Talk to me about Polarising Filters

Underboss
Hi all

before you ask, yes I have used the search button and yes I did read them all, but although very helpful and now I understand these filters a lot more, I need some advice

My camera skills are very limited, I normally use "Aperture priority" or "Shutter Priority" modes on my Nikon D7000

with that in mind, I have a trip of a lifetime coming up in 3 months, and I want to make the most of it of what I can with my camera skills (or lack of)

2 weeks in America with a wedding in the middle at the Grand Canyon.

Do you think it is worth me purchasing a CPL with my lack of skill ?
CPLs seem to be one of the best filters to purchase, but unsure if it will suit my needs

lens is a 67mm

thanks

Soldato
Buy one it takes very little skill to use one and I wouldn't leave the house to shoot landscape/scenery without one! Oh and if your shooting ap or shutter priority then you doing exactly what most of the members here do most of the time don't fall into the shooting manual is what's makes you a photographer trap!

Caporegime
Buy one it takes very little skill to use one and I wouldn't leave the house to shoot landscape/scenery without one! Oh and if your shooting ap or shutter priority then you doing exactly what most of the members here do most of the time don't fall into the shooting manual is what's makes you a photographer trap!

This x1000

Underboss
OP
thanks guys, D.P. I know your a photographer so if you agree with the other poster, that's good enough for me

bit lost on purchasing one though, Jessops have a Hoya on offer at the moment for £55, but the purple people have the same one ( I think) for £25

not really sure what to get...

hux

hux

Soldato
America you say, I'd be more inclined to use an nd grad with all that sun.

polarizers are usually reserved for water shots, or anywhere reflections will be an issue.

Marumi super dhg are the best for the money.

Caporegime
America you say, I'd be more inclined to use an nd grad with all that sun.

polarizers are usually reserved for water shots, or anywhere reflections will be an issue.

Marumi super dhg are the best for the money.

Wrong I'm afraid, a CPL is used whenever you are putside, especially if the sun us shiny.

They will increase contrast and color saturation, reduce haze, and.darken overly bright skies. On a sunny day there is no need for an ND Grad.

Associate
On my Hoya there is a small arrow/triangular mark.

Rotate this mark so it is pointing in the direction of the sun is a good starting point I think. I only use it in good weather and it does work, helps get rid of the faded summer look.

Back
Top Bottom