Home Hub 5 to Ubiquiti AP Setup

Permabanned
Hi All,

Looking for some advice with regard to networking, I am a total newbie so please be kind!

I am looking to update my BT home Hub 5 to a Ubiquiti AP setup, could you advise what I would need and how I would connect it, I presume I need a network switch, wifi AP and router??

I like the look of the Ubiquiti stuff so wonder what models I would need, we use wifi the most in the house no Ethernet but may use Ethernet in the future...

Any help greatly appreciated!

Permabanned
OP
Thanks for the reply, I really want to get rid of the HH and or use it just as a modem.

Would the following work HH5>UniFiSecurity Gateway>EdgeRouter X>UniFi AC LR AP?

Thanks

Permabanned
OP
Just to update I ordered the AC LR to use with my HH5 and it is a cracking bit of kit.

On my 20/80 BT Infinity line I was getting 18/38 upstairs in my office, with the new AP I am now getting 19/74!!

Very happy!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry to hijack thread but wondering if someone can answer this for me.

I've got Plusnet Fibre at home. If I bough a Ubiuiti AP and placed it centrally in my house and then used homeplugs from it back to my router would this be a suitable way to set it up?

I currently have homeplugs in various spots in the house and the current Plusnet router is right at the front of the house by the front door and wireless doesn't reach properly once im outside in the back garden. Was thinking of getting the Ubiquiti and siting it somewhere towards the middle/rear of the house to get better coverage through the house and outside.

Would it work? I'm assuming the Ubiquiti Wifi is going to be a million times better than the Plusnet router's anyway?

Associate
Sorry to hijack thread but wondering if someone can answer this for me.

I've got Plusnet Fibre at home. If I bough a Ubiuiti AP and placed it centrally in my house and then used homeplugs from it back to my router would this be a suitable way to set it up?

I currently have homeplugs in various spots in the house and the current Plusnet router is right at the front of the house by the front door and wireless doesn't reach properly once im outside in the back garden. Was thinking of getting the Ubiquiti and siting it somewhere towards the middle/rear of the house to get better coverage through the house and outside.

Would it work? I'm assuming the Ubiquiti Wifi is going to be a million times better than the Plusnet router's anyway?
I have my Lite AP plugged into a homeplug. My homeplug maxes out my internet so all my wifi devices also now max out my internet.
Anything that needs to go faster (e.g file sharing) are plugged into the main network points.

Soldato
So it is as simple as that then? Just get one of the Ubiquti AP's and away we go? I'm assuming an AC Lite will be all I need? House is a pretty standard 1930's 3 bed semi, garden is no bigger than 10m long from the back of the house.

Permabanned
OP
So it is as simple as that then? Just get one of the Ubiquti AP's and away we go? I'm assuming an AC Lite will be all I need? House is a pretty standard 1930's 3 bed semi, garden is no bigger than 10m long from the back of the house.

Why not go for the AC LR?

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Last time i looked the lite didnt comply with POE regs and required the use of their own 24v injector.

Not attractive from that point of view...

Soldato
Last time i looked the lite didnt comply with POE regs and required the use of their own 24v injector.

Not attractive from that point of view...

Thats one thing i'm unsure of actually is POE.

Do I require any extra kit to run the AP's? I don't have a POE switch or anything. The AP will most likely be next to a plug socket which has a homeplug connected. Is it simply an adapter that connects to the ethernet coming from the AP to the homeplug which provides power? Or does it require a second socket to give the POE adapter power?

Associate
Thats one thing i'm unsure of actually is POE.

Do I require any extra kit to run the AP's? I don't have a POE switch or anything. The AP will most likely be next to a plug socket which has a homeplug connected. Is it simply an adapter that connects to the ethernet coming from the AP to the homeplug which provides power? Or does it require a second socket to give the POE adapter power?

Inside the box you get a small box which at one side takes power and your lan network. Then out of it comes 1 ethernet cable carrying both data and power to your Access point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Inside the box you get a small box which at one side takes power your lan network. Then out of it comes 1 ethernet cable carrying both data and power to your Access point.

Ah yeh, didn't realise it was that simple!

One last question - would the wireless on this be better than say the wireless provided by a TP-Link VR900? I wouldnt mind consolidating my BT modem and Plusnet router into one device aswell really or would the Ubiquiti still be a step up from that?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Ah yeh, didn't realise it was that simple!

One last question - would the wireless on this be better than say the wireless provided by a TP-Link VR900? I wouldnt mind consolidating my BT modem and Plusnet router into one device aswell really or would the Ubiquiti still be a step up from that?

Yes the Ubiquiti is an enterprise class AP, if you want to get rid of your modem and router I would go for a Draytek 2860 and Ubiquiti AC LR combo.

I will be purchasing the 2860 next week to replace my HH5.

The other option I considered was the Draytek 120 modem > Ubiquiti USG > AC LR AP, but I think the 2860 firewall is more mature and easier to configure then the USG and the 2860 cuts my setup down to 2 boxes.

Last edited:
Soldato

All you can do is try it.

That VR900 is fairly premium though, and has good reviews, I wouldn't expect a massive improvement but who knows.

Yes the Ubiquiti is an enterprise class AP

Which might make a difference with several dozen clients but for a small normal house? Never used one, genuinely curious how it can be better than a £150 unit e.g. the above.

Soldato
All you can do is try it.

That VR900 is fairly premium though, and has good reviews, I wouldn't expect a massive improvement but who knows.

Thats part of the problem really. I'm sure the VR900 would be much better than the current PlusNet router but I'm restricted with where in the house it is as it has to be at the front where the BT master socket is! If I could somehow get it to the centre of the house ID probably be happy enough with just a VR900!

Soldato
Thats part of the problem really. I'm sure the VR900 would be much better than the current PlusNet router but I'm restricted with where in the house it is as it has to be at the front where the BT master socket is! If I could somehow get it to the centre of the house ID probably be happy enough with just a VR900!

I'm a little confused about what kit you've got where but it sounds like all you need is modem > homeplug > router/AP, which you can then locate wherever you like in the house. Assuming you've currently got the modem plugged into the router with an ethernet cable. And assuming your homeplugs can bridge them as if they were just an ethernet cable. I did a quick search and it seems possible.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a little confused about what kit you've got where but it sounds like all you need is modem > homeplug > router/AP, which you can then locate wherever you like in the house. Assuming you've currently got the modem plugged into the router with an ethernet cable. And assuming your homeplugs can bridge them as if they were just an ethernet cable. I did a quick search and it seems possible.

My PlusNet router and BT modem are at the front of the house next to the front door due to the master socket being there. This gives me poor wireless when at the rear of the property and just outside the rear of the property.

I know I could move the router somewhere else centrally in the house to give better coverage using a homeplug but the issue i'm having is that the good centre spots in my house don't have power outlets near - hence why the Ubiquiti looks good as its POE.

I may firstly just swap the modem and router to a VR900 and see what improvements in wifi that gives me with it still being at the front of the house.

If im still having problems I'll look into adding a Ubiquiti to my setup.

Back
Top Bottom