The Long Dark - Survival Simulator **No zombies!**

Associate
I was checking out Nether and whether to spend a few quid on that (I'm not!) when I came across this in the comments of RPS.

Looks really intriguing, I like the style of it and the wilderness setting. Most of all I like the fact there are no zombies/mutants/monsters which seem to go hand in hand with this type game now. It had a Kickstarter (which succeeded) and you can still pledge directly on their site.

Anyway here's some spiel and a vid.

http://www.intothelongdark.com/

Imagine the lights go out, never to return. Bright aurora flare across the sky, and all humanity’s technological might is laid to waste, neutralized in a kind of quiet apocalypse. Everything that has shielded humanity from the disinterested power of Mother Nature is suddenly wrenched from us, dropping us a few links down the food chain. Food and water are scarce. The roads are no longer safe. And winter approaches…

Welcome to The Long Dark, the inaugural title from Hinterland, a new independent game studio comprised of veteran developers from the triple-A game industry. Hinterland’s core team members have collectively worked on over 40 triple-A games on console and PC, and are now turning their talents to creating an independent game — an immersive survival simulation for the PC.

The Long Dark is a thought-provoking, first-person survival simulation that emphasizes quiet exploration in a stark, yet hauntingly beautiful, post-disaster setting.

The breathtakingly picturesque Pacific Northwest frames the backdrop for the drama of The Long Dark. You take on the role of William Mackenzie, a newly stranded bush pilot crashed far from the nearest human habitation. Lost, wounded, and with wolves circling, you’ll have to quickly master basic wilderness survival skills if you’re to last long enough to understand how the world has changed since the aurorae appeared in the sky. And that’s just the beginning.

The Long Dark is a thoughtful, first-person survival simulation that emphasizes quiet exploration in a stark, yet hauntingly beautiful, post-disaster setting. The breathtakingly picturesque Pacific Northwest frames the backdrop for the drama of The Long Dark.

Immersive first-person exploration gameplay featuring a stunning, original art style. Players take on the role of franchise protagonist, Will Mackenzie, as he navigates the savage beauty of the Northern Wilderness and faces the hazards of the new “post-digital” frontier.

Be on the lookout for potential supply caches, all the while using survival skills to overcome hazards introduced by harsh weather, wildlife, lack of food and water, and other survivors.

Deep survival simulation gameplay where every decision matters. Explore a large open world in search of resources, and balance Condition and Willpower against the needs of your daily survival.

Morally challenging scenarios that challenge players to answer the question: “How far will you go to survive?”. Any survivor you meet in the world can be friend or foe. Will you risk your life to discover what they know and selflessly sacrifice for the common good, or live — and potentially die — by the adage “might makes right”?

Rich episodic fiction featuring dozens of locations, a cast of memorable characters, and a mature post-disaster storyline inspired by the creative risk-taking we see in many of today’s exciting television series. This isn’t the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

I will be tracking with interest!

Associate
TLD [The Long Dark] is single player, open world. No zombies or monster -- it's focussed more on surviving against the elements as you explore.

It's also not a "kill everything that moves" type game. There will be NPC characters ti interact with, but you have to be very careful how you proceed with each -- some may be friends who can help you with supplies or (more important) information on resources and things you'll need for survival, others may be looking to rob you when you're not looking. It won't be straight forward good guys/bad guys.

Another reason you can't just rush in and kill everyone is because dying in the game is far more lethal than most -- you can even die 2 weeks after and encounter just from an infection from injuries. They're all trying to survive as well, so you have to try walking a fine line when interacting. You need them, and they need you -- but everyone's ultimate goal is surviving... There will be a lot of moral decisions to be made, many promising to be very uncomfortable.

The game will also have Oculus Rift support (for a really immersive experience).

SIDE NOTES:
Throughout the original KickStarter Campaign (and since), the developers have been very interactive with all the backers [great updates, awesome sense of humour, and very responsive]. Unlike a lot of game developments, everyone feels like they're part of the game building process (including small ordinary backers such as myself) -- there's a real Hinterlander Family feeling.

The developer team aren't newbs either -- the entire core team is formed from very major Triple-AAA experience [leads in their departments, not just general support]. Their credentials will likely make your jaw drop... yeah, they're that good.

The backers physical goods (a lot of great stuff including signed artwork, posters, and TLD t-shirts to name just a few items) are already being prepared for shipping so most backers should receive them before Xmas if you get in on time -- and they're really close to reaching their 3rd stretch goal for even more game bonuses.

You can still back the game through: www.intothelongdark.com

Alpha game version release for backers is tentatively slated for spring 2014, and the backers Beta release is slated for summer 2014 -- definitely consider one of the alpha/beta backing tiers to get your hands on the game long before its public release.

There's a lot of activity on the Hinterland/TLD Forum and it's also worthwhile looking through the original Kickstarter comments section (for a lot of insight, and a good way to see how interactive Hinterland is with gamers).

The game probably won't be to everyone's taste (none are), but should present quite a different feel from the usual action game survival genre. It will be tricky undoing the usual gameplay instinct to just rush in for every battle -- TLD will require a lot more thinking, planning, and tactic strategy if you want to last very long.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on the first Alpha play in the Spring... :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Reminds me of the S.M. Stirling novel, 'Dies the Fire'. Going to be keeping an eye on this one!

EDIT:
Beginning plot of 'Dies the Fire' said:
Mike Havel is a former United States Marine and veteran of the 1991 Persian Gulf War who works as a bush pilot. On March 17, 1998, Havel is flying over the Bitterroot Mountain Range in Idaho when a mysterious event known as "The Change" occurs.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Got my alpha key through and played an hour or two tonight. It is hard!

On my best attempt I wandered around, found a lake with cabins and ice fishing huts to raid for supplies then got adventurous and got eaten by a Wolf when I went to close to it :(

Constant hunger, thirst, fatigue and cold really force you to think how best to use your very limited resources.

Last edited:
Associate
after watching a few videos I think i'll pick it up at the weekend so I can have a bit of time with it. Im just getting into the forest aswell, am liking all these survival games now on pc

Associate
Just had my first go which lasted just over an hour before getting mauled by a wolf. Great looking game which has loads of atmosphere. Plays great and runs well, will defo have a few more goes of it as i am sure i've seen very little. Think i prefer this to the forest as it feels more emmersive.

Worth picking up as we know there will be be a story at some point

Back
Top Bottom