EK 1080 Waterblock + Founder's Backplate

Soldato
EK's website explicitly states that these are not compatible together.

sg2MW3r.png

However the hex screws that hold the founders cooler to the card and subsequently the backplate too are a perfect fit on the EK block.

1wqfIj6h.jpg

And therefore you can install the founder's backplate onto the EK block.

cWLgbdph.jpg

The only difference is that there are a couple of screws missing.

Which makes me wonder why EK state they are not compatible?

To give EK the benefit of the doubt they may not have known that the backplate would be compatible as I know they struggled to get a physical card to design their blocks around.

However the tinfoil hat wearer might think that if they admitted that they were compatible, then that would destroy sales of their own backplates.

Hopefully this will save someone a few quid in the future or just provide some general info.

Caporegime
Yeah same with other previous cards, EK say not comptabile but if your use the Nvidia screws then the original plate fits.

No idea why EK keep saying this, I can only presume its to increase their sales of back plates.

Although their backplates are aluminum and come with pads to dissipate the heat away from the back of the cards.

Associate
Thanks for this. The original backplate looks better than the EK one in my opinion. Just wish I hadn't spent the extra money on the EK backplate...

Caporegime
I know the instructions say it doesnt matter which is in or out for the loop but thought it did now with the new blocks?

It looks to me because of the fins over the gpu area and that you have one thin bit from the left hand part which then passes over two sets of fins into two thin areas its always better to have the water moving from a smaller place into a larger area?

Thats the only reason current cpu blocks have in and out (well thats exactly what my current block says and the reason why and its the same layout as the 1080 waterblock.

Associate
I had no idea about this, I just assumed it would not work as per the instructions.

I went with the nickel backplate this time for the bling, but this is good to know for future reference.

Soldato
OP
Previous EK blocks have had very different thread sizes to stock coolers so backplates and coolers haven't been compatible. I discovered that when trying to install an EK backplate onto my reference 780 before I had all the parts for my loop.

The current 1080 backplate has some cooling pads for dissipation of heat from the back of the core.

The new blocks do look like they have a specific flow direction despite what the instructions say. But EK said that the backplate wasn't compatible so they could be wrong again.

It's likely I will pick up a backplate cause I want to paint it white and I doubt PNY or EVGA would accept an RMA with a painted backplate

Man of Honour
It would appear that EK put that to increase sales of their own backplates. You have gone and proved that it does work. I am using the backplate from my Inno3D x3 with my Aquacomputer block with no problems.

Flow direction does matter on the newer blocks with built in jetplates. If the flow was reversed then the jetplates wouldn't work. Gpu blocks have similar internals to cpu blocks now (and about time too). It was different with the previous blocks that just had the liquid flow around the block. You could have the inlet/outlet wherever you wanted.

Caporegime
Yet Ek instructions say either way? lol Am i correct in saying the one on the left (nearest the back of the case where the card screws in) should be the in (if you are looking at the block on the card)?

Well i have put my block on and I appear to have about 20 assorted screws of various lengths left and some nuts.

Any ideas?

Man of Honour
Yes, left hand side is in, same as my Aquacomputer block. If you look on the product page for your block and click on the picture to make it bigger you can see that the flow goes down the left hand side of the block, through the injection plate onto the fins, around the vrm's and out the right hand side.

If you look at one of the old blocks you can clearly see that flow direction didn't matter because the coolant only went around the block and through the fins on the core. Now that gpu blocks have caught up with cpu blocks flow direction matters. I can only guess that EK hasn't updated their instructions.

I had to rearrange my loop order to get the flow right as my previous block had the inlet on the right so flow used to go from the cpu to the gpu. Now I have this new block because the inlet is on the left I have had to go gpu first then the cpu.

Associate
Hi guys!

About the backplate I admit i'm a bit surprised to see it fit so easily and I will definitely ask why they said it was not compatible.

About the IN/OUT question on our GPU blocks. Shortly, we didn't forgot to update our instructions... ;)

The "optimal" way is to use the left port as inlet and outlet on the right. This way the coolant will go through the micro-channels (concentrated by the jet plate) and make it's way out.

But the other way around still work too. In fact, when you're connecting your GPU's with one of our Serial bridge or if you go serial with normal tubing, you will necessarily (except when using a triple serial bridge with a blank in the middle) have one of your cards that will be feed by the right side port.

The biggest difference, that explain why it's still possible to do it with a GPU block and not with a CPU block, is that the micro-channels spacing on the CPU block is way more smaller than the ones on the GPU block. Making the flow restriction so much higher. Also the jet plate opening is very small on the CPU block compared to the one used on the GPU blocks.

I see a lot of haters here so I hope this tiny explanation will help and I will also ask about that backplate and let you know what they said.

Caporegime
Thanks for the answers EK luc. The haters are because of things like the original plate not being compatible when clearly it is and the instructions being rubbish.

On my titan x instructions it misses 4 screws on the pictures which need to be undone to get the block off and I have approximately 20 screws surplus of various different lengths and sizes and 4 nuts.

There is no mention in the instructions as to what I am meant to do with these?

As for the jet plate, thats a good explanation, thank you. With us all being used to cpu blocks where its drummed into us that it makes a difference, it was concerning to see just a small mention in the instructions that you can use either side with NO difference in performance.

I suspect even on the gpu blocks that it will make a difference, albeit small perhaps so would be better to suggest to people that the left be used as first preference but okay to use the right if you want/have to.

Back
Top Bottom