Has anybody had any problems with Mayhems X1?

Man of Honour
***Edit*** I am a idiot!! It's Mayhems X1 that I have not XT1. I only discovered that when digging out the 5ltr container while replying to the support ticket!!

Hi all, I have a problem that keeps happening over and over again and it's only since I started using Mayhem's X1 pre-mix. Basically my blocks keep clogging with a blueish gunk. It started just over a year ago. I took the opportunity to change my fluid as I was swapping my cpu block. I thought I would give everything a thorough clean so bought the Mayhem's Blitz Pro kit and a 5 litre drum of clear XT1 pre-mix direct from Mayhems. After following the instructions I gave everything a good few flushes and then stripped the blocks down to clean between the fins. Once done all the tubing was replaced with PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 7/16" clear tubing and the system refilled with X1.

A couple of weeks later I noticed a build up of gunk on the cpu block (clear plexi top) so I drained it all down again, stripped the blocks and cleaned them, flushed the loop a couple of times, flushed both rads with a vinegar/warm distilled water mix a few times before flushing with distilled water and reassembling the loop.

All was fine for a couple of months when the same thing happened. This time I bought another Blitz Pro kit, cleaned the loop, replaced the Primochill tubing with more of the same and refilled the loop with X1.

All was good for a few more months but the same thing happened yet again. Everything stripped down yet again and cleaned, rads flushed with vinegar mix again and then flushed with distilled water and loop refilled with X1 again.

Not even 4 weeks on and my cpu block is full of gunk again!! I am sick and fed up with this happening and not only is it time consuming but it's also getting expensive. This has only happened since using Mayhems XT1. It does have a blueish tinge to it and before that I was going for up to 2.5 years with no problems with de-ionised water and Primochill Liquid Utopia. Unfortunately you can't get Liquid Utopia any longer which is why I switched to XT1 in the first place. This weekend I will have to strip everything down yet again and when I refill I shall be going back to deionised water. I just need to find a additive to go in it that is as good as Liquid Utopia was.

Has anybody else had similar issues with X1?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the same problem, but my residue is kinda green... I was going to make a thread about that as well.

when I built my loops I used a concentrate XT1 clear with 4L of DI water, since I don't use clear tubes I could only see the cooling liquid on my reservoirs and it was clear, but after 8 months when I replaced my GPUs I found the walls of my tubes and on the GPU blocks some green residue.

I spoke to Michael Wood from Mayhems, sent him some photos and he said it was Flux from the radiators and Mayhems Blitz was created to fix this. (even that before assembling my loops for the first time I cleaned, washed and rinsed all the parts)

So I bought the Mayhems blitz pro kit, cleaned everything again, got 4L of DI water, but this time I used 2 bottles of XT1 concentrate.

Problems got worst, just 3 months after cleaning, I can see a lot of the same green residue but now I can clearly see it my reservoirs and gpu blocks.

This photos are before replacing the GPUs with the loops running for 8 months:
S1zrJ6B.jpg.png
npD5Z4M.jpg.png
4AB6mNN.jpg.png

I will take photos later showing the residue on the reservoirs now, just after 3 months of using the blitz kit.

I use 2 separate loops for gpus and cpu.

Man of Honour
OP
That's kind of like mine but mines more blueish. It can't be flux from the rads in my case, not after all this time and the several dozen thorough flushes they have had, including twice with parts 1 & 2 Mayhem's blitz kits. My tubes are clear and it's just building up on the fins of the blocks.

Soldato
I'm not sure it was flux, because after I cleaned everything but now I used twice as much XT1, took only 3 months to built more residue than before.
I cleaned the tubes on my GPU loop and replaced the ones on my CPU loop, made no difference, both loops got the residue.

Soldato
Probably if you leave longer it will start to build residue on the tubes, mine started on the blocks, then on the tube, now on the reservoir and the cooling liquid is not clear like before it is slightly cloudy.

Man of Honour
OP
Every time it has happened my coolant and tubing has remained clear. The build up is only on the fins in the blocks. Could the block design be doing something to the fluid? I have heard of blocks basically straining the fluid and leaving gunk on the fins before (Feser One was the worst for that). All I know is that it never happened when I was using deionised water and Liquid Utopia.

Man of Honour
OP
I have just ordered yet another Blitz Pro cleaning kit to give it one last chance at cleaning the rads out. I will not be buying anymore though as I have spent over £75 on this stuff over the past year or so. Unfortunately there isn't anything else like it on the market so there's no other choice.

