According to my convo with XSPC, Mayhems Pastel coolant "killed the pump" - Opinions?

Associate
It looks like the garbage that you get when you flush rads out from new. Even if you've thoroughly flushed them before installing the rads, there could have been a stubborn lump that didn't come out until recently.

Associate
Watercooling Components…
Pump: XSPC Twin X2O 420 Single Bayres/Pump
Tubing: XSPC HighFlex Hose 716" ID, 58" OD, 15.911.1mm, 2m, ClearUV
Coolant: Mayhems Pastel - Orange Coolant 1L (Used about 0.9L)
CPU Block: It was from an “OcUK Tech Lab - V6 Watercooling Kit 120” in 2013 – XSPC Raystorm CPU WaterBlock (AMD) It looks like your current V3 although it says “in” on the block instead of the “^”.
Radiator 1: XSPC EX360 120mm Radiator - Black
Radiator 2: Also from the “OcUK Tech Lab - V6 Watercooling Kit 120” in 2013 – I believe it’s the MagiCool Copper Radiator 140

It looks like the OP's got an XSPC rad and a Magicool rad. Are either of these rad brands known for containing copious quantities of junk that has to be flushed?

Associate
I can confirm the Magicool rads do contain a tone of junk, however out of all the xspc rads we have tested over long periods of time have never had any issues.

This is why you must all ways clean you rads as best as you can new or second hand.

Caporegime
It looks like the OP's got an XSPC rad and a Magicool rad. Are either of these rad brands known for containing copious quantities of junk that has to be flushed?

I have seen brand new rads come which are awful and totally full of gunk which have required several flush outs to get rid of all together.

At least mayhems rads come with a cleaning cert and bottles of radiator flush.

All rad manufacturers should do that.

Associate
OP
I remember spending ages cleaning the Magicool Rad in particular when it was new. I also recall the XSPC was much much better (cant remember if anything came out at all, maybe not). The Magicool rad was from 2013 and the whole system has been flushed maybe 4 or 5 times previous to this current clean, so its really worrying knowing that bits are still flaking off! My gut instinct is to blame the Magicool rad, the XSPC rad however feels so smooth and perfect, great clean matt finish.

Regardless back to the OP - what do we think caused the pump to stop working and require a thorough clean / WD-40 lubing. Once I got the pumps going again I could see their power and studyness first hand and find it hard to believe the spec of junk caused the issue (although it was found just after the exhaust when they stopped working).

So the suspects:

- Spec of radiator junk
- Confliction with Mayhems Pastel (Maybe orange in particular?)
- Could it be the fact the pumps were at a different angle to usual? (the drive bay is vertical in this case so the pumps were at the bottom of the bay/res instead of to the side - I figured this should not matter as the intake is at the bottom with the separated air at the top (acutally further away from the pumps than standard / flat).
- Heat? I use speedfan all the time - max heat I see is 55 degrees.
- Could a poor clean previously upset the pumps somehow? A small amount of water may have been left in the loop.
- Faulty pump which was destined to stop working.
- Gremlins.

Associate
OP
Also, had an update from Paul at XSPC:

Hi Alex,
That's great to hear.

I think the piece of metal has likely come from a radiator, but it's hard to say for sure.

I only asked about the fans to see if you had used fans at all. The other customer with this issue had a high coolant temperature, so I wanted to rule that out.

I noticed in the photos you sent that the brass screw threads have pulled out when you removed the pump. You will have to tap these back in before you reassemble the pump, or it will leak.

Regards, Paul
XSPC

Associate
The Pumps arrived today from paul over at XSPC (thank you Paul), we will commence testing Monday but it will take at least 2 weeks of testing before we get full results back and can comment if pastel is at fault.

thank you for your patience.

Mick

Associate
OP
Hi Mick, any update with the XSPC pumps yet?

Many thanks!

In the mean time my pumps are making a terrible sound, they have not been right since ive reinstalled them. My guess is the metal disks are coming into contact with the black 'fans' which is in turn vibrating the whole thing. Its pretty unbarable, and louder than normal talking volume (goes to show how powerful they are). In all honesty im going to be replacing the pump as I can't be had with spending hours trying to 'fix' them again. :( For reference you can see them in the image below, (the disks are not fixed at all so can spin freely and contact the spinning 'fan' elements).

Pumps working perfectly after WD-40 :eek: :
e1dbf941a7c3ffc4b7bd2b0acdf33019.jpg

Associate
I know its an old topic but... i need your help.
I've just bought an XSPC D5 Photon 270 v2 pump and i would like to have some coloured coolant but.. i dont know what coolant its ok to use from Mayhems. Almost everybody praise the Mayhems coolants and i would like to go with them but... which coloured products from Mayhem are ok with my pump/res?
Cheers!

Permabanned
I'd never use any of that mayhems crap. Been water cooling for around 10 years and all I use is distilled with pt nuke and a silver coil. I've even used tap water in the past for 2 years and all I seen was a bit of green algae on the cpu block when taken apart. A lot of water cooling stuff is not actually needed and is just there to make money.

Back
Top Bottom