Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
Picked this up in the end,

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc...-ion-cordless-combi-drill-impact-driver/7017j

Very very happy with it. Both 18v and the drill has the hammer action, the impact driver is a beast.

I can't wait to use it in anger.

Edit; They are only 1.3AH but for the usage they will be getting it's perfect.

I Used the impact driver today to replace the rear silencer on my son's car.

The bracket was rusted up, so a quick spray with WD40 and used an Erbauer impact adapter and an impact socket, nuts came undone with ease,

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-impact-socket-driver-set-3-pieces/6297d

Loving this kit!!!!

Associate
I Used the impact driver today to replace the rear silencer on my son's car.

The bracket was rusted up, so a quick spray with WD40 and used an Erbauer impact adapter and an impact socket, nuts came undone with ease,

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-impact-socket-driver-set-3-pieces/6297d

Loving this kit!!!!

I bought that exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. My dad gave me a dewalt impact driver and I was wondering how I could attach sockets to it like the air ones in a garage. Found these on screwfix and bought. They're great!

Soldato
Got myself adewalt DCF886 impact driver, not used it yet but looks to be a cracking bit of kit. Should come in handy with the planned future projects.

Soldato
Hmm seems that "Bosch GSB 1600 RE" doesn't have hammer action..

You shouldn't need much for most brick. I would suggest something light <=2Kg class.

850W would probably be too much - my Bosch 850W SDS (3.2J) can blow the back out of bricks if they're weak and drilling house bricks is matter of about 5 seconds to go through it.. so anything around 700-750W (~1.6J hammer action) would work and be suitable for 99% of the DIY tasks. Having a SDS helps brickwork and longer drills that can snag but normal chucks work for most drilling with hammer action.
Don't worry too much about max RPM, the bigger bits need slower RPM anyway. Mine does 950RPM max for example which is more than enough for coring and drilling brick.

I've cored 100cm and drilled the full length of a 46cmx18mm drill bit through hard concrete I will say the feature you MUST have is a safety clutch incase the drill snags - a reverse is also good if you hit something.

Pretty much any of the Bosch blue SDS-plus range around 700W in the 2Kg class will last you for any task. You could go for the hammer drill (non-SDS) but you may find it's harder for the tasks you want the power for. You can get swap out chucks but also adaptors. The only thing is the hammer drills tend to be less bulky.

Soldato
I treated myself to the DeWalt DCS331 jigsaw a few weeks back and have had my first chance to use it in anger today sorting out the fireplace. I can't believe how I survived without a cordless jigsaw in my life before.. It makes cutting things so much easier than the ancient corded B&D thing I had before!

Soldato
What are peoples thoughts on the TITAN TTB278SDS 5KG SDS+ DRILL 230-240V - £49, great reviews.

Given the reviews - 5Kg.. it's heavy and big. It's likely to output too much hammer power for domestic bricks (the back blow out with my 3.2J 2Kg class). The drill you've linked to is 8J. At that rating it's more jack hammer than DIY unless you're dealing with hard core concrete. Also you have to hold all that steady..

I have a Titan drill press. It's a bit agricultural and not the most precise tool.

Associate
Replaced my old Bosch Green combi with this:

IMG_20160501_190804.jpg

Will allow me to get an impact driver and share batteries which was one of the main aims of the upgrade. 13mm chuck is another bonus. First impressions are very good build quality despite the cheapy case it comes in. I'm quite pleased with the price as I paid £108 for it with the 2 batteries.

Dave

Man of Honour
Given the reviews - 5Kg.. it's heavy and big. It's likely to output too much hammer power for domestic bricks (the back blow out with my 3.2J 2Kg class). The drill you've linked to is 8J. At that rating it's more jack hammer than DIY unless you're dealing with hard core concrete. Also you have to hold all that steady..

I have a Titan drill press. It's a bit agricultural and not the most precise tool.

Agreed about brick, but it depends what your house is built from. Ours is a mix of brick and 18 inch thick hard stone.

For the price it's pretty good, but not something for precision drilling.

Soldato
I have the Machine mart version of that 5KG drill and it has paid for itself on various jobs around house and garden - I would also say buy a smaller 2kg one as well - I have a SDS+ from Lidl for 29 quid and that has also paid for itself

If you are going to use them every day then buy a more expensive one - There again Lidl gives a 3 year warranty - not sure about Titan one.

Ps -- Lidl are doing SDS drill on Thursday for 39 quid - the fit bird holding drill hasn't got her safety boots on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Replaced my old Bosch Green combi with this:

Will allow me to get an impact driver and share batteries which was one of the main aims of the upgrade. 13mm chuck is another bonus. First impressions are very good build quality despite the cheapy case it comes in. I'm quite pleased with the price as I paid £108 for it with the 2 batteries.

Dave

Decent drill and a great price for it! I've always thought the Dewalt cases were some of the better quality cases, unless they have changed recently. Beats the cheapo blow molded ones or the brittle plastic some use. They can take quite a beating.

Associate
The T-Stak stuff is great, as mine as an entry level Dewalt it comes with what seems no better than the blow moulded Bosch one I had previously.

Dave

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Gong to get ridiculed now....

Just bought the Lidl power saw and angle grinder and so far they have been fantastic. Tempted to get the power drill on offer now.

Soldato
Got myself adewalt DCF886 impact driver, not used it yet but looks to be a cracking bit of kit. Should come in handy with the planned future projects.

I have just bought this,, it was a tos up between that and the impact version, but since I need it for pc building and inside diy jobs, aswel as outside jobs, I decided the normal screwdriver was better suited for my needs.. Its a shame they cannot put a normal screwdriver and impact driver in 1 unit.

Bosch_Akkubohrschrauber_GSR_10_8_LI_G.jpg

Back
Top Bottom