Soldato
I used to use premixed and even tried additives, but with pretty much anything I would get problems within 12 months. After reading how many people on some of the US sites use straight DI water, I tried it and haven't had a single problem since, no leaching from any of various tubing, no gunk, nothing. I just replace with clean water whenever I make a change which is typically within 2 years.

Man of Honour
OP
I had thought of doing that but really want some sort of biocide/corrosion inhibiter to mix with it as well. I really miss Liquid Utopia for that as I had a loop running for 2.5 years with that and deionised water and had no problems at all.

Associate
Mayhems XT1 and Primochill advanced lrt are not compatible!

Read the 4th December update on this review: http://www.xtremerigs.net/2016/02/05/extreme-rigs-soft-tubing-test/5/

Pretty sure the PrimoChill website also tells you not to use certain coolants / additives, hence I immediately drained my brand spanking new system, cleaned the lot and reinstalled with new tubing & water + biocide instead, which was fun :mad: Using soft tubing you'll always be better off sticking with water + biocide, if what I've been told over the last couple of months is true :D

Man of Honour
OP
So why the hell isn't there a disclaimer on any of the shops that sells Primochill LRT in their descriptions? It's tubing for crying out loud. I shouldn't need to go hunting reviews or looking up manufacturers websites to find disclaimers. I saw everyone recommending it on here and changed to it. So I need to spend even more bloody money and replace the tubing yet again (not cheap when you have 5-6 meters of it in your loop). All things aside that review said that no plasticiser leached from the Primochill LRT and mine is still crystal clear so do I change it or not?

This day has got crappier and crappier as it goes on!!

Associate
I've never tested it mate as I drained mine on the advice of others on here, but all I'll say is I was originally going to use different tubing, was told that one was crap and leached bad so use PrimoChill instead, which I did. After then filling the loop with Pastel Ice White coolant I got told (on a different forum I think) not to use proper coolant with PrimoChill but to use DI water instead, otherwise it would leach as well. So back to work it was... All in all the whole tubing / coolant thing seems to be a complete shambles atm, with problems flying around all over the place and different people telling you completely different things! Hope you get it sorted anyway as it sounds like a seriously annoying, not to mention expensive, problem :(

Soldato
Well he might be using primochill, but I'm not.

It is really frustrating that I bought the blitz kit took my loop apart to clean, removed everything, cleaned everything as per instructions, I even used DI water to rinse and wash, didn't use any other kind of water to contaminate the system, 2x XT1 concentrates for 4L of DI water as coolant and got the same problem as before, but now it is worst.

So now I have to take it apart again, clean again and I don't know what I will do to prevent it happening again.

Last edited:
Associate
Personally I'd clean it all out with DI water again and then refill using DI water but with biocide instead of XT1 concentrate. Only got to add a drop of biocide every few months and jobs a good'un... Hopefully!

Man of Honour
OP
Well he might be using primochill, but I'm not.

It is really frustrating that I bought the blitz kit took my loop apart to clean, removed everything, cleaned everything as per instructions, I even used DI water to rinse and wash, didn't use any other kind of water to contaminate the system, 2x XT1 concentrates for 4L of DI water as coolant and got the same problem as before, but now it is worst.

So now I have to take it apart again, clean again and I don't know what I will do to prevent it happening again.

I feel your pain apart from mine's worse as this is the 4th time in just over a year for me. Really sick and fed up with this now. It's £30 every time I replace the Primochill tubing, not to mention the coolant, Mayhem's Blitz and the hours it takes to strip everything down, clean it and put it all back together again. None of this would have happened to me if Primochill still sold Liquid Utopia over here.

Personally I'd clean it all out with DI water again and then refill using DI water but with biocide instead of XT1 concentrate. Only got to add a drop of biocide every few months and jobs a good'un... Hopefully!

I would love to be able to do that but I want a corrosion inhibiter as well and the only ones I can find have Ethylene Glycol in them. I have copper, brass and nickel in my loop so I need something.

I am thinking of trying Mayhems tubing but will 16/10mm tubing be ok on 16/11mm (7/16") compression fittings?

Associate
16/10 tubing on 16/11 fittings should be fine as the outer diameter is the same, so the outer part is exactly the same diameter and the compression fitting will be exactly the same size. Only difference is the tube will be a tighter fit over the barb, which is no bad thing anyway.

Back
Top Bottom