Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Soldato
Installing it now. I was in the 15.10 none LTS version.

I thought LTS was the extended support edition? Does that mean when the next update to v16 which isn't LTS I won't be able to upgrade to too?

This is actually the first time I've done a Ubuntu update. Never had it running on a dedicated machine before.

Soldato
Dropping support for the prop AMD driver is an interesting move...

Installing it now. I was in the 15.10 none LTS version.

I thought LTS was the extended support edition? Does that mean when the next update to v16 which isn't LTS I won't be able to upgrade to too?

Upgrades are only from one version to another (e.g. 14.10 to 15.10) or one LTS to another LTS (e.g. 14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS).

Regular has a 6 month cycle and 9 months support, LTS has a 2 year cycle and 5 year support.

P.S. might be obvious but the version numbers are YY.MM format of the release date. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Completely agree that fglrx needs to die but I really hope AMD expand their Linux driver to some degree. I know the new AMDGPU driver is supposed to be an improvement but it only supports R9 285 and up cards :/

Associate
Whats wrong with the opensource driver?

I use that with my AMD 6450.

There's nothing wrong with the open source driver, the issue I have with it is that the newer AMDGPU driver that features OpenGL 4.3 is only available for Volcanic and Sea Island cards. Anything below the R9 285 card has to use the older radeon open source drivers which only has up to OpenGL 4.1 as far as I'm aware.

Soldato
Well I've upgraded from 14.04 server and everything seems fine.

I had some trouble as they replaced upstart and i tried to be lazy and reinstalled upstart to get round some of my apps not starting at boot. However that just broke lvm so I switched back and did it properly.

As it's the server edition I'm hard pushed to notice any differences but I expect it's more obvious with the desktop edition.

Soldato
Made the switch on 2 out of my 4 Ubuntu desktop devices.

So far the only problem is that Teamviewer has stopped working and I can't get the microphone volume slider to appear.

Only noticeable difference I can see is the icons are a little cleaner looking in file manager and it's updated all the major apps such as Firefox and Office and they look a little cleaner.

Soldato
This has got me wondering about something and maybe you lot can advise.

I've picked up an old Radeon FirePro V4900 (Turks) and want to know what driver support to expect for it in 16.04 LTS. I think it's akin to a Radeon HD 6670 from the consumer line.

If I've understood it right, the radeon driver will still support it under the r600g driver. Is this the best choice? All this driver business has got me confused. :D

Soldato
After a couple of days with 16.04;
I've now got teamviewer working but it is a bit buggy. Anything that runs through WINE isn't quite as polished as it was before with 14.04. Winbox for example doesn't always open up the window for some kit but it does others.

I like the revised Ubuntu Software (centre) it's cleaner and easier to use. Menus seem to be smoother and better looking.

Overall, probably not worth the upgrade (yet) from 14.04 as there isn't enough positive changes in my eyes. Maybe by the time they're ready to launch 16.10 will be the right time to hop onto 16.04LTS

Associate
Ordered a 60GB mSATA SSD for my Gigabyte BRIX (Gaming version, the one with AMD CPU + GPU) so I can install it. (There's an encrypted Windows partition already on the hard drive and I didn't want to mess up anything.)

So far so good, went with Ubuntu MATE, lack of proprietary drivers sucks but it's not an issue, all I do is browse, some coding and do stuff with terminal anyways, the open source drivers works fine.

Mate DE and Ambiance theme are my favourites.

Back
Top Bottom