The Long Dark - Survival Simulator **No zombies!**

Man of Honour
Yeah even for £11 it's not worth it. And unfortunately the development which is in the game suggests a path that this will be a casual game. Rather than a proper game.
Far less to do with survival and more to do with chance.
Think if it like a game like FTL.

There's no real survival in it and little you can do to enhance survival.

Associate
Well, it is a survival sim, so of course there is survival in it. But its too much a case of just going through the motions of forage/cook/repair. Not much else, apart from a bit of luck is needed. There are no random events or variations, other than loot spawns, but worst of all...no point in it, as you can not win or escape the zone, which is also very small. At least not at this stage of early access.
I still enjoyed playing it for a few hours though.

Soldato
Had a quick go last night and found a rifle but couldnt shoot anything! Is it really weak or are there compensations to make like bullet drop /distance?

Associate
Went back to the game after getting curious as to how many more updates it had got. Answer being; a lot!
- A new area "Pleasant Valley" has been added (accessible from both other areas but not selectable as a start area until you've "discovered" it).
- Bears have been added to the game...
- Foraging has been replaced with actual gathering of wood / sticks / branches / spruces for crafting/survival.
- New crafting items added to make from gathered resources including bow,arrows,boots,trousers,and a bedroll.
- various ui improvements, fire mechanic updated, and multiple status effects introduced including exposure/hypothermia!

Currently on my second playthrough post-update, first time I got killed by fluffy after he jumped me mid-searching through a locker and got my condition low enough to require rest except I forgot to pickup my bedroll from the last camp! This time, I went and killed that **** and feasted on his juicy wolf meat, revenge is sweet!

Associate
Bumping this thread up as the game is in the steam sale at the moment. For £5 it's a bargain. I've only played a few hours so far but this feels really polished, immersive and well made. I'd recommend this for anyone who enjoys survival type games.

Associate
Bumping this thread up as the game is in the steam sale at the moment. For £5 it's a bargain. I've only played a few hours so far but this feels really polished, immersive and well made. I'd recommend this for anyone who enjoys survival type games.

Just took a punt on it, for a fiver you've little to lose.

Soldato
Only played an hour or two but seems really interesting! I tried to shoot a deer with a bow and the arrow went about four yards. I think even the deer was embarrassed.

Associate
Story mode comes out soon too, August 1st.

First time played in a while, some changes not keen on & still can't jump, so any little 2" step you get stuck on, but still enjoying for the most part.
Found my first gun & a single bullet last night, just as a Wolf appeared. Damn those animals are fast!
Skinned it, cut the meat & intestines, walked towards a nearby car when another Wolf pelted towards me.

R.I.P. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom