Some basic Questions on AIO maintenance.

Associate
I have the Raijintek Triton cooler, well kinda.The pump broke on it recently*, however I'm not entirely certain I couldn't have cared for it better;
  • I've had it 7 months and never put any water in it, is it likely to have need a refill by that time?
  • It began "gurgling" so in Bios I switched its power mode from Auto to DC, and it died a week later.
  • The tubing had 1 kink in it.

So yeah looking to do it right this time if people could please be so kind to answer the following questions.
  1. What power mode should I use Auto, DC or PWM? It's a 3 pin connector I put on the W-Pump connector on my Asus Gene board.
  2. What water do I need to buy to top it up? How often? To What level?
  3. I'm looking to shorten the bendy rubber pipes, is there some sort of joiner or fixing kit, so I can alter its length to suit this time please?

*Raijintek have I think been pretty exemplary in sorting me out, Communication was extremely quick, if a little brief, and they've said they'll send me a new unit, no ETA mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
Correct mode for a 3 pin device would be DC. 3 pin is voltage control: you change the voltage, you change the speed of the fan/pump. Auto should (by its name) work too. PWM is for 4 pin devices but all that would happen if you set it to thar is the pump would run at full speed.

I'm not really familiar with AIOs but my understanding is that you shouldn't need to top them up on any sort of regular basis. It should certainly say in the instructions if you do. That said, it isn't unheard of for it to need topping up and if there is a fill port, you can top it up with deionised water from the supermarket.

I would think that if you shorten the hoses you'd invalidate the warranty as they're supposed to be a sealed system. We're you to do it, you'd want to connect it at the ends rather than join it in the middle - if they've made thar possible.

Associate
OP
Yeah I'm worried about messing with the end connectors... messing with the middle seemed easier, or at least for fudgeable.

I'll start it on DC this time.
Should I reset my Bios to stock Bios settings before starting with my new cooler, or as it's a direct replacement, just switch them out?

Soldato
You shouldn't need to reset your bios as the only thing that's changing is the pump - maybe just start it off at full speed and turn it down in software once you know it's working. You can probably just set it to some fixed speed that is less noisy than full. You probably won't find much temperature difference between say 50%, 75% and 100%. I run my DDC at about 8V because it's then silent. It gives me around 80l/h flow vs 150l/h at full power but temp difference is minimal.

A review of the Triton says the fittings are epoxied (glued) but it doesn't sat whether it's the fitting glued into the res or the tube glued into the fitting - or both. If the tube is glued in you may be stuffed but otherwise it may be just a normal compression fitting. If it is, you just unscrew the collar and then the tube comes off a barb. Shorted tube, push new end over barb and screw collar back on again.

Associate
OP
You've been very helpful thank you Cenedd.
And LePhuronn, it's a free replacement from their excellent customer services, paypal me £70 and I may heed your advice :p

Soldato
According to a quick Google, the Raijntek uses 12.5/9.5mm tubing so 13/10 compression fittings ought to fit.

You could stack two compression fittings and a coupler to make a joining piece but it is likely to void your warranty and I would heed what LePhuronn said as there do seem to have been a number of incidents where the acrylic res has cracked and leaked over graphics cards. I've not experienced this first-hand as I don't have one but have a read of the reviews of the Triton on OCUK and see whether you'd be happy without a warranty before you go cutting the tubes!

Associate
OP
According to a quick Google, the Raijntek uses 12.5/9.5mm tubing so 13/10 compression fittings ought to fit.

You could stack two compression fittings and a coupler to make a joining piece

That's a perfect post for me to save if I need to do that, thank you.
As alluded to by LePhuronn, the product has had a some poor reception*, so I don't think I'll worry too much about the warranty this time, but thank you for the heads up. If it goes wrong again, I'll take the hint and get a Noctua air fan or something :p.

*They've sent me a new unit, sharpish, being delivered 6th of May, no hassle. So I really can't fault Raijintek's customer service, they've been excellent.

Associate
OP
New pump fixed it, if anyone cared :) I trimmed the pipes and they have a great re-fitting system. All good.

Thanks everyone who helped :)

Associate
Really just bin it And dont ever get another Raijintek product there after service is crap and if you even ask about the failure rate on there facebook page you get banned and post removed .
Why OCUK even deal with a cowboy company like this is beyond me

Soldato
Agreed I would have counted myself lucky if I was you and sold that replacement unit you were sent unopened. I hope your not posting again in a month or 2 that your gpu has died due to the cooler leaking. Good luck.

Soldato
Why OCUK even deal with a cowboy company like this is beyond me

Raijintek were only started in 2013. Possibly OCUK saw a new company with interesting products at a competitive price and thought its customers would appreciate them....and we did. New stuff is always a gamble. Even EK have had issues with their AIO stuff and they've been in the watercooling business for years. The Triton is a good looking product at a very attractive price. Truth be told I was looking at one myself to watercool my wife's PC on the cheap (for my benefit in peace and quiet :D). It's only the leaking stories that put me off - thanks to those who reviewed it.
Most tech companies seem to go through a stage of bad customer service when they're new. They either get over it, go out of business or have a product we want so much we grudgingly put up with their attitude.

The valid question would be why are OCUK still selling their stuff? And that would probably be answerable as easily. Raijintek have probably said that the problems are now fixed....and maybe they are. Time will tell. Trouble is that we're a very unforgiving bunch (can't imagine why water on a £700 graphics card would upset us! ;) ) and are likely to just stay clear until such time as they have more than proved they have fixed the problems.

So, OP your feedback on how the replacement performs and lasts could be very important [to Raijintek] .... which might be why you got better customer service from them (I'm so cynical). Still, if they can make a reliable product at this price point, I'd buy one (if I haven't filled the need already by then).
</2 cents> :cool:

Back
Top Bottom