• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fancied giving AMD ago but whats the equivalent?

Associate
Hi All.

Have the wife's PC that she rarely uses and I use for lan Events.

Currently have an Air 240 case with a 980TI Inno Hybrid watercooled GPU..

Fancied giving AMD a go seeing as its been so long since I bought a card from them.

what would be the equivalent AMD product? watercooled AIO would be nice.

Permabanned
Hi All.

Have the wife's PC that she rarely uses and I use for lan Events.

Currently have an Air 240 case with a 980TI Inno Hybrid watercooled GPU..

Fancied giving AMD a go seeing as its been so long since I bought a card from them.

what would be the equivalent AMD product? watercooled AIO would be nice.

I will be looking at second hand or trade.

don't need a brand new GPU for a PC that gets sued twice a year.
Fury X is the (near) equivalent of the 980ti, and it is AIO.

The caveat is that the Fury X is slower than a 980ti so it would be a downgrade and not worth doing, You're only option is Vega and that's not going to be on the secondhand market anytime soon.

Soldato
From what I have read at the moment with all the benches we have seen bar a few games there is no real AMD equivalent and thus will need to be waiting for Vega. On what will come with AIO that is not known at this time at all.

You are stating that you would like 2nd hand etc, I would suggest then there wont really be an upgrade path going on another 12 months or so.

Associate
Well these days there are only a few frames in it, depending on which games you play. However I don't see the point in spending money to side grade or slightly downgrade what you already have in your system as that would just be wasting money.
:)

Associate
OP
It would be a simple swap what i have for something AMD

Was not looking to upgrade just wanted to know nearest possible.. so looks like a second hand FuryX is going to be nearest..

This is nothing more than wanting to try AMD.. s i say this is a second PC that does not get used much.

Associate
Yup, agree with the post directly above me.
980Ti still hovers around top end 1070 and low end 1080 and thats not bad at all.
ATM nothing matches 1080 performance on the AMD side, so yep, wait for VEGA.

Associate
Or let them buy the card that fits all the stated criteria?

Have you looked at the Fury Nano?
Granted slower still but also takes up less space as no AIO attached, less power, less chance of wine, leak, pump failure etc.

No idea what they go for second hand but at the right price it may suit.

Associate
Yup, agree with the post directly above me.
980Ti still hovers around top end 1070 and low end 1080 and thats not bad at all.
ATM nothing matches 1080 performance on the AMD side, so yep, wait for VEGA.

I have checked a few gaming benches and I have never seen the 980Ti competing with top end 1070 or low end 1080. The 980Ti usually sits just under the 1070 in all but three games (Project Cars, Doom and Arkham Knight). It gets nowhere near a 1080. :eek:

What have you been drinking :p

The only thing that AMD have to compete with 1080 would be two RX480s which give it a good run for its money, but falls just short. That and the fact that CF/SLI seems to have taken a slide down the driver support levels is the reason to not go into Multi-GPU right now.
:D

Permabanned
Exactly, The 980ti compares to the 1070 and with the 10 series Nvidia made sure the -70 card was unable to match the -80 when overclocked like it did with the 9 series where many people chose to buy the cheaper 970 because a good overclock gave it performance that was comparable to the stock 980.

Soldato
Why do some people still say a 980ti generally beats all but the best 1070's? Are they people who purchased them at full price just before the 10 series launched and are trying to delude themselves or something?

Soldato
Why do some people still say a 980ti generally beats all but the best 1070's? Are they people who purchased them at full price just before the 10 series launched and are trying to delude themselves or something?

Well it depends. As a list of games which the 980ti is slower, the same or faster here is how it stands:

Slower:

- GTA V
- Alien Isolation
- Battlefield Hardline
- Farcry Primal (although at 4k are same)
- Witcher 3 (by about 4fps so not bad going still)

Same:

- Shadow of Mordor
- Dirt Rally
- Hitman
- Doom
- Fallout 4
- Theif
- Tom Clancy's The Division
- Total War Warhammer

Faster:

- Tomb Raider
- Anno 2205

So there is some merit in saying that the 980Ti is about the same as the 1070. I know that isn't an extensive list or anything but just an overview of what I know.

And when you can pick up a 980Ti for £300 compared to the cheapest 1070 at £390 that is a reasonable saving for very similar performance.

los

los

Associate
The fury x > Fury > Nano are the best AMD cards currently, however as stated they are slower than your 980ti, I was after a 980ti, but settled for a Fury Nitro, it still does a good job at 1440 though even with 4gb HBM memory.
I'm sure if you did a wanted/trade add you will get a lot of offers, I know I would, however you have to be careful with the normal Fury's as they are long cards and probably wouldn't fit in your case.

Back
Top Bottom