Noonb - DIY Water Kid/MSI SeaHawk GTX1080/ Li-an Li V359

Associate
Hi Guys,

My first foray into possible watercooling.

I am looking at purchasing the GTX 1080 MSI Seahawk EK.

I will need to purchase a DIY waterkit to go with this. The maximum radiator space i have is 240mm.

Another issue is, looking at my case i cant workout where the reservoir would sit, any ideas?

Case: V359-WRX

So
1) Need a good suggestion for a compatible DIY Water Kit
2) Where would it mount in my case?

Thank you!

Soldato
Well having googled it, seems its a Mini ITX case so space is tight. For the single unit to be cooled I would probably just buy the parts as individual items but you'll need to measure some spaces first because:

1. I don't think you can fit a bay res in your slimline 5.25" bay - correct? If not one of these with integrated pump is ideal. Like this:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-ddc-single-bay-reservoir-pump-combo-wc-320-xs.html

2. Failing that a small pump and res might fit - these have just come back in and you should be able to find space beneath for it:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-d5-tank-reservoir-v3-wc-396-xs.html

Bottom line, all you need is one of those, a few fittings and hose then just get yourself a 240mm radiator and you're good to go. You might need to drill a few hols in the base of your case to mount it if you can't find anywhere ideal.

Associate
OP
Well having googled it, seems its a Mini ITX case so space is tight. For the single unit to be cooled I would probably just buy the parts as individual items but you'll need to measure some spaces first because:

1. I don't think you can fit a bay res in your slimline 5.25" bay - correct? If not one of these with integrated pump is ideal. Like this:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-ddc-single-bay-reservoir-pump-combo-wc-320-xs.html

2. Failing that a small pump and res might fit - these have just come back in and you should be able to find space beneath for it:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-d5-tank-reservoir-v3-wc-396-xs.html

Bottom line, all you need is one of those, a few fittings and hose then just get yourself a 240mm radiator and you're good to go. You might need to drill a few hols in the base of your case to mount it if you can't find anywhere ideal.

Thank you so much for your reply.

1. Correct, the drive bay is slimline, around half an inch so no go there.

I have actually removed the drive bay next to the PSU in the under-half of the case, which gives some good clearance so perhaps i could fit this resivoir you mention here, that would be ideal.

So, D5 tank, D5 resi, 240mm Rad, tubing/hose, fittings and coolant. check

Soldato
Correct, if you want to minimise the manual tubing then get a pump res combo unit and you will literally just need to plump in one radiator and the card.

Associate
OP
Hey. Can you please tell me if all this is compatible. A few reason to justify my selections (please correct if anything is wrong)

1. Judging by the card/ek block, i wont have space for a full length 240mm rad for this (im only cooling the GPU anyway for now) so gone with a 120mm rad, ok?
2. I want to mount the pump/resevoir to this rad with the basket attachment
3. Is the tubing the correct diameters for the fittings?
4. Please let me know if the benefits i will get from this setup will outperform cooling wise an AIO GTX 1080.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £830.54
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Thank you

Soldato
The compression fittings are the wrong size.

You need 10/13mm fittings.

Never used a AIO cooled GPU before, but would expect a custom loop to be better.

Associate
If I were you, I'd either buy a bigger case and so give yourself space for a 360mm rad and cool your CPU as well, or just go for something like the EVGA Hybrid.

You're spending around £150 more than a Hybrid 1080 for what is a lot more hassle, and won't make a huge difference as GPU's run so cool under most watercooling and unless you're really pushing overclocks it's not going to be worth it IMO.

Back
Top Bottom