HTC Vive

Soldato
Is the standing only experience really that much worse than room-scale? I would have thought you could still use it ok as a lot of movement in VR seems to be based on teleportation?

Also for games like Audio Shield, can you not just stand there and move your hands with the controllers? Do you really need to be able to walk around all the time?

Associate
Hi
i just wanted some feedback from people who have HTC VIVE for a short period of time
and ask is it worth the investment?
or should i wait like 6mnths before there is more software games available for the vive?
i mean is the experience worth the price tag?
i also was interested to know do you think we will see a VIVE 2? like within the next 12 months i do not want to go crazy on VR and then it is out of date in 12 months time
what is the general feeling on this product is it super great
or does the novelty wear thin after a few days?

Don
I doubt there will be a Vive 2 within 12 months due to GPU power not being there yet to drive the next generation of panels. Probably 12 months after release we will find out about the next gen.
If you are really interested in VR then yeah, it's worth the money. If you need to stretch to afford it then I'd say to wait. There are a lot of great experiences but few engaging games at the moment.

Associate
Is the standing only experience really that much worse than room-scale? I would have thought you could still use it ok as a lot of movement in VR seems to be based on teleportation?

Also for games like Audio Shield, can you not just stand there and move your hands with the controllers? Do you really need to be able to walk around all the time?

Honestly, yes it is.

Once you have used room scale, you feel so restricted going back to anything less. It will always be like that. Even if room scale, you get annoyed sometimes when there are parts of the level you just can't reach.

Associate
American truck sim works with the vive, go to properties and add launch option -openvr, untick steam theatre mode and select the beta oculus 1.30 it's brilliant :)

Soldato
God I want my Vive to arrive!!!!!! any update on when the Ocuk orders will be sent out!!!!! :D ordered mine the day after the VR room opened :D

You must have been number one in the ocuk orders as i was number two before i cancelled, i was told mid to late may, possibly early June but couldn't get any more concrete info than that.

Associate
What exactly are the advantages to the fresnel lenses that Oculus and HTC use for the latest headsets? Because the more and more I use them - they seem like a massive downgrade. I prefered the lenses on the DK2 and GearVR! Didn't have any of the annoying glare effects, plus the grooves in the fresnel lenses are surprisingly noticeable at times.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
What exactly are the advantages to the fresnel lenses that Oculus and HTC use for the latest headsets? Because the more and more I use them - they seem like a massive downgrade. I prefered the lenses on the DK2 and GearVR! Didn't have any of the annoying glare effects, plus the grooves in the fresnel lenses are surprisingly noticeable at times.
Thickness. They keep the depth of the hmd down. Normal lenses would be 2-3x as thick.

Soldato
Tried a VIVE today, pretty cool technology. Loved the recognition of controllers and transformation into hands / guns etc.

Think it has made my decision though... resolution is too low for the time being. Could have just been the demos who knows.

So will wait for VR round 2 and gen 2 headsets

Associate
Unfortunately I get really bad judder every time I move my head.
Tried putting everything on low but changes nothing.
Will have to have a play around...

Fixed my juddering issue in both Euro Truck Sim and Elite.
Simply disable SLI. No more judder.

Playing Euro Truck on High setting and Elite on HMD High, no sign of judder.

Shame the galaxy map in Elite is unusable when in VR - sure they will fix it.

Soldato
Soldato
FYI if you are using Razer Surround/Synapse and have issues with the Vive it might be worth uninstalling the Razer software to see if cures the issues.

Might be the Beta drivers that has an issue with it as i'm sure it was working with the release Vive drivers.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Just got delivery notice of my 2nd one, despite being on the May delivery slot for it, and despite being in the middle of futile e-mail ping pong trying to cancel it!

Back
Top Bottom