3rd time my PC has frozen - windows 10

Associate
OP
Not even 20 mins later and it's locked up again. I really regret paying £1200+ for a pc that doesn't work. This makes me so sad.. Fml.

Associate
OP
Took everything apart and built it again from scratch. Re seated all the ram, cpu, cooler, gpu, wireless card, etc etc. Going to see how it goes now.

Associate
OP
tried turning off sleep in the power options in windows control panel?

It's been on high performance in the power options, but I just turned it to never turn off display or to sleep just now, however I was browsing the net so it wasn't going to sleep anyway :/

Associate
OP
Associate
Is it going to be straightforward to return now you've broke the PCI clip?

PCI-E clip wouldn't make the PC freeze, so it shouldn't matter.

OP: Did you disable C-states and input all voltages + RAM settings in your UEFI by hand? I would try that next. Also try it without your GPU (GPUs can cause full system freezes randomly), and if you have one, with another PSU (PSU could also be the culprit).

Btw how bent is your mobo? You earlier said that only one of your ramsticks was recognized, which could be caused by a bend in the motherboard. Try loosening the screws a bit to see if it helps (over-tightening can cause all sorts of trouble).

Associate
Personally I wouldn't bother with the bootable DOS memtest.
Try HCI memtest in windows. Open as many copies as your CPU has cores then divide approximately 90% of ram equally between each copy.
Windows 10 needs some free memory or the "system and compressed memory" process starts writing to disk.
Minimum 1000% coverage.
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Last edited:
Soldato
I found a simple reason why my laptop seemed to freeze on windows 10 - as soon as Windows produced a notification - the system froze. Mouse became dead. I turned off "notifications" in the action centre and no freezes since. Probably unrelated but if you still have a prob give it a try?

Mel

Soldato
You need to route out the problem its either faulty hardware or corrupt software. I would do a fresh install of windows on a different hard disk just incase that's the problem. Then install drivers etc run some stress tests see if its stable. If it isnt and it freezes run tests just on memory then cpu. Tobe honest it does sound like a driver issue to me.

Back
Top Bottom