Freeview HD on the Samsung H6400

Associate
Hey all does anybody use the freeview HD on there Samsung H6400 the reason i ask is was thinking on getting the aerial on our roof sorted for the freeview HD. With the euro's around the corner wouldn't mind watching it on normal tv. Then something on KODI. At the moment we have an old sky box plugged into our sammy which is downstairs. Thats not HD. Not intrested in getting sky. My question is the freeview tuner on the H6400 anygood or i would i be better off getting a freeview HD box and using that via HDMI. Or just change the sky box for a sky HD box. What would give me a better pic all round. Thanks on any help

Caporegime
you could get a freesat HD box and then run another cable from the sky dish to it. cheaper than getting an aerial, etc plus then you won't have a dish and an aerial.

or you could get sky multiroom and 2 hd boxes.

sky hd boxes cost £20-£40 on gumtree. sky give them out like smarties for new customers so plenty around.

multiroom is like an extra £10 a month but then you get the benefit of all the subscription channels too.

i wouldn't get a sky box from sky they will want £200 for it.

Caporegime
The freeview HD tuner on that telly will be as good or better than anything else

the EPG will be terrible than anything else though. And no recording function either.

If he want's it for basic use it's fine but the cost of a decent roof/attic aerial and installation isn't cheap.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
The 6400 does offer recording, as until I resubbed to sky I plugged a USB stick in and recorded shows while out. Worked fine. The EPG as far as inbuilt tuners go, the 6400 is simple, clean and quick enough.

Personally I'd pick up a cheap sky box or see about getting on the friends and family deal for a sub itself.

Caporegime
Thing is i don't want sky. Even though it would make sense i use kodi for mainly streaming exc. how much is sky hd sports package?

what?

you already state you are using a sky box in the tv downstairs so i assumed you already has a sky sub. what has sky sports got to do with this now?

so you don't have sky yet have a sky box?

then sell the box and buy some freesat boxes. Humax make decent ones but they aren't cheap.

Your other option is to get an aerial installed and then buy freeview boxes which are substantially cheaper than freesat boxes but when you add in aerial and wiring costs it's 6 and half a dozen.

Associate
OP
Sorry no we do not have sky we just use the sky box for freeview really we cancelled sky over a year ago. the tv does have freeview hd. But was wondering if a freeview hd box would give us a better viewing then the in built tuner

Associate
OP
Yea looking at the Freesat boxes they look ideal for what we want. Not intrested really in freetime cause the tv has a lot of the apps that offers. all we want is a decent HD pic good sound and record tv and pause live tv. Any recommendations please Psycho anything from £150 to £200 be fine

Soldato
the EPG will be terrible than anything else though. And no recording function either.

If he want's it for basic use it's fine but the cost of a decent roof/attic aerial and installation isn't cheap.

ehh? :p you can record to an external hdd

i use a portable aerial and get pretty good HD from inbuilt freeview HD :D

Associate
OP
There is deffo a few ways of doing it only downside to be honest not sure what channels the mrs wants to keep using the free sky channels to the freeview channels. I don't really have a say in this matter i work away month on and month off so it be for her mainly and the kids

Last edited:
Caporegime
My tv can also record to usb. But i would never use it. Skys system is hands down 100 times better. The epg is also crap compared to sky. Hes used to using sky so switching to a built in system is a huge step down. One thing sky does do brilliantly is its user interface and features. Also how much content can you record onto a 32GB memory stick? Doubt it would satisfy most people its not a proper recording solution. You may beg to differ but if you have ever used sky its night and day difference.

Freesat boxes will allow him to record multiple channels. If he can get dual feeds to them. Or watch one channel whilst recording another. No in built system allows that.

Basically the built in system on tvs is very basic its why ive never really used mine. My tv has both freeview and freesat tuners as well as multiple usb ports. I still never use them.

First he needs to decide does he want freeview or freesat. The differences are minimal at best.

He already has a sat so freesat seems like the choice to go for.

He will need a proper aerial for freeview. Some people are lucky that a cheap indoor aerial will work but a lot arent and need a proper aerial. Indoor aerials also very basic and have their issues. Loss of signal, corruption, etc. I dont really see the point in recommending one unless its for temporary use.

After choosing which type of system you want freesat or freeview. Do you need or want dual tuners? The ability to record and watch seperate channels or record 2 channels? Then you will require running 2 wires from the sat to 1 box tou cannot use 1 wire and split it. Freeview however i believe only uses 1 wire.

Basically you need to figure out exactly what you want first.

Humax make decent freesat boxes.

Freeview however there are a host of boxes you can buy.

Associate
OP
If freesat gives me simlar channels to what we get now for free with sky then thats the one we will go for. I don't mind paying £150 to £200 on a freesat box if its going to give a good hd pic and sound. not saying freeview wouldnt be good enough from the TV. Just think we are used to the channels from sky

Caporegime
Why don't you list the channels you want to watch so people can stop playing a guessing game regarding whether you will continue to receive them or not?

Caporegime
he is currently receiving freesat from sky as he has no sub.

therefore he want's freesat.

albeit there are probably around maybe 2-3 channels different between freeview and freesat. the differences aren't really worth mentioning tbh.

just buy a humax freesat box and sell your sky box.

Back
Top Bottom