Non traditional board games

Soldato
Board games have been around for hundreds of years, going back to games like Chess and Go, though now when you talk of 'board games' the general person will immediately thing of something like Risk, Monopoly or even Snakes and Ladders. But there are many hidden gems out there which are slowly starting to become more popular. Games such as Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride.
Websites such as Rock Paper Shotgun have started to cover these in their weekly cardboard children column, Wil Whetaon has a weekly youtube show called Tabletop where he explains and plays through a game with various celebrity friends.

In short, these 'non traditional' board games are slowly becoming more popular. For those of you in London, I'm part of a group called 'London on Board', there are 4-5 meetings a week either on weekday evenings after work, or through the day on weekends. 50-80 gamers descend on a pub, take most of it over, and spend hours playing games. Current favorites include the Game of Thrones board game, Dominion, Power Grid and Coup. And membership is open and free to attend, we are always getting new players and are happy to explain the rules to anyone who hasn't played a game before (I've been going for a few months and I'm still learning different games!)

And with that plug over, what board games do you lot play? And if you don't play any, why not? They are great fun!

Soldato
I love Ticket to Ride, absolutely awesome game. Would like to get involved with something like your group but doesn't seem to be much in the way of it outside of Uni groups up here.

Soldato
Not a true board game, but I played Articulate the other day and it was great fun. Would have snapped it up immediately but it's £30 :eek:. It's just a piece of card and a bunch of cards, how can they charge that much?!!

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Ticket to Ride, Carcassone and 7 Wonders are three we have been playing recently. All very good.

taB

taB

Associate
Also really enjoy Ticket to Ride, gave a friend the expansion for Christmas so looking forward to meeting up with them soon.

Personal fave is Carcasonne with the sensible expansions (Inns & Cathedrals
+ Traders & Builders).

Capodecina
Soldato
Backgammon, loved it since I was about ten. Got this beautiful set from Turkey from my father in law.

EDIT: Just read the OP properly. Never mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I really enjoy 7 wonders, though I am so terrible at it. Always too focused on getting good access to resources, and then it's suddenly the end of the game and I have no victory points!

Currently, I own ticket to ride Europe, the 1912 expansion for it, TTR Marklin, Catan, munchkin plus various expansions, and my current favourite game of all time: Galaxy Trucker.
Trucker is an awesome game, you have a pile of spaceship components sitting face down in he middle of the table, and everyone has to race to grab pieces and either stick them on to their ship (there is an outline to limit size and shape) or stick them back in the middle. All of this racing against the clock. By far my favourite game, every game is different but it is always good fun!

Soldato
Love Settlers of Catan and recently got Caylus which is quite good.

Also was introduced to Bohnanza (the Bean card game) a while back which is really good fun and easy to play with just a few people (even just 2) - play it fairly regularly with friends now.

Last edited:
Associate
Been watching a load of Tabletop recently and really want to get some sort of group together but a lot of the people I know would laugh at my nerdy little face.

Still probably going to try and pick up Small World at some point and bring it out at Christmas as an alternative to the hatefest that is monopoly

Soldato
OP
I've played loads of bsg with all the expansions and love it. But then this weekend I played it just with the base game. Ugh, never again! So few characters to pick from, the cylon attack method, the lack of options for revealed cylons... It's just painful!

Soldato
I've played loads of bsg with all the expansions and love it. But then this weekend I played it just with the base game. Ugh, never again! So few characters to pick from, the cylon attack method, the lack of options for revealed cylons... It's just painful!

Yeah... it really, really needs both the expansions. Vassal supports it too ;) Although I prefer playing it in the flesh, it's not as fun without being able to repeatedly accuse people of being a cylon and not seeing their face

- GP

Back
Top Bottom