*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
As a side note, just nailed my 5k LY run (outbound at least). Just picked a random direction, dropped a bookmark out in the distance and headed that way. Was a deliberate high speed run, so haven't looked in detail at any systems. Think I'll do that for the one I've just arrived in, such that I've got my name on it, then head back tomorrow. Learned how best to do these runs now, so should be back in probably 2 hours of flight time.

Can I just ask about these long distance runs.

Do you simply just plonk your bookmark. And just hyperdrive into and out of each system (fuel scooping on the way) ?
And that's pretty much it?

Soldato

Do you simply just plonk your bookmark. And just hyperdrive into and out of each system (fuel scooping on the way) ?

I'm a bit confused what this is all about too, so an explanation would be appreciated.

Soldato
One of the engineers (Palin) requires that you've travelled 5000 LY out in order to for him to do business with you. You can plot a route up to 1000 LY, so basically pick somewhere on the galaxy map, drop a bookmark then work out 5 stops along the way. As you run low on fuel, scoop some more up and then off you go to the next star and so on. If you take your time and scan each system properly you make more money but obviously this takes a long, long time.

Soldato
One of the engineers (Palin) requires that you've travelled 5000 LY out in order to for him to do business with you. You can plot a route up to 1000 LY, so basically pick somewhere on the galaxy map, drop a bookmark then work out 5 stops along the way. As you run low on fuel, scoop some more up and then off you go to the next star and so on. If you take your time and scan each system properly you make more money but obviously this takes a long, long time.

Oh! Well, as long as previous travels are included, then I'm guessing I already qualify for that :) - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-most-remote-system(s)-from-the-galactic-core

Man of Honour
Man of Honour

Yes and no. Let me explain:
- First up, you need a decent jump range. don't need weapons, some shields are useful (IMO). Ensure you have an advanced disco sensor (to avoid systems with John Travolta in them)
- Personally I just picked a random location part way around the galaxy, and not towards the middle, as I assumed everyone would normally do that
- You've limited to plotting a distance of 1000LY, so the best case scenario is a set of 5 to achieve this. To get around this, I dropped a bookmark at the final target destination, such that I could then target that direction with an intermediary point each time
- You can't scoop all stars, and I found myself going through sections where I was not stopping at scoopable in my normal route. What I found worked was to stop when I was at 25% remaining fuel, go into galaxy map and look for a star with any of the following letters: KGBFOAM. That ensured I never ran out
- Ensure you're ship as a cargo rack. When you've in the galaxy map plotting, REDUCE your absolute max jump range. So if you can potentially jump 40LY, reduce it to say 35. That will make your ship a good deal more economical
- Do take an AFMS and learn how to use it. Be aware that it cannot repair your hull, so be careful, maybe go with armoured hull or both

Hope that helps.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
BTW, just unlocked Palin. Very happy about that. Been planning how to do that for 3 weeks.

On unlocking him, had some mats around and made L2 straight away. Then sold my 3 million credits worth of exploration data (2 weeks worth), which bumped me straight to L4. Just gotta get the bits to finalise him now.

Happy bunny...

Soldato
Where is this game going exactly? At this rate they'll need their 10 year plan just to fix all the issues and annoyances. To be honest I think they are switching development focus to their planet coaster game. Can't be explained otherwise.

I still enjoy the occasional sight-seeing and bounty hunting though.

Soldato
I keep coming back and forth to the game, but it's certainly not keeping me hooked in any way unfortunately... :(

The "plans" that they have sound great, and I have no doubt they'll excute them in the best way possible, but it's going to take a lot longer... Season 2 hasn't excited me at all to be honest, and I sort of regret its purchase... If they don't sort it out before the end of this season, Star Citizen is going to overtake it!

Soldato
Yeah that's the problem people who bought the season 2 pass won't invest into season 3 if they don't deliver so the whole thing becomes unsustainable.

Soldato
Where is this game going exactly? At this rate they'll need their 10 year plan just to fix all the issues and annoyances. To be honest I think they are switching development focus to their planet coaster game. Can't be explained otherwise.

I keep coming back and forth to the game, but it's certainly not keeping me hooked in any way unfortunately... :(

The "plans" that they have sound great, and I have no doubt they'll excute them in the best way possible, but it's going to take a lot longer... Season 2 hasn't excited me at all to be honest, and I sort of regret its purchase... If they don't sort it out before the end of this season, Star Citizen is going to overtake it!

I think some very odd decisions are being made high up...

