NVMe on a PCIe adapter card

Soldato
Just wanted to check if this was possible/worthwhile.

I'm considering a PCIe/NVMe SSD (either the 850 pro or the OEM drive, we'll see).

Don't currently have a M.2 slot on my board (still running an ivybridge setup) so was thinking about using one of the adapter cards as I'm only running single GPU so have spare lanes for it. As and when I move to a newer setup (probably kaby lake or zen onwards at least) I can ditch the PCIe adapter card and stick it in the board.

Are the card+m.2 drives bootable when used in this setup? Which card (and if it makes a difference, which drive?). The PCIe m.2 to pcie cards start at £8 so it seems a fairly minimal investment/waste :)

Is it possible to get the NVMe speeds working using this method or are you stuck with AHCI? My motherboard can do NVMe boot with a beta bios so that part's covered.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can mod your bios to use an oem nvme drive, or just buy a 950pro which has a built in orom. Get the asus mini card to use either.

Yes you can get full speeds with an adapter

Last edited:
Soldato
Get the DT120 for half that price, same performance. Asus tax.

Cheers for that, there is a review for it on the OCUK site though which says:

BishBosh said:
EVGA z97 but i only get 830M/B up and down in sequential read / write . I was hoping for more and i know my Sammy 950 pro Vnand has plenty more to give

Obviously could be an isolated issue as we don't know his setup but do you think going through an adapter could limit the performance compared to a proper slot on the motherboard?

Soldato
Cheers for that, there is a review for it on the OCUK site though which says:

Obviously could be an isolated issue as we don't know his setup but do you think going through an adapter could limit the performance compared to a proper slot on the motherboard?
Might of been using the Microsoft drivers not the Samsung ones? Works fine on my z97 system.

Back
Top Bottom