HTC Vive

Associate
A dedicated HTC Vive thread.

But my basic question is, what is the best tactic for pre-ordering one on Monday?

I've decided I'm going to get one, I just want to know how people are planning on ordering. Camping the site? More chilled out and just logging in when you can?...

Don
Hopefully they have invested in decent peering and webservers so the whole things doesn't collapse at 3pm. The Oculus pre-order was shocking but I expect that got more interest as it's been the poster-boy for VR for a while.

Either way, I'll be pre-ordering the Vive and once I have both in my hands, I'll sell on whichever I like the least.

Associate
OP
How are people going to place the base units?

I don't want to attach them to the walls of the room and was just going to get a couple of 'photography light stands'. However, these usually have a tripod base which means that they will stand away from the walls a bit.

Are there any stands that will fit neatly into the corners of a room?

Soldato
How are people going to place the base units?

I don't want to attach them to the walls of the room and was just going to get a couple of 'photography light stands'. However, these usually have a tripod base which means that they will stand away from the walls a bit.

Are there any stands that will fit neatly into the corners of a room?

Speaker stands might be better, you can get some for little surround sound satelites that should have pretty small bases

Soldato
A dedicated HTC Vive thread.

But my basic question is, what is the best tactic for pre-ordering one on Monday?

I've decided I'm going to get one, I just want to know how people are planning on ordering. Camping the site? More chilled out and just logging in when you can?...

Cant be a dedicated thread. Where is the '***** OFFICIAL' prefix ? :D

C'mon where are all the specs and pictures? Make and effort man :p

I am going to preorder both then wait for the initial reviews before cancelling one or both depending if they both suck.

Soldato
this is a tough decision.. I 've have the rift preordered...but the Vive looks like it does everything an more.

I had in my head - rift sitting - vive standing. but you can do both with the vive.

arghhh...I'll preorder the vive...and then decide.. certainly don't want both.

Associate
I find it really strange that people ever considered the Vive to be incapable of a seated experience... Not even sure how logically that makes sense even if you don't know much about the technical details of the Vive!

Associate
I find it really strange that people ever considered the Vive to be incapable of a seated experience... Not even sure how logically that makes sense even if you don't know much about the technical details of the Vive!

This, kind of, I see this everywhere.

I partially agree, depending on the full price difference it would make sense as i assume people going for mainly seated wont need the controllers so go for the cheaper option. As you said tho, i don't understand why people do it because they think that the Vive will be incapable of a seated experience/use, it dose not make sense.

Definitely think i will be getting the Vive, i think it will turn out to be the stronger and more supported HMD once they are around (hopefully, especially racing sims). Also i prefer SteamVR/OpenVR approach to allowing multiple HMDs to use there software implementation rather than it being very closed (currently Oculus).

I have the OSVR 1.3 at the moment and i am enjoying it a lot although would prefer a higher resolution. I think i will pre order the Vive but if the OSVR releases a screen upgrade (which i think is likely), it will be hard to justify getting the Vive.

As i said i hope that the Vive becomes the dominant HMD to help push through a more open and supported implementation of VR, which will hopefully encourage devs to build VR games as they will only need to build it once and support many HMDs.

Associate
Also i prefer SteamVR/OpenVR approach to allowing multiple HMDs to use there software implementation rather than it being very closed (currently Oculus).
So, OpenVR isn't open in the sense that the API is decided on by committee, or that it's not proprietary. It's open in the sense that Valve wanted to create an SDK that's HMD agnostic, because it makes absolute sense for them to do so as they're a software vendor. The more hardware they support, the more scope they have to sell software.

Oculus have created an SDK (libovr) that, while targeted at their own device, doesn't necessarily always have to target that device. There's nothing stopping Oculus from adding Vive support if HTC/Valve were willing. However, if they *were* to add Vive support to the Oculus SDK, it would also bring the Oculus Store to Vive, which would dilute the potential market share for Valve as Vive owners would be able to pick and choose whether to get their software from Steam or the Oculus Store.

So: as it stands, Oculus have allowed their HMD to be integrated into SteamVR, but apparently HTC/Valve have not allowed theirs to be integrated into the Oculus SDK / Store. Making the assumption that everything is as it seems, who's the one being more open here? I don't think it's Valve.

As i said i hope that the Vive becomes the dominant HMD to help push through a more open and supported implementation of VR, which will hopefully encourage devs to build VR games as they will only need to build it once and support many HMDs.
I don't think you really want one or other HMD to become dominant, as that will stifle the market. What's really great about the development of these two HMDs is that there's been a lot of information and technology sharing to get us here (e.g. both using the same screen tech). There's actually not much involved with supporting one flavour of HMD SDK over the other (or both -- it's a bit like DirectX and OpenGL) and as long as developers abstract the detail away in their game engine, there's nothing stopping them from developing for both platforms. The big game engines like Unity and Unreal have already done just that.

The only disappointment for me is that there will be some titles that are exclusive to the Oculus Store, which means that (as it stands) Vive owners won't be able to purchase or play them. That could be rectified if Valve were to let Oculus integrate Vive support into their SDK.

Soldato
Btw, what does HMD mean? I was trying to guess...high def modular display? lol

Also I dont know which to go for either, I've always been dead set on buying Oculus Rift and they seem to have really good games and exclusive games but HTC Vive looks awesome too. Have you guys seen this youtube review? It's really good for HTV vive, shows off loads of demo's of loads of games.

If youtube link above doesnt work try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWproPHhHd0

Can anyone tell me? All the demo's and games in this video, do they come with the HTC Vive by default?

Also can anyone tell me what free games and apps come with the Vive and are they any good?

Thanks in adance.

Associate
OP
Btw, what does HMD mean? I was trying to guess...high def modular display? lol

Also I dont know which to go for either, I've always been dead set on buying Oculus Rift and they seem to have really good games and exclusive games but HTC Vive looks awesome too. Have you guys seen this youtube review? It's really good for HTV vive, shows off loads of demo's of loads of games.

If youtube link above doesnt work try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWproPHhHd0

Can anyone tell me? All the demo's and games in this video, do they come with the HTC Vive by default?

Also can anyone tell me what free games and apps come with the Vive and are they any good?

Thanks in adance.

I've already pre-ordered the Vive, but that vid has just sold it to me again.

The software demonstrations look OK - if a bit lame.

But the hand held controllers look amazing.

I bought the Vive to play Elite Dangerous (i.e. the seated experience) , but just seeing that vid makes me want to clear out my gaming room...

Associate
Awesome video. Can't wait to give it a go.
Found the bit about how easy drawing is in 3D very interesting.

One thing that concerns me is how FPS games are going to handle movement (those treadmill things look pretty good).
Just read an article on the Unity website saying that putting the user in a vehicle is one way to get around the motion sickness problem. Piloting a mechsuit would be pretty amazing if done right!

Back
Top Bottom