day about FAH and how I had done it, and then it got me thingking...

I now own a ton of PCs, many of them get turned on a few times a day, and not only that but I also have my main PC with 8 cores. my daughters PC with 12 Cores and my Server with 64 cores, all running 24/7 so wh ythe hell dont I have another play about?

So I kicked it back in, only for it to simply stay there trying to find stuff to do, and after a short while re-trying... I decided to leavberit go cos I had stuff to do, but I forgot all about it and I came to it a few hours later and it still hadnt been able to download any work?

Ok, its bee na long time, so Itry to download the latest version, just in case but I go to teh page and all I see is a cartoonish type page with a dowbload link that does nothing but link me back on itself?

Is Folding At Home still running?

Why am I unable to do any folding anymore?

I am almost gutted really cos I got into the top 30 folders in OCUK before I gave up! I seriously doubt Im even in there now LOL

Yes, I noticed the same behaviour with the self repeating browser page loads. But I just close the chrome browser tab it's in, and then look at the icon in active apps "^" on taskbar, and then right-click on Folding app to access menu. Then select Advanced Control and take it from there.

If you try this and it works, all I ask is you crunch some numbers for Huntington's Disease. Many thanks / good luck !

Soldato
all I ask is you crunch some numbers for Huntington's Disease.

Maybe. I would absolutely love to say yes, but the simple fact is, that I would probably be lying.

I do know why, since my accident, I have honestly not given a stuff about these sort of things. I have developed Dysexecutive syndrome and apart from the fact that withotu my meds, I say things as they are ( Which is soemtimes NOT what you should be doing ) but also I have lost a lot of empathy towards other people ( And thats absolutely NOT me - I was working as a social worker, and I have ruyn a kids club for over 15 years and now they can all get stuffed... Thats horrible )

My server is a 4 CPU Opteron with 64 Cores and 256GB RAM, and I threw in an RX 380 just so I can play a few games to see what its like, and thats currently sat in eth corner powered down ( Yup, thats how sad and pathetic my life is ) so I might have a play with doing a couple of units, and keep my eyes on the electricity bill... Im already using so much electricity, that my wife has insisted that I get the electricians to put in a seperate power box that I have to either have an entirely seperate bill for, or that takes £1 coins, and my computer room alone uses up £25-£30 a week in electricity! - its sickening.

But then why do I need to have so many PCs and then not bother to turn them on, and yet I only actually use one for pretty much everything?

My god, I dont half waffle like a moron dont I?

Sod it then ok Iwill start up some Folding and maybe I will have the love back, I dont know? - I do know that I was well into the OCUK top 100... I think I managed to get myslef to about 61st or 62nd place.

The reason why I stopped, was that I went from the I7 to the AMD, and it kind of didnt seem to play as nice with the AMD as it did with the I7.

I also remember when I had the old P@4 3.6HT - how Hyperthreading seemed to kill many things like Folding.... Not the folding, but the fact that the CPU seemed to not slow the folding down so I can use it... The I7/AMD was doing a similar thing. When I had the I7, the CPU was at 100% and when I started to use the PC, I was fully able to do everything that I needed to do, I also did some tests like converting things from one format to another, FLAC to MP3 and so on, and whether I was folding or not, the difference was very minimal, but with the AMD, it was massive. Gaming was also affected and I dont really play heavy games all that much,but the games I did play were noticably slower or even jerky when I was folding on the AMD.

Of course, this could be down to a few things and PEBKAC is almost definitely a prime suspect I freely admit, but the dammage was done and after that, I had an accident and I have not bothered with folding ever since... Its almost 5 years now.

I did play about with boinc for a few days, and I honestly tried it, but I was then at a point where, I felt that I had put so much into the OCUK Folding, that everything Iwas doing with BOIC was simply fluff in comparison.

So I just gave up on that too!

So, anyway, I have sh!twaffled for long enough... I will plop F@H onto the server and have a play, just to see... I may stay with it, I may not, but I promise I will at least have a play.

Soldato
Long gap in F@H. You're right that GPUs are favoured given their performance. However as my little Mac mini doesn't have a GPU.. CPUs it is. Latest Mini, 12core i7 with 32GB RAM is now chewing through work loads.

I note that the Corvid work is GPU based, pity, but it looks like mine (F@H) is chewing through resistant bacterial work.

Associate
Set everything up yesterday and successfully completed a couple of downloads using the GPU (1080ti).
It then started using the cpu which was drawing over 200 watts and was no quicker though I now realise this was a different project.
I've gone into the Folding control panel and removed the cpu but there has been no activity since.
I've just noticed that the panel is stating Waiting on WS Assignment and there have been a number of attempts - 6 since last reboot.

Is the problem at my end or is it just that there is no work being sent down currently?

Soldato
Mmmm I'm only crunching around 270,000 PPD as picked this back up with my 5700XT, a couple of weeks ago... got the latest drivers instaleld, is there anything I specifically have to set to be hitting? Someone was saying that a 5700xt shoudl be hitting close to a millions points per day or something mental on full load?

PPD.JPG

Back
Top Bottom