Ignoring the decision to create CQC, if we just consider the questionable ethos of say Powerplay and The Engineers, which seem to create some very overbloated mechanics to then just introduce a bunch of new RND-grind-time-sponges. The question is, who's giving this stuff the greenlight? Who is deciding this stuff is a better direction than actual progress into more involved and deeper gameplay/mechanics? eg: Who's giving Sando (for example) the nod to design this stuff to be coded?

Sandro obviously has a boss, and I'm guessing he then reports to DB... I would love to know how hands on DB is on those choices that have been taken! ie: Who is steering ED at the moment? Because I think they need to go to spec savers :)

Yeah that's the problem people who bought the season 2 pass won't invest into season 3 if they don't deliver so the whole thing becomes unsustainable.
There does seem to be a growing "myeh" with the game IMHO. The risk is if this continues to grow over the rest of the season, as you suggest, it could be a big issue.

Thing is, I suspect 2.4 is ear-marked as a nice marketing exercise to increase interest again, with the view of getting sales for season 2/3. So will be interesting to see if that's the case, how effective it is if season 2 has proved rather "flat" until then.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't agree at all and I have to wonder why you continually post your well known opinion in here, work for RSI or something? :p Plenty of people are happy with season two, myself included, would I like to see the stuff you posted about before? sure, but I'm more than happy with what we have at the moment.

As for Star Citizen overtaking Elite, meh, they're both space games with very different mechanics from what I can see, last time I played Star Citizen I hated it and I'm not alone.

Soldato
As for Star Citizen overtaking Elite, meh, they're both space games with very different mechanics from what I can see, last time I played Star Citizen I hated it and I'm not alone.

Of course - off topic - the building impression is we might never see SC!

That's going to be a fascinating (legal) scandle if it does fall apart!

Soldato
They're going for a minimum viable product release to cover themselves from what I've read recently, not that it will stop people going for a nice legal scandal :D

Soldato
AS far a s I see it, I think there are a few issue with perception and application of the game.

First off
The perception that this is a finished and polished game. Far from it. It has a road map and I am guessing that is not stuck in stone. So better to say ever evolving.

As well as that, there is a perception that the game is both causal and career. By that I mean causal players, like myself, can drop back into the game at any point and the core mechanics will be roughly the same as when I last put my HOTAS down.

Then you have the full time players who have considerably more time invested and as such have a greater understanding of how the game is progressing. They also have a different take on the additions and tweaks made to the game play mechanics. These two perceptions do not always marry up and can be (understatement) a point of friction... Git Gud n Whaaa as seen on the forum.

So from that side, ED are having to take the middle ground on polar positions. They have to appease the casual players at the same time appeasing the career players. That is a fine line to walk and I am not sure ED are managing it. In fact the repeated buff/nurf of the AI is to go by, then it is just making the the community scratch their heads and whaaaaa at each other more. The best comment I have seen on that was "stop moaning, you have been playing a broken game since 1.4 and they have just put it right again" reply " I only been playing since 2.0"

Second, Application. I am not sure the idea of a season pass and the content released necessarily match up. Engineers really is a stick your finger in the air job. I still, to this day, do not understand why after collecting many items to upgrade specific module, we then have to pull the handle of a fruit machine... That is a very lazy way to increase the grind or a instant jackpot....
As for as what can come next? well I just don't know. The more I play it the more it feels like Galaxy on fire 2 (best ever game on the ipad)

All I know is the game needs both good application of new content whilst making sure both sides of the playing community are satisfied.

I am about to causally start playing again and I am not sure what I want to do TBH. I will see how the space lies and might reequip my python and have a mission fest or stay in my vulture and blast around space... We will see.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Ok we will use the word full time player to assume its the core game and they sink hours into it. However FD answer to this is GRIND, this is my issue. GRIND = lazy gameplay content mechanic.

Soldato
I think the main issues with the engineers are two fold, the first being that had they and the materials been there since day one players would have naturally collected a fair amount of the requisite materials for upgrades while simply playing, this didn't happen and because of that everybody who is in their ship of choice rather than still making progression to said ship now expects to be able to skip what would have been simply another facet of the game from the start. The second is simply that given the rarity of some materials and the amount of time required to find them and attain reputation with the engineers that the RNG is simply not needed as a method of slowing down the acquisition of engineered modules.

I'm still in favour of some form of randomness just so that we don't end up with a new meta, but having played 2.1 for a while I will agree this is probably not the way to achieve it.

Soldato
Dano, whats this Rise to Power stuff about? I cant believe I missed this?

Also where can I go to learn more about these community goals? Its not very clear from ingame where to go on this?

Soldato
They'll show up on any mission board at the top highlighted in white, on the Galactic Map as icons and Galnet usually has articles on them too.

They can be very lucrative, I made around 11m for an hour or twos worth of combat zone hunting in the recent Durano one :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom