RIP Windows Phone

Soldato
Hence why I said the insider program was like Nexus. Except it for most devices. Nexus are all higher end. The moto approach of pure-ish Android was great. If it continues.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm confused as to what thats saying? The 8S got 8.1 but not the first major update? Was there an Insider Program for 8.1 too?

Edit: Oh yep, seems it was introduced at the end of the 8 cycle, with GDR3. I thought it was a Windows 10 thing.

Edit 2: Hmm, there is support for some non Lumia phones in the WP10 Preview... but only 2 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-supported-phones. Shame.

Last edited:
Soldato
My 640XL is a 1GB phone, and WP10 works better than 8.1 for me.

You've taken my comment out of context. I was saying w8.1 works better on 1GB of ram than 512GB. My 640 I'd far less crashy than my 520. Much slicker.

I've only put WP10 on the 640 since yesterday. Very fast. Lots of things working much better than 8.1. Some weird differences. For example photo albums work differently. As do thumbnails on the folders. I can no longer pin an album to the start screen. Things like that.

Soldato
You've taken my comment out of context. I was saying w8.1 works better on 1GB of ram than 512GB. My 640 I'd far less crashy than my 520. Much slicker..

Oh I see, sorry about that.

I've only put WP10 on the 640 since yesterday. Very fast. Lots of things working much better than 8.1. Some weird differences. For example photo albums work differently. As do thumbnails on the folders. I can no longer pin an album to the start screen. Things like that.

Yes, I was surprised how fast it is, it has rejuvenated my phone ! I almost always used to get a bit of jerkiness when returning to the home screen, that has completely gone now.

Caporegime
iOS is a closed ecosystem though. Messing with it is against the terms. Given the access to finances the fingerprint reader has this is a good idea.

Plus, why do people bother with non genuine fixes? My sisters phone developed an issue and she just walked into an Apple store and walked out with a brand new replacement handset 10 minutes later.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would dutch my sony xperia in an instant if i could get apps for wp! By far the best phobe i have ever had was my 920.

Moved to android for paypal and lloyds apps, same as my cctv software for my business. Its essential. The stuff wp does by default i cannot even replicate on android. Might have more apps, but thats all.

Associate
iOS is a closed ecosystem though. Messing with it is against the terms. Given the access to finances the fingerprint reader has this is a good idea.

It would be an even better idea to delete the financial data and disable touch id rather than brick your phone. I'd be pretty fed up if Nissan crushed my car because I had new brakes fitted somewhere else.

On topic, I don't think windows phone is dead yet but it is certainly circling the drain which is a shame as it is my favourite phone OS. Windows 10 works pretty well on my 930 but I just worry that MS are having þhe right idea at the wrong time with one OS and continuum. I can see it disappearing and Google or Apple perfecting it in a year or 2.

Caporegime
The fact you have highlighted the 'your' in that suggests that your of the opinion that once you buy something you can do whatever you like with it. This is not always the case, certainly with Apple stuff.

A quick search of the terms shows a pretty blanket 'you agree to not alter anything to do with the provision of the Apple Pay service term', which getting a 3rd party fingerprint scanner alteration certainly does.

Nissan would only crush your car if there was a term in your contract that said they could if you got a non approved brakes replacement done. They don't have this, clearly.

Last edited:
Associate
The fact you have highlighted the 'your' in that suggests that your of the opinion that once you buy something you can do whatever you like with it. This is not always the case, certainly with Apple stuff.

A quick search of the terms shows a pretty blanket 'you agree to not alter anything to do with the provision of the Apple Pay service term', which getting a 3rd party fingerprint scanner alteration certainly does.

Nissan would only crush your car if there was a term in your contract that said they could if you got a non approved brakes replacement done. They don't have this, clearly.

Its a good job Apple don't have a clause somewhere giving them rights to take your firstborn into slavery and let Tim Cook have a go on your missus then. For the record I'm not arguing that Apple are wrong in why they are taking action, in fact I agree and think that people should expect some comeback on replacing security-critical parts independently. I just think bricking a phone is grossly disproportionate.

Anyhow, all of this is irrelevant to this thread. :)

Caporegime
They aren't bricking the phones though are they? They can be repaired with a replacement legit sensor. They are disabling the phones, not bricking them.

And yeah its not really relevant, so let's make it relevant... Wheres the Windows Phone NFC payment system and fingerprint reader technology got to? Do they have one?

Last edited:
Soldato
They aren't bricking the phones though are they? They can be repaired with a replacement legit sensor. They are disabling the phones, not bricking them.

No I read somewhere else that people are taking them into Apple repair centres, and they are saying nothing can be done, the phone is permanently disabled and can no longer be used.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...essage-break-handsets-taken-party-repair.html

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2016/02/05/apple-error-message-killing-iphones/

Tife Odutola, a 22-year-old administrative assistant in Baltimore, said Error 53 killed his iPhone 6 after he paid a repairman at a mall kiosk $75 to fix a cracked screen. The repairman broke the phone’s fingerprint sensor during the screen replacement. Mr. Odutola said he accepted an older home button as a replacement in exchange for a discount.

The phone functioned fine until, a few days later, he tried to upgrade the software. Then, he said, the phone became “a brick.” Mr. Odutola took a day off work to visit an Apple store to fix the issue, “but once I told them I had Error 53, it was like I had the plague,” he said. “They told me they couldn’t even touch the phone. They said once I went to a third party, it voided the warranty.”

Mr. Odutola said he then spent three hours persuading the mall kiosk to purchase his dead iPhone for $350 and reimburse him for the repair — money he used to buy a new iPhone. But he said he can’t get back all the photos and videos on the phone.

“Preventing my data from being stolen is smart. But locking away my data without prior warning isn’t,” he said. “I put that on Apple.”

Last edited:
Caporegime
Should have used iCloud :p

Voiding the warranty and therefore being told to go away at an Apple store I totally understand. It's pretty harsh to lock you out of the phone, but the complaints about Apple forcing people to lose their data are a bit unfair, its no different to if you lost or broke your phone and didn't have any backup in place.

The flip side, if they didn't do this, is a load of articles of how "the mall phone repair man stole my data!"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom