Is 32GB better for my Apps, et?

Associate
I'm very shortly upgrading to an Asus Z170 Hero MB, Core i7-6700K, but instead of 16GB of DDR4 RAM, I may as well go for 32GB. Games and sims don't seem to use more than 16GB, but I have heard some apps will benefit? I use Corel and Adobe Photo apps, Sony Movie app, and creative 3D apps, for 3D modelling, et. I think these apps do benefit from the extra ram to make the processing a little faster? Any views please.

Soldato
I went for 16gb in Summer 2014 when I knew 8gb would probably be enough because I really wanted to max out my 2 slot board.

I'm glad I did as I never have to think about RAM usage at all.

The most RAM usage I've ever seen was from stitching a very large RAW panorama in Photoshop but I've still not done the video editing I need to do that made me go for an i7.

Would I go for 32gb now in the same circumstances...maybe.

Video editing will eat up RAM but I'm not sure about modelling.

Personally, unless you know you will definitely make use of the extra 16gb I wouldn't spend the money now...especially as you have extra slots.

Associate
If you're building a new system and can afford the extra RAM, get it - its not like computing will ever end up needing less of it in the future.

Associate
I've just built my new X99 rig and fitted 64Gb

I was rendering a video from within Premier last night and saw the RAM usage go up to 48Gb during the export.

Extra RAM makes a big difference when encoding form within Premier.

Soldato
I recently built a new 6700k Z170 system with 32GB DDR4.

For gaming the extra ram makes no difference, as you'd expect. And probably this will remain the case throughout the lifetime of the machine.

But for multi-tasking Photoshop, Painter and other similar apps it does help. I like to have multiple productivity apps open as I move images between them or work on different things without having to keep closing apps. I tend to work with rather large images with lots of layers (digital paintings, panoramic photo stitching etc). Whilst 16GB would probably be ample day-to-day, it's nice to have the extra overhead and not need to reboot several times daily to reclaim leaked / fragmented memory like I used to need to do with my 8GB machine.

RAM prices are in a good place at the moment. This may or may not be the case moving forward. However, in my experience the hardest part of adding extra RAM later is sourcing new sticks that match your existing sticks, especially if it's several years down the line. This is why I tend to just over-spec the RAM on the initial build and then I don't have to worry about upgrading it later.

Associate
However, in my experience the hardest part of adding extra RAM later is sourcing new sticks that match your existing sticks, especially if it's several years down the line. This is why I tend to just over-spec the RAM on the initial build and then I don't have to worry about upgrading it later.

I was going to make the arguement that the OP should wait until theres actually a bottleneck,but this is a very good point and has got me thinking about upgrading from the 16gb I just bought.

Back
Top Bottom