AIO's Why they should only be considered a short term product.

Associate
Sealed all in one coolers are one of the biggest sellers in the PC cooling industry however they have a massive downside and that is there life span. This were custom cooling or OAIO’s (open all in one) is much better and simply put, over a long period of time works out cheaper if done correctly.

The main reason for SAIO’s (sealed all in one) coolers to fail is there usage of glycols in there coolants, these glycols are present in high ratios (% of glycol to water / carrier fluid) making them less thermally efficient but also they cause a secondary issue. The second issue is that glycols when heated up over a period of time becomes thicker and this in turn wreaks havoc on their small internal pumps. Eventually these pumps fail not because of usage but because they simply cannot handle the viscosity of glycols when they thicken up. When using a custom cooling loop or an OAIO you can easily and frequently replace there coolants and refresh the system negating this issue of glycols getting thicker.

Reviewers of AIO’s never look for the long term effects of such systems and never inform uneducated users of such issues. Like an old saying measure twice cut once, well "think twice buy once!"

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I've had an AIO running in a system for over 2 years and temps are as good as they were the day I installed it. I also don't see many people on here (or anywhere really) complaining about an AIO after long term use. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I just don't encounter that very often, when what you say would suggest we should have an epidemic of furious AIO users reading the riot act all over the web.

Most people who buy AIOs have no interest in maintaining a custom loop set-up, never-mind installing one in the first place. Whatever anyone says, it's significantly more complex (and expensive) going that route vs the simplicity of an AIO. I also can't avoid the obvious "well you would say that" being a Mayhems rep lol. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Actually being a IT Technician (grass routes), Chemical engineer and some one who has a very keen interest in thermodynamics and dealing with normal customers as well we have seen an awful lot of failed SAIO's come though the door and every single one failed for the reason above. This weekend i saw two with in hours hence the post above.

You may also consider the fact we sell fluids (oem) to some AIO manufacturers. You are not reading an uninformed or ill informed post, your reading factual information.

P.s Im no rep i own Mayhems.

Last edited:
Caporegime
But something to bear in mind that you might need to replace your AIO every couple of years so worth mentioning. My d5 pump must be 10 years old now and still going strong (although I did lose the second one a few weeks ago but I bought that second hand so don't know it's full history)

Associate
I'm still not sure how you worked out that its cheaper over a long period of time.

For instance, i used to have a NZXT Kraken X31. It has a 6 year warranty and cost me around £60. Even considering replacing it twice in a 6 year period without claiming the warranty, thats only a cost of around £120 over those 6 years.

Now compare this to a custom loop. OCUK sells a 120mm starter kit for £110. I cant find info on the parts warranty, but the waterblock as a 2 year limited warranty from the manafacturer. Replacing the waterblock in this would cost anywhere from £30-£60 a pop, same with the pump and res combo, etc. Additionally, there is the added risk of not doing something correctly and messing up the system through leaks etc. If that happens, then i guess you're out of luck since it was your own fault.

Usually AOI cooler companies will replace your parts if their products are responsible for the damage.

I'm not meaning to put down custom watercooling, but i'm struggling to see how its cheaper over the long run. It requires a higher initial outlay, more knowledge and effort to get it started, can require a lot of maintenance, higher risks if something goes wrong etc.

FWIW, i sold my X31 and replaced with with a 360mm AiO direct from Asetek, and havent tried full water cooling. The reasons for why i havent tried it are listed above.

Soldato
As above, I don't think the cost argument is remotely arguable. Nevermind the initial outlay cost, chances are that if you have a leak in your custom loop that ruins your components if will be user error, and proving otherwise would be a headache (although certainly not impossible if something has indeed gone faulty), whereas with an AIO this is not really an issue and as mentioned you will be covered under an often much longer warranty. Of course, if you're remotely worried about things going wrong, just get an air cooler lol! The high end ones perform just as well as most AIOs anyway.

My reasons for not going custom are exactly as Katina... cost, maintenance and risk.

Soldato
My original Antec Kuhler 620 I've had many years is still going strong, was in 24/7 use in my PC and now on another PC that gets a lot of use and temps are still really good. No reason to buy another yet.

Man of Honour
I've only really encountered that kind of issue where I've say used a sealed AIO for a few months then left it sitting unused for a couple of years then tried to use it again (the block probably isn't in a great state either without being able to easily flush it) - the ones I've had in frequent use haven't really had any problems like that over what I'd consider reasonable lifespan for the device.

Associate
Actually being a IT Technician (grass routes), Chemical engineer and some one who has a very keen interest in thermodynamics and dealing with normal customers as well we have seen an awful lot of failed SAIO's come though the door and every single one failed for the reason above. This weekend i saw two with in hours hence the post above.

You may also consider the fact we sell fluids (oem) to some AIO manufacturers. You are not reading an uninformed or ill informed post, your reading factual information.

P.s Im no rep i own Mayhems.

Why do you have a lot of failed units, do you sell them ?

And according to you, your selling coolent ( Fancy name for tapwater )
to fill AIO'S that you are telling people not to buy.

The fact that your are representing Mayhems in the forum makes you a errrr Rep :)

Soldato
Thanks for the sales pitch but my refurbished H80 has been working fine for 3 years and is now cooling a 4.6GHz pentium with fantastic results. It cost a measly £40, so definitely good value.

Soldato
AIO's are a gateway drug to the real thing. Most are soft core users with flexible tubing and then a smaller number of real junkies mainlining acrylic and glass.

Of course Mick has a financial interest, as do overclockers in paying for the forums. I'm very happy to take free advice from someone who makes a living from water cooling.

Also look at the number of threads he's contributed to over the years where people have had problems with loops (generally of their own making). Its all advice freely given and often free blitz kits sent out.

Yes, you can argue its all PR for the brand, but he'd be a idiot if he wasn't doing something.

For reference I have an AIO on the CPU and a "real loop" for the GPU. Once the AIO dies or noticeably degrades, its gone and I'll put the CPU in the loop.

Soldato
Guys hes trying to give you his honest opinon from things he has seen no need to be rude to the guy, he and his company helped a lot of people out sorting problems and issues when had not needed too but they are nice people. As my mum used to say if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all.

Soldato
Why do you have a lot of failed units, do you sell them ?

And according to you, your selling coolent ( Fancy name for tapwater )
to fill AIO'S that you are telling people not to buy.

The fact that your are representing Mayhems in the forum makes you a errrr Rep :)

If you really believe that, go drink some and let us know how it goes.

Associate
This is crazy he didn't need come on and and certainly didn't need to reply to you guys. He is giving his professional opinion. no-one is going say AIO isn't cheaper but it certainly doesn't look as good or as expandable and those are the advantages of custom loops.

Man of Honour
If you really believe that, go drink some and let us know how it goes.

Just in case - don't do this some (though generally not your more common PC stuff) coolants can be quite toxic.

EDIT: Anything with much in the way of glycols in it can really screw up your internal organs as well.

Back
Top Bottom