Building survey missed obvious asbestos issue - any recourse?

Soldato
What was the outcome of this in the end?

Surveyor or Analyst? Your advice is bang on the money, I have a 4SC to do tomorrow on a similar area (3 days is about right depending on what is above the ceiling panels). Its not really a complex area and if the walls are sheeted as well (for the sake of the air test if nothing else) then it will be a simple removal.

DO NOT attempt to remove this yourself., you will without a doubt contaiminate your home :D

Soldato
I'm an asbestos surveyor and analyst, and I would heavily advise against doing any works to this yourself. Its just not worth the risk, and you couldn't ensure the rest of the garage wasn't contaminated after doing it. It wouldn't just be a case of taking the boards off and bagging them, the whole garage would have to be thoroughly cleaned, the beams planed or wirebrushed, screw holes drilled out. Don't forget you would need a method of decontaminating yourselves. As somebody said earlier, a half mask would not have enough protection factor for the fibre release of snapping those boards.

Generally, the building surveyors who do housing don't have a clue about what is and isn't asbestos apart from the obvious products. My sister in laws survey completely missed the fact that a 1 tonne heavy breezeblock wall was unsupported on the first floor, and was warping the beams of the entire house.

Who do you work for? :D

Soldato
Sorry to go off topic, just have a quick question if you dont mind. How much did it cost to have it tested and which company did you use? I have a bad feeling the vinyl floor tiles in my kitchen are asbestos and a couple of them have started to break.

Associate
OP
I'll post up more details and answer you guys later when i get home, but just to let you know i received a call earlier to say the ombudsman found in my favour and have offered 4k. :D
I'll post up the report they emailed when i get to my laptop.

Associate
OP
Sorry to go off topic, just have a quick question if you dont mind. How much did it cost to have it tested and which company did you use? I have a bad feeling the vinyl floor tiles in my kitchen are asbestos and a couple of them have started to break.

I phoned several companies, they all charged upwards of £90, I'd have to bring them the sample (price doubled at least if they came for it) and it would be anywhere from 3 days to 10 days for the results.
Turns out all these companies do is send it to an accredited lab who do the testing. You're effectively paying a middle man for absolutely nothing.

Here is how to find your nearest lab:
http://www.ukas.org/testing/singlesearch.asp

It cost me £30 for the lab to test the sample with a 4hr turnaround! They actually called me 2 hours later.

What ombudsman? Did you go through the RICS?

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/

^these guys.

Associate
OP
Here's a few paragraphs from the report I got sent from the ombudsman:

"
The main issue of your complaint is that after moving into your property you discovered that the internal garage roof was made from asbestos boards. You consider that ...(removed)... should have identified this within the Building Survey completed prior to your purchasing the property.

You purchased the property on 11 September 2015 after the completion of the Building Survey on 1 July 2015. It was only at this time that you identified that the garage ceiling was made up of boards containing asbestos. You consider that had this been identified within the Building Survey, you could have taken action to test this prior to completing the purchase of the property.

You have provided a copy of a certificate of bulk fibre analysis completed by Airborne Environmental Consultants Ltd. dated 25 September 2015. This states that it has tested a sample from within the garage insulation and found it to contain two forms of asbestos (Chrysotile and Amosite). We therefore accept that asbestos is present within the garage.

The Building Survey contained the following information in relation to the garage:

“ 5.01 Garage

There is an integral double garage (at basement level), with brick walls and a solid concrete floor. There us a double metal vehicle door at the front, which appears dated. There were no major defects apparent. There is electric power and light in the garage.”

..(name removed).. has responded to you to say that it is unable to test the materials during a visual inspection. It would therefore have no ability to confirm that there was asbestos present in the garage during its visual inspection. You dispute this saying that the asbestos boards are clearly visible on the ceiling in the garage. Both parties have provided photographs showing the garage ceiling. We can see that there is boarding to the ceiling. While asbestos can only be determined under laboratory conditions if it is suspected during an inspection this should be reported. Having looked at the photographs you have provided we are of the view the white/ grey ceiling should have alerted the surveyor to the fact that the ceiling may contain asbestos materials and this should have been highlighted within the report. The location of the ceiling boards should also have alerted the surveyor to the potential of asbestos. Asbestos was often used in garage ceilings due to its fire resistance qualities. We are of the view there has been a shortfall in reporting.

You have requested that ..(name removed).. covers the cost of removing the asbestos in addition to a refund of the fee paid for the survey. You have provided quotes of £3,495 plus VAT from Environmental Surveying & Remediation Ltd, £3,480 plus VAT from BLS Asbestos and £3560 plus VAT from AIB Solutions Ltd for the removal of the asbestos from the garage. There are also additional quotes for the cost of the removal and installation of the garage doors. The most competitive quote totalling £240 including VAT.

The established basis by the Courts for damages in cases like this is Diminution in Market Value (DMV). This is essentially the difference between what you did pay and what you would have paid, had you been aware of the omission complained about. This is influenced by several factors, including the type of defect, prevailing market conditions and any previous price negotiations. We have to have regard to DMV.

Asbestos in good condition can be left and its removal is not necessary. However, well publicised health issues surrounding asbestos means many people do not wish to share their homes with a potentially dangerous material and will therefore want it removed. You say you had asked the surveyor about the feasibility of knocking down the wall of the garage and extending it. It seems clear you had intentions of undertaking works to the garage meaning had you been made aware of the potential of asbestos it is likely you would have sought a reduction in the purchase price. Taking into account the costs incurred in removing the asbestos we consider a payment of £4000 to be reasonable.

I'm lost with this "Diminution in Market Value" thing. Surely they should cover the above costs I've highlighted?

Soldato
They are agreeing with you.
Saying if you had known the removal work to cost 4k, you would have paid 4k less.
Thus 4k is reasonable, rather than the cost of removal plus refund of the survey fee as you detailed it.
Courts work on what value has been lost, rather than what something directly costs. They are applying the same standard. We don't for the most part have punitive awards.

I am somewhat unclear why the garage door has been mentioned?

Associate
Are they more than covering your costs with the £4k they have offered? Basically the DMV is as stated in the letter it means exactly what it tells you. I.e if you would have know about the asbestos previously you would have asked for a discount from the price of the house to cover the removal since you didn`t know the DMV places you back into the position you would have been in if you did know.

I would put that down as a result to be honest and the fact that you mentioned you were looking to alter the garage should have given alarm bells to the surveyor who should have included that possibility in his report. You can get the 4 grand and get the work done now :)

I assume the issue with the garage door is that it needs removing and refitting to ensure all the asbestos is removed?

Associate
OP
It's a powered garage door, it will require removal whilst the work is taking place and then putting back on and setting up after it.
I have no where to store it and not sure how to set it up so needed a quote for a company to remove it, store it then re-fit.

I still think i should be refunded the survey fee :p

Associate
OP
Are they more than covering your costs with the £4k they have offered? Basically the DMV is as stated in the letter it means exactly what it tells you. I.e if you would have know about the asbestos previously you would have asked for a discount from the price of the house to cover the removal since you didn`t know the DMV places you back into the position you would have been in if you did know.

I would put that down as a result to be honest and the fact that you mentioned you were looking to alter the garage should have given alarm bells to the surveyor who should have included that possibility in his report. You can get the 4 grand and get the work done now :)

Unless i can find a cheaper removal quote then the £4k will cover it, although I will have to have a think about what i'll replace the AIB with. The lounge is above the garage so will need some insulation.

Cheers for clearing up the DMV thing, I've actually been painting the garage floor all evening and the solvent fumes have made me light headed, lol

Back
Top Bottom