The wheel of time

Soldato
I don't think he is bad, just not really my taste. I read his books he is just far from the better authors I read.

I find his religious beliefs colour his books too much, they make too vanilla and high fantasy for me and that sub genre, whilst the settings and idea can be great which is what Sanderson does well, the tone and portrayal I find hard to swallow.

As I said above I find him a paint by numbers author, he is extremely formulaic with all his books to the extent that every book you know there is s twist in the last quarter So that (for me) that his twists never have their intended effect because you know something is coming a mile away and when it will arrive.

It lends itself well to pumping out books and reads well as long as you don't mind samey format and can cope with setting aside the unknown to live in his fantasy world but personally, I cant. I want to be on edge in my books and be kept guessing which he never does.

Despite the above his prose is tight, his descriptive work is marvellous and his creativity is hard to rival hence why I still dabble in his books. But as above the tone and style of his tales stop me from really enjoying his work.

Edit. Sorry for some terrible English in the above, too tired to care or fix it but you can see what I'm trying to say.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree with the criticisms above. Its a great world and it was good up to about book 6 or so. But Jordan lost his way completely. I gave up many years ago. Re-read it last year. Because I picked up the last two books cheap. Speed read huge chunks, even skipped bits. Still think the same of Jordans books. Sanderson books I found very patchy. It felt rushed, and the weighting of the importance of some characters over others felt unbalanced. It was ok, but I didn't hate or love it.

I think they should have reduced the number of characters. But then taken a bit longer to finish it. One more book maybe.

Associate
CoT was a horrendous aberration of a book, like 40x worse than AFFC.

Thought Sanderson did ok closing off the series, I thought the first book he did was very good but not sure if that was because the last few Jordan books were poor (although KoD was miles better than CoT and glad Jordan didn't finish on CoT). First six were very good (probably peaked 4-5), 7-9 standard declined but were ok. Weakest Sanderson book was Towers IMO, really like AMOL but was still left a little unsatisfied by the ending.

I read the first 11 books straight after each other whilst travelling and then the last 3 as they came out so not sure how that clouded my thinking.

Permabanned
Associate
Enjoyed it overall but had no idea what I was getting into after book 1. That moved at such a brisk pace that if you told me it would take another 11/12 books to finish I'd say you were mad!
Massively stalled 3/4s of the way through. Trying to keep track of characters names when they each seem to have 3 or 4+ each. Then they come back from the dead and it becomes a bit of a struggle.

Some epic moments in it though and worthwhile overall. Groups like the Aiel and the folk from across the sea were very interesting!
Some of the bad guys were great too, especially the dagger man. Bit anti-climatic how that ended though.

Associate
The series went downhill after book 5 onwards succumbing to bloat. The author lost the plot thereon and struggled to get back on track, passing away before he could finish the series. George Martin's Song of Ice and Fire is looking at going the same way.

Back
Top Bottom