*******C.A.R.S - Community Assisted Race Sim*********

Soldato
What will be interesting is if those tracks hand out the data that they have already produced and then MSM just have to convert that into a track. Which track is best based off of the same data, or will they let MSM drive round the track gathering the data?

hmm, I wonder!

Soldato
The tracks don't really have much useful data (they'll have cad data for width/radius of corners/elevations so it'll be better than nothing, but it won't have bumps etc),

The iRacing track was generated from them doing the laser scanning, seemingly SMS will be doing this as well so it will be two different sets of data to produce the same thing...

One thing to mention is that the rumours are SMS are planning to do vehicle based laser scanning (eg scanner in pick-up truck, being driven slowly around the circuit) whilst iRacing use a stationary scanner at the side of the track done over and over again along the track on both sides to generate the point map. Now in theory the iRacing one is more accurate, however the SMS one isn't exactly going to be crap but will be cheaper and faster to do...

Soldato
LOL just because your lecturer tell u this and that doesnt mean it all applies to the real world! Uni only teaches u the basics. step into the real world and most of the stuff u was taughtin uni dont count in the real world mate hehe

All im saying is this. It takes times to implement new features and improvements like ffb. This game started development 5-6 months with 18months left for dev. give these guys a chance. judge them when theirs a couple of months left. not now ffs
good grief, do you actually read my posts, or do you just pick out a few words and make an opinion based on those?

i said i know ENOUGH about software development practices to know it will take a long time. i did not say i knew every detail about it. this could imply that i know the basics, but not all the details of the real world :rolleyes:

also, i was giving them a chance, i was defending them ffs. i know they are putting a FFB fix in on friday and was wondering why everyone was complaining

guess i'll put this one to you getting up too early to make sensible posts (at quarter to eight i doubt i could do anything constructive)

Associate
This is a brand new game based on the same engine. This engine is still the same one that was used in passed GTR and Rfactor games. Just slightly modified and tweaked.

They started making this game a few months ago and you are already expecting them to have a near finished article with top notch ffb, physics and laser scanned tracks :rolleyes:

The engine may have been made but they still had to start from somewhere. You do not know how difficult and challenging it is to develop a piece of software, even on top of existing engines. I do. I do it as a living and you lik others should not really be slagging off SMS for the apparently **** poor ffb which you can in your own using the debug tools tweak yourself. Plus the fact they are going to update it soon makes you look silly.

If they fix your beloved ffb, what will you moan about next? First it was ffb, then its laser scanning tracks, and now what? Instead of slagging them off, make a proper constructive post like a mature man/woman over in there forums. tell them that ffb needs tweaking here and there and throw in ideas like if they can implement laser scanning tracks instead of going on saying OMG, the FFB IS CRAP, THERE IS NO LASER SCANNING TRACKS AHHHHH.:rolleyes:

i

You really need to calm down. Most (if not all) people here were simply comparing their starting point with where they need to be. If the FFB isn't up to par then I don't see how stating that is a bad thing. The developers rely on this kind of thing to know what to improve.

Also, C.A.R.S is always going to be compared to iRacing (in it's current state) whether or not they like it. This is the inherent danger of releasing early code. You can remind people that it's an early version but it's very hard to not make the comparison especially if you've been playing a very similar game for the last year. Now from what I can see they've made a good start and if the car handling is even close to what iRacing is currently providing then that's very impressive considering.

Soldato
But does C.A.R.S have to be better or as good as iracing for it to be a success? GTR EVO and rfactor are pretty succesful titles that are not as realistic as iracing?

Would you guys be happy with say gtr evo done on this engine with GT5/FORZA type single player modes?

Its like iphone vs other phones. if another phone doesnt sell same or more then the iphone, some people say its a failure

Associate
Why are you talking about sales? These people want this Sim to be the best experience it can be, it helps to have a reference point, so why not compare it to the best alternatives on the market?

It really doesn't matter where they are in terms of the development timeline, they have released a build to be scrutinised so they can target their shortcomings. You really should never give a dev the benefit of the doubt, the proof is very much in the pudding.

Now they know what is to be fixed, let's see if they do it.

Man of Honour
But does C.A.R.S have to be better or as good as iracing for it to be a success? GTR EVO and rfactor are pretty succesful titles that are not as realistic as iracing?

Would you guys be happy with say gtr evo done on this engine with GT5/FORZA type single player modes?

Its like iphone vs other phones. if another phone doesnt sell same or more then the iphone, some people say its a failure

I'll be happy with a product that works properly and is fun too play. The PC has space for a game similar to GT5 or Forza. But it doesn't have to be a SP game to fill that space.

Associate

No not really since iRacing is so expensive. So long as they can offer a decent solid alternative it'll do just fine.

Soldato
As mentioned, it doesn't need to beat iRacing to do well, but if they're aiming at a hardcore sim then it kinda does to match the spec, if that makes sense.

If anything if they don't make it as good a sim as iRacing/netKar it'll do better in terms of sales.

One thing that will be interesting will be the multiplayer side, it sounds quite similar to iRacing so again it'll be interesting to see what they implement and how, anything new etc :)

Peronally i dont think there should be a single player with AI, its just not worth it, the AI has never been right in any racing game.

I agree, I can't say I miss the AI on iRacing at all, I can always jump into an online practice and generally have some fun there without worrying too much, or do a race against real people which will always be far superior to AI...

Associate
New build coming tomorrow with a test track and AI for all tracks/cars (I think?) Test track looks pretty awesome.

testtrack05.jpg

Also not sure if it's been posted yet but http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/four-motorsport-vision-tracks-coming-to-c-a-r-s/

4 British tracks getting laser scanned for the game.

Brands Hatch
Oulton Park
Snetterton
Cadwell Park

Should be good!

Caporegime
Haters gonna hate.... Its not that expensive and its very good, graphics are superb to.

I only unsubbed iRacing about a month ago due to f1 coming out and taking up any racing time i have, the graphics are not superb, they aren't **** either but they arent' that good at all.

Subscription for a game where you have to pay for the cars and tracks on top of it is also quite expensive.

Back
Top Bottom