putting x2 980ti's under water

Associate
hi all,

i'm looking for a relatively easy way of putting my two 980ti's under water. I found the following solution:

predator aio - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...rcooling-solution-revision-1.1-wc-873-ek.html

2 of these predator gpu units - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...-ti-acetal-predator-pre-filled-wc-989-ek.html

Terminal Block - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...al-dual-parallel-1-slot-acetal-wc-9bf-ek.html

this solution would mean i'd need to remove & sell my current cpu aio (H100i) but I like the idea of having it all in one system so to speak, with components that are easily replaced if need be.

is this a good idea? would you do anything differently?

Man of Honour
I would want a 360mm rad for a pair of gpu's, more if doing the cpu as well. Usually we recommend 120mm of rad space per component to be cooled plus a extra 120mm for headroom. So 360mm of rad space for a pair of gpus or 480mm of rad space for a pair of gpu's plus the cpu.

Associate
OP
thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention that my case is a corsair air 240, meaning the predator 360 won't fit.

I'd like to keep my rig in this case if possible - so the predator 240 won't work with this setup?

would I be better off going for a custom loop?

Associate
OP
or are there kits available for my gpus that I can install seperately? i've tried looking for the evga hybrid kits but they're all sold out

Gangster
OcUK Staff
Yeah I wouldn't recommend the predator 240 for Sli. Maybe consider looking at doing a full loop as I believe you can do a 240mm in the front and a 240mm in the top on the corsair 240 this will probably be enough to do it and the CPU at a push. This will mean getting a few more parts but can you design it any way you want.

The other option is an EK 240 for one card in the top and an ek 240 in the front for the other.

I'm just not to sure on the depth at the top of the case for a radiator and fans.

Associate
OP
i'm not sure if it's worth doing this, the cost is going to be 200+quid which would be better off putting towards an upgrade at some point in the future

Associate
Well custom watercooling isn't cheap, but once you've spent the initial outlay its all re-usable so lasts for years.

AIO are great fro ease of use etc, but not usually a touch on the performance you can get with custom.

E-I

Associate
What are you doing with the gpu? Y out will be able to push them more than you can on air maybe with a bit less noise if using just a 240.

I have 480 rad space and only 360 fan'd up. 1 thin rad and 1 medium rad. With a poor airflow case. So I'd say in my layout I have 300 rad space equivalent and I get less than 60c always.

Soldato
i'm not sure if it's worth doing this, the cost is going to be 200+quid which would be better off putting towards an upgrade at some point in the future

£200 is not enough to WC 2 graphic cards and a CPU. that will cover 2 blocks and some tubing only. No pumps rads etc.

If you had space for the Predator 360, you could buy 2 pre-filled waterblocks and you are done. No need to mess around with tubing, draining, leaks.

And at around £420 total and possibly as low as watercooling might cost you.

Associate
Honestly if your going to go to all that effort i'd go custom loop.

I know those AIO are slightly easier but.... just not worth it in the long term?

Your looking at about £300 for what you suggest. and with a single 240 which I wouldnt do with sli personally.

Your basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £308.03
(includes shipping: £11.10)

ok this would cost you more but effort to price to in the case of most parts future use just make more sense in my head.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £485.04
(includes shipping: £10.50)

fork out another like £30 for bits to allow conveniant draining of your loop and another say £85 for a proper watercooling case like the Define S for example and your basically set for a long time to come. More cost and/or patience to save, perhaps but I think worth it in the long term

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty sure this is too much money compared to what you thought mate, the blocks for the GPUs alone are going to run to almost £200 so you can see why the cost will soon mount...

Soldato
Dont forget water loops can last through many pc upgrades so dont think of it as costing £500 for watercooling one PC its effectively your next few PCs, you'll lose half the value of your GPU blocks when you sell them if you change the GPU every year, but its worth it if you wanna water cool.

Associate
OP - presume you are running a 2K monitor? I just went sli underwater with x2 980ti's but to be honest I was already getting decent fps on near max settings on 2k monitor with one 980ti. imo, full custom loop is the way to go for that sort of set up, but it can really add up. blocks, tubing, sli bridge, rads, pump, fittings, fans - the whole thing needs to be planned out first but is worth it when you see 40-45 degrees under load with a quiet humming pc.

Associate
OP - presume you are running a 2K monitor? I just went sli underwater with x2 980ti's but to be honest I was already getting decent fps on near max settings on 2k monitor with one 980ti. imo, full custom loop is the way to go for that sort of set up, but it can really add up. blocks, tubing, sli bridge, rads, pump, fittings, fans - the whole thing needs to be planned out first but is worth it when you see 40-45 degrees under load with a quiet humming pc.

yeah im 1440p with a single 980 and it drives it fine on 90% of things :)

Back
Top Bottom