Clear o-rings

Soldato
Anyone know of a good source of these? I'm after clear O-rings to go on a G1/4 fitting. Needs to be 12mm (or just over) ID. I can find an ebay source but I refuse - on principal - to pay £2 each!

Associate
There's clear silicone o-rings used for body mods (ear stretching) that you can get in all different sizes for about 15p each. Not sure if they'd work but can't see a reason why they wouldn't so long as they fit.

Edit: Added a LINK as they're not exactly competitors to OcUK.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hadn't got anywhere with the rainforest or the bay. Mainly either the right size but in black or right colour in wrong size.

I'd seen jewellery applications before but an actual UK-based shop might be able to correctly answer whether the measurement is ID or OD. Shipping could be an issue - I'm hoping it's not 99p per o-ring! Worth an ask though.

Barnwells o-ring catalogue was quite helpful - thanks for that. Stuff like a 5% stretch being acceptable. Conveniently, this means a 12mm ID ring is exactly the right tolerance for a G1/4 thread (over the thread, not in the undercut some fittings have). Also, worth a ring to see if they do the silicone rings but other similar places only had red or black.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll hit the phone and see what they say.

Soldato
OP
Barnwells only had red silicon on their books. They said they'd ask their suppliers and come back to me....but I've heard nothing since. For a small quantity, I can't say I'm surprised.

Asked at Stretch It Body Jewellery and 12mm is the ID and 99p is the total shipping so I'm taking a punt on 10. Wondered why they hadn't turned up yet....and then found no confirmation and the items still in my basket on their site. No doubt something distracted me. Bought now. Will let you know how well they work when they turn up. Thanks all :D

Soldato
OP
12mm ID O-rings turned up. What do you think the ID measures? No prizes for guessing that it's something other than 12mm! These 12mm ID rings have an ID of 10.5mm. This is an improvement on the 8mm of the last set.

On the plus side, once stretched over the thread, the OD is about right and they don't seem to be squishing out as much as I suspect a 'correctly' sized o-ring would. Will need to leak test them but I think I might have accidentally got a size that works!

Associate
Always good when an error turns into a positive! If not, guessing the 14mm ones they sell are probably 12mm then if they're as far out on all of their sizes...

Soldato
OP
Apparently their 12mm is measured when stretched. Probably helpful if you want them for actual body piercings :D Have asked about the 14mm sizing just in case they leak - if I have all the information, nobody will care, but if I don't people will want to know.
When I rang them originally, he said it was odd, that someone had just rung asking the same thing about 12mm clear O-rings. Unless that was you checking whether they were right, sounds like I'm not the only one on this track!

Associate
Haha definitely not me but bet it was someone lurking on here, or even better an OcUK staff member thinking about stocking them! I did find it rather odd that so many places stock different coloured o-rings but nobody did clear ones, although saying that until you mentioned it I'd never even thought about using them...

Soldato
OP
Mostly you don't see the o-ring. It's only because I want to use it on an acrylic to acrylic connection that the ring is visible and the black looks bad:

Much better, don't you think?

Associate
Miles better! Never seen a build done like this before so intrigued to see what the loop looks like when complete. Certainly looking promising from the teaser shot though :)

Soldato
OP
Ironically, I've killed off most of the tubing by (hopefully) integrating everything into the acrylic manifold. I'm determined to have a nice vertical riser though from that to the graphics card and I think I'll use this joint from the manifold to the riser. Would have to be a fitting on the card though unless I want to try spinning the graphics card onto the end of the pipe before slotting it into the PCI-E slot :eek:
Might got back to 12/10 from GPU to CPU and CPU up and over mobo tray. After that it's unseen soft tubing. Will have to see how it looks and how bendable 16/12 is.

Back
Top Bottom